Making my 1st website...need help

I am just starting to make my first website and I think I am going to need some help to say the least...

I am using Frontpage but it seems like a pain in the ass, am I better off using yahoo's Sitebuilder tool. I have heard a lot about Frontpage but for a rookie like me is it too much? Is there somewhere I should go for help with frontpage or just pick up a book from barnes and noble?

Also, what program should I use for some basic images. For Example, if my website was called "The Ninja Site" How would I make it so that I didn't have to use basic fonts to write out the title?

I know these seem stupid but I am new to all of this and would really appreciate some help.

Help a brother out!

Thanks.

Personally I prefer DreamWeaver over Frontpage (and almost all the web developers that I know agree with DreamWeaver over FrontPage). But go with what you got, personally I think a good starting point is your local library, you need a book on basic HTML for straight HTML I really liked the Sams Teach Yourself HTML book by Laura Lemay. Then get a FrontPage (or DreamWeaver if you decide to switch) book to go along with it. That'll get you started on the basics of web development, but you'll get through HTML pretty quickly and then will want to start moving on to other things such as Flash or Java Script, but the key is to start with HTML

....just to make sure you understand, you can write straight HTML in Notepad if you wanted to, you just change the file to .html and you're good to go, but what FrontPage and DreamWeaver do is they give you an application that make it easy to write the code, you just drag and drop and write stuff and the application makes the HTML code for you. This is what they call WYSISWYG (pronounced wizzy-wig) it stands for What You See Is What You Get

Thanks for the info.

Just out of curiosity, how much does dreamweaver cost?

Also, what program should I use if I want to create very basic graphics for the site? I know it sounds stupid but I am really new to this.

Thanks again for your help.

Adobe/MacroMedia offers a free trial of DreamWeaver on their website, but I don't know how much it costs to purchase after the trial runs out. I took a web development class back in college and I know a lot of people downloaded the trial and then installed a crack so that the application wouldn't expire and they could use it for the entire semester before uninstalling it. However, I can't sit here and advocate you doing that b/c obviously it's wrong and there is a lot of hard work that goes into developing such an application and the programmers deserve to get their cut.

But remember you can start out doing straight HTML in notepad, you don't need a fancy application. In fact I personally believe it's better to first learn the HTML and code side of what you're doing before moving on to DreamWeaver because you'll often see people who only use DreamWeaver and when it wont do exactly what they want they don't know how to go in and adjust the code accordingly.

For graphics most people use Adobe Photoshop, again that costs though. A free alternative you can look into is called GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/).

HOwever, I understand that you're all excite and what to jump into it head-first, however I really think it's important to start at the beginning and build your solid foundation before moving up. If you sat there and tried to learn HTML, JavaScript, Photoshop, and everything else all at once it'll just become a train wreck. I still say checking out your local library and getting a good HTML book is the place to start, it'll take a little longer but in the end it'll be worth it. Also, if your local library is like mine you're able to go online and see what books they have in stock. If you can do that then look it up and see what they have available and check what the book reviews on Amazon.com are for those books, that way when you go htere you know which books are good ones to pick up and start with.

Someone people might come on here and disagree with me but personally I think you should start with just straight HTML. Then after that you can start picking up DreamWeaver and Photoshop together. The reason you can do DreamWeaver and Photoshop (or GIMP) more or less together is because with both you're basically learning how the applciation works, and DreamWeaver is an application that is writing HTML code for you (something which according to this you just learned, so it's a natural progression). Then afterwards you can start going out and learning more advanced stuff (JavaScript, PHP, ASP, etc).

Oh and in the Photoshop/GIMP comparison, it's important to note that GIMP is a solid free application for you to use personally. However, if you wanted to get into web development and then start looking for a job, you're going to need to know Photoshop b/c that's what most companies will be using

I completely agree with the above. If you jump into dreamweaver or another IDE you will get lost immediately. Make some basic stuff with notepad so you know what is going on behind the scenes.

First just get something to show up on the screen.

Then i'd look into tables and see how you can set up a basic site with tables with a banner at the top, menu on the left and content on the right. Then you will see how different browsers and resolutions affect the look of your site.

Then i'd look into frames even though they are mostly usused nowadays.

Once you have that down i'd look into CSS so you can see how to build a website that you can change (fonts and other formatting) with one line of code changing rather than having to redo the whole site.

Then i'd look into JavaScript to make drop-down menus and other effects.

After that you can try hooking up your website to a database and see how having a dynamic data source can make your website seem alive.

The beauty is that all these areas of web design can be learned pretty easily with the help of Google and your brain.

"Then i'd look into tables and see how you can set up a basic site with tables with a banner at the top, menu on the left and content on the right. Then you will see how different browsers and resolutions affect the look of your site.

Then i'd look into frames even though they are mostly usused nowadays. "

No way.

If you're going commando, do it the right way the first time. CSS + XHTML. Only use tables and frames if you want a website 5 years behind the times.

I'm just saying he should learn the progression. Just like if he wants to learn Db's he should start with a small, simple Access app rather than a huge SQL Server app.

Kind of like starting out in TKD if you want to be an MMA fighter?

I highly recommend learning the modern style of development from the start. I've heard really good things about the book Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML. Whatever you do, good luck.

Just a note on IDE's, if you intend to design and implement websites on a regular basis, Dreamweaver is the way to go. However, if you are just doing the occasional page, and want something quick and easy, I would recommend a program called Webstyle, published by a company called Xara.

Or....if you don't want to learn programming and just want to type and whatnot...you can go to live-suite.com. We have applications on a huge sun server that if you want to put up a site...we configure this app for you and it'll let you put up a web site very easily and quickly.

If you can type and upload a picture or a gazillion you can create a site with our app.

http://www.live-suite.com