Making your own mats

Anyone got any experience with this?

Anyone tried with the shredded tires and tarp?

Help would be much appreciated

ttt would like to hear from people who have done this

we duct tapped flattened cardboard boxes together. Either that or use some old burlap rugs.

A couple of monthes ago there was an amazing thread about this. Someone posted detailed instructions for building pretty solid mats and they were easy to follow. I don't know how to go looking for it but hopefully someone can bump it up for you. Good Luck!

If someone could bump up that thread or copy and paste it here?
Sounds great!

Thomas, how many cardboard boxes??? Did you find you could do
full powered throws? How do you stop them from falling apart?

my buddie put one together from several used tires stacked up four high and tied together, then 1/2 plywood covered with 2" of high density comercial foam, covered by canvas. i got thrown on it and it was very forgiving. good size to appx 15x15 nice job

I built some decent mats with this design. First I bought some heavy carpet padding from a carpet guy I know. The rolls are six feet wide so you will have to tape sections with duct tape for desired size. I made mine 11'x9' to fit my basement. Anywayz, I lay one tarp down and put the layers of padding down stacked. Then put another tarp over the top to match the edges of the one underneath. Now roll the edges toward the padding from all four sides until they are as snug as you can get them. You may need to cut the excess from the length wise rolled edge before you can roll the ends snug, if you get what I mean. Now I used two foot sections of plastic stripping from a screen door framing and layed them over the folds a couple feet apart. Getting the edge of the stripping as snug as possible secure the two foot section with machine screws(washers on both sides, lock washer and lock nut. I used like 1" or 3/4" screws I think. So it is pretty much a giant zip-lok bag with padding inside. The mat surface is alittle loose in this design but not excessively. I thought about using a heat gun to shrink up the plastic, but thought it may make it weak. Either way its pretty sturdy and easy to clean witha mild bleach solution.

Grappling on burlap is the best! It really tightens your game up. Oh yeah, I'm talkin about no-gi grappling.

I heard they do the shredded tires and tarp thing in Brazil. It's supposed to make good, cheap mats.

we made a suspended floor (judo floor) on a rubber base, with 2 inches of foam and seamless cover - 24'x 36' for a fraction of the cost of a purchsed mat and it has way better performance. The flooring system is fast enough to box on, but has enough spring in it to absorb the big judo throws and wrestling slams. We will sell custom packages to fit your needs. You can buy design only,
design - foam - seamless cover &material list for remaining items,
Or.. if it will work out logistically.. you can get a turnkey mat we will build it for you. Email if interested.. bogart6868@hotmail.com

" Anywayz, I lay one tarp down and put the layers of padding down stacked. Then put another tarp over the top to match the edges of the one underneath. Now roll the edges toward the padding from all four sides until they are as snug as you can get them. You may need to cut the excess from the length wise rolled edge before you can roll the ends snug, if you get what I mean. Now I used two foot sections of plastic stripping from a screen door framing and layed them over the folds a couple feet apart. Getting the edge of the stripping as snug as possible secure the two foot section with machine screws(washers on both sides, lock washer and lock nut. I used like 1" or 3/4" screws I think. So it is pretty much a giant zip-lok bag with padding inside."

Need a little help with terminology.

What is the definition of:

Tarp-?
Padding-?
Two foot sections of plastic stripping from a screen door framing-?

Maybe then I can get the rest of the procedure.

colubrid1-

Tarp is the same tarp (Plastic sheet) you would use to cover something outdoors, the ones with metal gromets on the edge. They come in all sizes to fit your needs. I mentioned I got the "padding" from a guy who does carpet install. You can buy carpet padding at any home depot or menards. Just get the stuff made from foam particles that is like 3/4" thick. The plastic stripping can be found with the screen doors at menards it is used to frame the door snuggly in the wooden door frame. I cut them into two foot sections so I could easily roll up the mat for storage.