man, this dude's bjj is off the chain.

I posted on the judo forum asking Justin to respond to your specific questions. I have watched him at the US Nationals and ranked US tournaments in the past but do not know him personally.

that highlight clip is the shit though.

perfect music for that sport.

man, i wish i got into judo as a kid. my dad gave me two options as a kid (he's off the boat from greece): 1) soccer, or 2) wrestling.

imagine how pissed i was that there was no wrestling in my hs!

so i did boxing/kickboxing instead. fuck soccer. too many injuries ;)

great stuff

He's an Edson carvalho guy right? Sick

^ nice. well played

Empire - that highlight clip is the shit though.

perfect music for that sport.

man, i wish i got into judo as a kid. my dad gave me two options as a kid (he's off the boat from greece): 1) soccer, or 2) wrestling.

imagine how pissed i was that there was no wrestling in my hs!

so i did boxing/kickboxing instead. fuck soccer. too many injuries ;)

Soccer is the worst sport for injuries. I played up to a year in College, and had more knee and ankle injuries than I could keep track of. Would be safer to let Palhares heel hook me.

paul harris is an amazing soccer player.

ChipW - 
judoblackbelt - Justin Flores judo style is an extension of his wrestling background. And he developed them into world class judo skills. His style is not the norm in judo. Vegard- Justin posts on the judo forum as jayflo145. I think he does seminars but is retired from competitive judo. Numerous injuries (over the years) has taken its toll on him he told is in a post. Joe Canada- not sure what is meant by "showing their palms up"? Can you be more specific of a time in the clip.

Judoblackbelt,
Do you know which sport Justin spent the most time on in his youth? In the video I saw he was in Japan doing judo at age 11 but he must of spent a lot of time wrestling as well to make it to the college level. Id be interested in knowing what his early training consisted of if anyone knows.

Thanks.

Yo yo yo! I truly feel special here with all the kind words and comments. This compilation was created by my brother (also a 3x Senior National Judo Champ) who is more a fan of the stand up game, so he tailored the video to have more a "tachiwaza" feel (standing judo) whereas I am more of the thought that ground work and standing are ONE and can be fused by a good transition game. Maybe I ll see if my bro wants to get his editing hat on and put together more ground stuff for the BJJ crowd.

To answer some of your questions, I was taught judo by my father from a VERY young age (7), with my brother. I began wrestling some time later in high school, I was able to apply my judo to wrestling fairly quick and become a All-American in HS and earned a full scholarship to the University of Nebraska.

Now that my hay-day has come to an end with my body being pretty banged up, I decided it would be smart to save what little I have left of my knees for future endevours. Still love rolling though and I teach a few nights a week to pass down some of the knowledge I have acquired from 25 yrs of competition. Thanks for posting guys! CHEERS!!

Badass bro! Phone Post

nice

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.

thanks for replying.

That video is awesome.

Justin is first class judo/bjj and a person to boot. Appreciate his response to your questions.

ttt for a great judoka

joe canada - Judoblackbelt:

5:10 -- Flores is going for a reverse triangle, and his opponent is extending both palms.

5:20 -- Flores is going for a choke, same response from his opponent.

Seems like the opponent is trying to let the ref know he's not tapping. Or is it that he's showing he's not basing on a hand and that therefore the triangle shouldn't be legal as they're not grounded? (I heard that arm-bars and triangles weren't legal on a standing opponent, but readily admit I am not up to speed on Judo rules)

Thanks for your help!
Yes Ibanez was trying to get a matte call.

In newaza, the rules are that a matte is called whenever both players leave newaza. Standing qualifies as one player leaving as does being lifted off of the mat. Thus, armbars or traingles against a standing opponent are legal, but if tori is lifted off the mat matte is called. Ibanez was trying to recognize that Flores had left newaza and then signal to the ref that he had left as well, resulting in a matte call. Both times it worked, although I have no clue why there was a matte call for the triangle turnover, Flores had the guy and was still in contact with the mat.

Anyhow, the rule is kind of stupid.

Appreciate the explanation from HYG. Since I couldn't see the ref I didn't want to comment. One of the idiocincracies of judo. Not the norm. And you need an experienced ref. to recognize it and make the call.

WRESTLENOW - i watched that video and its clear that man is a wrestler.

take your trolling elsewhere, esp when the guy in the vids is on this forum answering questions.

That is awesome

jayflo, have you ever trained with Dave Camarillo?