Make a case for Chad Mendes over Frankie

Oontyex - Mendez isn't a point fighter and as a result his UFC run isn't mostly controversial decisions Phone Post 3.0
I wouldn't call Frankie a point fighter it's just how his fights turn out. He fights smart it's not like he dry humps his way to victory. Phone Post 3.0

Mendes has 2 losses on his record, both at the hands of the champ. No one else has beat him. Edgar has lost to others, including the champ. That's the argument. Can Conor beat Mendes who hasn't tasted defeat at the hands of anyone else but the Champ? Without the losses to Aldo, Mendes would be undefeated. Phone Post 3.0

ELuke -
Oontyex - Mendez isn't a point fighter and as a result his UFC run isn't mostly controversial decisions Phone Post 3.0
I wouldn't call Frankie a point fighter it's just how his fights turn out. He fights smart it's not like he dry humps his way to victory. Phone Post 3.0
Semantics

His strikes are rarely with the intention of finding a ko and his grappling is rarely with the intention of finding a sub. Call it whatever you want, but as a result he has been disproportionately in fights that had controversial outcomes Phone Post 3.0

ELuke - 

Frankie choked out Cub Swanson with just 4 seconds left in the fight.  A point fighter would've settled for a dominant position and rode out the clock.  Frankie went for the Kill

D241 -
ELuke - 

Frankie choked out Cub Swanson with just 4 seconds left in the fight.  A point fighter would've settled for a dominant position and rode out the clock.  Frankie went for the Kill

Exactly. Also he Ko'ed Maynard as a result of his constant pressure. Just because he doesn't bomb away and have crazy power doesn't mean he doesn't look for the finish. Frankie is a beast Phone Post 3.0

Frankie Comes out to Biggie's "Kick in the door"

The FIRST line of that song-

"Your reign on the top was short like a Leprechaun"

ELuke -
D241 -
ELuke - 

Exactly. Also he Ko'ed Maynard as a result of his constant pressure. Just because he doesn't bomb away and have crazy power doesn't mean he doesn't look for the finish. Frankie is a beast Phone Post 3.0
I'm talking about what he typically does, you're pretending unusual, non-representative moments of his reflect his normal style. Phone Post 3.0

Dont give two fucks about frankie getting another title shot. Lol at an interim belt for someone who's out for only a couple months at most. Phone Post 3.0

D241 -
ELuke - 

It's the same argument people used to drag down Mighty Mouse in his last fight. Yeah, he dominated and got the last-second finish, but it seemed like he waited until there was absolutely no danger in taking a risk and going for a sub.

I don't really think it's a bad thing, Horiguchi and Swanson are both dangerous guys, but the people knocking out Top 10'ers in the opening round are always gonna get more love. Phone Post 3.0

GrilliamG -
D241 -
ELuke - 

It's the same argument people used to drag down Mighty Mouse in his last fight. Yeah, he dominated and got the last-second finish, but it seemed like he waited until there was absolutely no danger in taking a risk and going for a sub.

I don't really think it's a bad thing, Horiguchi and Swanson are both dangerous guys, but the people knocking out Top 10'ers in the opening round are always gonna get more love. Phone Post 3.0
I agree. It's just one of those things with the lighter weight fighters and one unfortunate reason they'll never get the attention the heavyweights do. The speed and quickness of the lighter weight fighters makes it much tougher to land those one strike ko shots that happen in the higher weight classes. Another is the fact that although they can land a ko shot like Mighty Mouse did against Benevidez, it is just far less likely, since they're smaller fighters. Phone Post 3.0

Mende's is 'almost' one-dimensional fighter that rely heavily on wrestling then ground-pound. His striking is mostly throwing heavy over-hand right.

While Frankie has a very fluid combination of striking and wrestling.

Thus, it will be easier for Connor to plan a strategy to beat him. That's why DW chose Mendes as contingency plan :)

D241 -

Make a case for Chad Mendes that will trump-

Frankie "The Answer" Edgar

3-0 since 2014, finishing 2/3 opponents.

UFC's all time Fight of the Night Award Winner, tied with Diego Sanchez

8 Fight of the Night awards

3 Championship fights which he was awarded Fight of the Night, 1 of those was against Aldo.

Variable-Head to Head comparison

Two common opponents-

Cub Swanson-Mendes won via decision, Frankie submitted him

Jose Aldo-Mendes got knocked out first meeting, Frankie had Fight of the Night in a fight that could've been a draw

Mendes is more exciting. He's shown drastic improvement. That's all we need. He dropped Aldo and put him in dangerous spots. Frankie got boxed up and his only chance is confusing the judges with his movement.

