Man Leaves Infant in Car -- Legit Mistake?

From the Article: Witnesses saw him pull over in a shopping center in Atlanta.

He "hopped out of the driver's seat, opened the back door and laid [the infant] on the concrete and tried to resuscitate him," one witness told WXIA.

Witnesses also told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the man appeared distraught and was screaming.

"What have I done? What have I done?" they heard him scream. "I've killed our child."

Harris reportedly had to be handcuffed when officers arrived. Medical personnel attempted CPR, but were unable to revive the child.

holy shit

I've done this

I posted about it in DBT's thread

I remembered as soon as I was in the parking lot though... I didn't get out and leave my kid in there.

I spaced out on the way to work and passed right by my son's daycare.

I couldn't see going thru a whole day and not remembering your kid didn't make it to daycare that day. I randomly think about my kids all day.

Damn that is a long time to forget about your child. That would be the worst feeling imaginable. Phone Post 3.0

"I'm just at a loss to imagine legitimately forgetting about the child completely for seven hours. That is just unfathomable to me. I mean, I can't imagine forgetting long enough to get out of the car and go into work, but to not have something click somewhere during seven hours of work seems like a whole 'nother notch of hard to imagine."

that's what I mean... thru the whole day he wasn't wondering about how his child was doing at daycare?

makes me think it's possible that it was deliberate

Barbasol OOTFFTT - From the Article: Witnesses saw him pull over in a shopping center in Atlanta.

He "hopped out of the driver's seat, opened the back door and laid [the infant] on the concrete and tried to resuscitate him," one witness told WXIA.

Witnesses also told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the man appeared distraught and was screaming.

"What have I done? What have I done?" they heard him scream. "I've killed our child."

Harris reportedly had to be handcuffed when officers arrived. Medical personnel attempted CPR, but were unable to revive the child.

Yeah -- it sounds like he not only forgot about the kid all day long while he worked, but didn't remember when he went back out to the car. It didn't occur to him until sometime on his way home again.

It seems like even if you could actually forget when you get out of the car at work, and even if you could go all day long without it occurring to you, surely it would hit you as you get back in the car after work, right?

I'm still just really baffled at home you could forget for THAT long.

in a hot car all day, same diaper

you would smell the baby as soon as you got in the car

1 Like

There is no way you can forget a child in a car. I took care of both of my infant sons, working long shifts in a dangerous environment.

Kierkegaard - 
The Green Bastard - 

Hasn't this unfortunaltey happened numerous times?  of course it is a mistake... you think he and everyone else was actually trying to get away with murder?

No clue. People have murdered their own children -- it's not like that's never happened. I have no reason at all to think this guy had premeditation or anything.

I'm just at a loss to imagine legitimately forgetting about the child completely for seven hours. That is just unfathomable to me. I mean, I can't imagine forgetting long enough to get out of the car and go into work, but to not have something click somewhere during seven hours of work seems like a whole 'nother notch of hard to imagine.

And yeah, I'm not sure what they really mean by using "murder" in that article -- haven't heard anything to suggest any evidence of premeditation. Really seems like criminal neglect or manslaughter, I guess.

fiction, but a creepy read.  http://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/19fmjf/autopilot/

1 Like

I'm sure some of these incidents are definitely accidents but regardless your responsible for your child. It's a horrible situation all around and is a major bummer for everyone involved.

Super sad story, I feel horrible for the family. Phone Post 3.0

Freeman - 

^obviously you're wrong because it fucking happens.

I agree though about not even thinking about your kid for a whole work day. That's fucked up. But maybe he was very stressed at work.

Just a horrible story.

It does happen but there is no way you can drive a vehicle with a child in the car seat and forget they are there. What the hell are they doing? talking on the phone? Texting? When my sons were very young, at every red light or stop sign I was constantly checking on them adjusting the seat belts etc.
As a parent I can't see someone forgetting a living breathing baby.

My mom did that to me once. I'm not kidding.

This was many years back when she was mixed up with my dad, doing lots of PCP. I was only a toddler. She was coming off of a bender and went inside the house to sleep. It wasn't until hours later that my Grandmother woke her up and asked her where I was. They rushed out to get me, and I was covered in sweat. It happens, but the circumstances of how and why it happens comes into question.

P.S: This isn't even the only incident of something similar like that happening to me. I also flew out of a passenger side window while in my moms arms, but because she was so high, she didn't have a good hold of me. Rolled around the pavement and got all kinds of scratches all over me. The paramedics/firefighters that were called to give me aid, definitely weren't happy, and told her she was lucky they didn't call the cops.

Yep! I had pretty fucked up parents.

One time the bus driver forgot I was still on the bus and skipped the last few stops and started driving back to the depot. I scared the shit out of him when I asked "Where are we going?". Unforgivable.

They had this lady on CNN today who this happened to. She said that her and her husband had a routine and then something with her work in the morning disrupted the normal routine.

The child was sitting behind her seat, she went to work thinking she had already dropped the child off. The daycare called later in the day to check on the child and she said what are you talking about, I dropped her off earlier this morning. She went running to the parking lot and it was too late.

She now counsels parents in similar situations.

Crazy!

mongrel 911 -
Freeman - 

^obviously you're wrong because it fucking happens.

I agree though about not even thinking about your kid for a whole work day. That's fucked up. But maybe he was very stressed at work.

Just a horrible story.

It does happen but there is no way you can drive a vehicle with a child in the car seat and forget they are there. What the hell are they doing? talking on the phone? Texting? When my sons were very young, at every red light or stop sign I was constantly checking on them adjusting the seat belts etc.
As a parent I can't see someone forgetting a living breathing baby.

This Phone Post 3.0

Apparenlty this is the second occurence this week (earlier in the week a baby was left in a car in Florida...) 

Crazy too that this guy apparently worked @ the Home Depot headquarters in ATL.  He realized that his son was still in the car @ the Akers Mill Shopping area which is about 10 minutes down the road in normal traffic...so he actually got down the road a ways before realizing. 

How do you punish him? Take what little money he has and make him work harder/more? Put him in jail and cause even more problems for him and his family?

FFS he prolly was working 1-2 jobs and was on NO sleep. Perhaps the problem is a man working 40+ hours a week can barely support himself + 1 child much less a family.

I think this case was an honest mistake that unfortunately ended in killing a child. I feel bad for all involved.

Uggh...they are now seemingly saying this may not be an accident...

Now, Cobb County, Georgia, police imply there is more -- much more -- to the story.

"Much has changed about the circumstances leading up to the death of this 22-month-old since it was first reported," Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce told CNN. He would not elaborate, citing an ongoing investigation, but his words made it clear this was not just another case of a young life left and lost to heat exposure in a hot car.

"I've been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather," said Pierce.

McSurly - Someone just got banned, thread is down a couple posts. Hope its not me.

Not me.

Didn't mean to quote that. Phone Post 3.0