Man Leaves Infant in Car -- Legit Mistake?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-man-charged-murder-after-leaving-baby-hot-car-n135696

This story made national news. I'm casual Facebook acquaintances with a couple of guys who know this dude, although I don't know him at all. On Facebook they -- and pretty much everybody who is "commenting" on their posts about this -- are going on and on about how "understandable" it is that a mistake like this can happen, etc.

I have kids -- and while I can see getting distracted and driving past the daycare, or maybe even getting all the way to work before you remember, I'm not so sure I can buy just totally forgetting that your infant is in the car while you spend seven hours inside working. How does it never occur to you at all that, "damn, I had the baby in the back seat this morning"?

What say you, OG -- can this really be a legitimate mistake, or is this criminal?

Hasn't this unfortunaltey happened numerous times?  of course it is a mistake... you think he and everyone else was actually trying to get away with murder?

It can be a legit mistake but it doesn't also mean that it isn't criminal.

a few years ago I got about 10 miles down the road before I realized I had my daughter in the back seat. Had to turn around take her back to daycare. 7 hours is a long time to forget about the baby.

1 Like

Criminal.

No idea how you can forget your kid.

Even if this was his 1st time taking care of his kid, there is no excuse for FORGETTING your infant in a car and letting him bake to death.

Too bad there isnt a way to return the favor...

1 Like

It's an unforgiveable mistake.

1 Like

I have made mistakes of incredible forgetfulness; I would like to think that I wouldn't make a mistake of that magnitude, but I can imagine a guy who isn't getting much sleep and is under a bunch of stress at home and at work making that kind of mistake and not realizing it for a while. He is still accountable for that mistake, but I wouldn't assume it was deliberate.

1 Like

A mistake does not mean a lack of moral consequence. Phone Post 3.0

1 Like

My daughter is my whole world I can't possibly imagine forgetting her in my car while I work. Inexcusable Phone Post 3.0

It's debatable whther the mistake is criminal but how the hell do they charge him with murder?

Negligent manslaughter at the worst.

The Green Bastard - 

Hasn't this unfortunaltey happened numerous times?  of course it is a mistake... you think he and everyone else was actually trying to get away with murder?

No clue. People have murdered their own children -- it's not like that's never happened. I have no reason at all to think this guy had premeditation or anything.

I'm just at a loss to imagine legitimately forgetting about the child completely for seven hours. That is just unfathomable to me. I mean, I can't imagine forgetting long enough to get out of the car and go into work, but to not have something click somewhere during seven hours of work seems like a whole 'nother notch of hard to imagine.

And yeah, I'm not sure what they really mean by using "murder" in that article -- haven't heard anything to suggest any evidence of premeditation. Really seems like criminal neglect or manslaughter, I guess.

mynameisMud - My daughter is my whole world I can't possibly imagine forgetting her in my car while I work. Inexcusable Phone Post 3.0
Are you on POF? Phone Post 3.0

1 Like

In before DBT

That sucks...

I feel bad if I leave my kids in the car for 5 minutes to grab gas or dinner.

I'm sure mistakes do happen but damn. Phone Post 3.0

Man, that story happened here locally and it just made me sick when I read about it....ever since I had my daughter, I have this irrational fear of leaving her in the car accidentally, I would never do it but it is a phobia of mine. 

I honestly can't even imagine what the feeling of sheer panic must have been like when the moment of realization hit that the kid was in the back seat. Fuck...I honestly would have ended my own life @ that moment as a father. 

I don't even feel the need to think about what type of crime he should be guilty of, because I can't imagine he is anything other than devastated and whatever he is charged with will be insult to injury. 

The only thing I can think is that dude does drugs Phone Post 3.0

I think we would have heard about any kind of substance impairment if that was the case.

It's a horrifying mistake and my heart goes out to people who have done this. I can feel compassion for those people and not think they need to be punished while still feeling like anyone who does this is mentally sort of detached from their kid, detached in general, or both though. I'm so jaded, the first thought that comes to my head after I hear about one of these cases is, "I wonder if this person was on antidepressants?"

I bet they have him on suicide watch.

Fuck how would you be able to live with yourself. Phone Post 3.0

1 Like

EricDraven -
mynameisMud - My daughter is my whole world I can't possibly imagine forgetting her in my car while I work. Inexcusable Phone Post 3.0
Are you on POF? Phone Post 3.0
What? No man I'm married and have a penis Phone Post 3.0

Barbasol OOTFFTT - It can be a legit mistake but it doesn't also mean that it isn't criminal.

a few years ago I got about 10 miles down the road before I realized I had my daughter in the back seat. Had to turn around take her back to daycare. 7 hours is a long time to forget about the baby.
This.

Maybe it wasn't intentional, but its criminal negligence.

He isn't fit to have kids if he is forgetting they are in the car. Phone Post 3.0