When a guy's only chance is point fighting, I'm not encouraged to give him a shot. Phone Post 3.0

The arguments for Mendes have been nothing short of opinion and preference, not actual substance.

I'll acknowledge a good argument if I hear one, so far i haven't.

frankie lost 4/5 rounds to aldo, yet people say it was close

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/02/aldo-vs-edgar-official-ufc-statistics.html

Mendes will struggle with the new testing. Phone Post 3.0

ranier wolfcastle - 

frankie lost 4/5 rounds to aldo, yet people say it was close

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/02/aldo-vs-edgar-official-ufc-statistics.html

Can I use your logic of justifying what judges think, and stretch it all across the board?

*Jose Aldo/Frankie Edgar-UFC 156

Joseph Benavidaz/Ian McCall-UFC 156

Gleison Tibau/Evan Dunham-UFC 156

Isaac Vallie-Flag/Yves Edwards-UFC 156

Picket/Easton-UFC Fuel Sweden

Lyoto Machida/Dan Henderson-UFC 157

Takanori Gomi/Diego Sanchez-UFC Fuel 8

Carlos Condit/Johny Hendkricks-UFC 158

Patrick Cote/Bobby Voelker-UFC 158

Uriah Hall/Kelvin-Tuf 17 Finale

*John Dodson/Demetrious Johnson-Fox 6

Hatsu Hioki/Clay Guida-Fox 6

Francis Carmont/Lorenz Larkin-Fox 7

Tim Means/Jorge Masvidal-Fox 7

*Gilbert Melendez/Benson Henderson-Fox 7

Rafael dos Anjos/Evan Dunham-Fx 8

Dennis Bermudez/Max Holloway-UFC 160

Mike Pyle/Rick Story-UFC 160

Rashad Evans/Dan Henderson-UFC 161

Every fight that didn't end in a finish-UFC 161

Andrew Craig/Chris Leben-UFC 162

Phil Davis/Lyoto Machida-UFC 163

Urijah Hall/John Howard-UFC FN 26/Fox Sports1

Manny Gamburyan/Cole Miller-UFC FN 26/Fox Sports1

Diego Brandao/Daniel PinedaCol-UFC FN 26/Fox Sports1

Whittaker/McGee-UFC Fight Night 27(30-27/27-30/29-28 judges scorecards)

*Jones/Gustafsson-UFC 165

Demian Maia/Jake Shields-UFN 29

Gilbert Melendez/Diego Sanchez-UFC 166

*King Mo/Emanuel Newton-Bellator 106

*Eddie Alvarez/Michael Chandler-Bellator 106

Robbie Lawler/Rory Macdonald-UFC 167

*George St Pierre/Johny Hendricks-UFC 167

Mark Hunt/Antonio Silva-UFC Brisbane(Judges got it RIGHT)

Barboza/Castillo-UFC Fox 9

Thomson/Henderson-UFC Fox 10

Nick Catone/Tom Watson-UFC 169

Lyoto Machida/Gegard Mousasi-UFC Fight Night 36

Alexis Davis/Jessica Eye-UFC 170

Alex Garcia/Sean Spencer-UFC 171

Jessica Andrade/Raquel Pennington-UFC 171

Kelvin Gastelum/Rick Story-UFC 171

*Johny Hendricks/Robbie Lawler-UFC 171

ALL of these fight outcomes should not be in question because judges said so and we should just leave it at that, right?

Regardless if you picked Jose before he fought Edgar, I have a feeling that if you had a choice to bet before they fought, or just before they announced the decision, you would've been more confident betting before the fight instead of just before the decision was announced. 

I also didn't overlook your stat of what the MAJORITY OF THE FANS felt, which is that MAJORITY of the fans thought Edgar won 48-47.

Mountain Biker - 
Medusas Weave -
Mountain Biker - Mendes is the tougher test over Edgar imo. McGregor beats them both though Phone Post 3.0

put down the crack pipe
If McGregor can defend their takedowns or get up easily then he wins. I think he can defend them.

How is that crazy? If he gets taken down then he'll lose a decision or get a guard type submission Phone Post 3.0

Because he got taken down by a gassed Siver, which is also the reason why the UFC didn't put any wrestlers on his way to the title fight. You really think he has a better chance on the ground than BJ did against Frankie?

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/20140706091359_cccc.PNG

People forget mendez was just a lay n pray. Point fighter until recently. Phone Post 3.0