Man tortured/killed for shoplifting $5 worth.

'Murica.....land of the free....where being mentally ill and shoplifting $5 worth of shit will get you tortured and killed.

Family of mentally ill man who died in jail files $60M suit

The family of a mentally ill man who died in a Virginia jail cell after losing so much weight his heart stopped filed a $60 million wrongful death lawsuit Tuesday against several jail officials and health-care providers.

The complaint, filed in U.S. District Court in Norfolk, claims correctional officers at the Portsmouth jail physically abused and withheld food from Jamycheal Mitchell. One inmate said some officers named in the lawsuit treated Mitchell "like a circus animal," the lawsuit says. Mitchell also was dragged, punched, kicked and sprayed with mace by jailers who goaded medical personnel into ignoring the inmate's deteriorating health, according to the lawsuit.

Lawyers for the main defendants — the Hampton Roads Regional Jail Authority and Naphcare Inc., which provides medical services at the Portsmouth jail — did not respond to telephone messages seeking comment.

Mitchell, who suffered from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, was jailed in April 2015 after allegedly stealing $5 worth of snacks from a convenience store. He was found dead in his cell three months later after losing 46 pounds. A medical examiner said Mitchell died of heart failure accompanied by "wasting syndrome," or severe weight loss.

State investigators have said that a judge twice ordered Mitchell transferred to a state mental hospital, but his name was never placed on the hospital's waiting list because of clerical errors.

Two state agencies investigated the death but were unable to determine exactly what happened at the jail.

Jail officials conducted their own investigation and cleared employees of any wrongdoing. Details of that investigation have not been made public.

I'm sure it was that simple.  The jailers said, ' this dude needs tortured and killed for stealing 5. worth of shit!" 

There's nothing else to the story at all.  Just that. 

I know there's no simple "a-ha" solution, but the treatment of mental health issues as criminal issues (and YES, i know that they commit crimes due to their mental health issues) is a problem.

I have no idea how you would fix it, but jails and prison staff are NOT equipped to deal well with mentally ill prisoners, and it's not in society's best interest to have them do so.

Fighting - 

I'm sure it was that simple.  The jailers said, ' this dude needs tortured and killed for stealing 5. worth of shit!" 

correctional officers at the Portsmouth jail physically abused and withheld food from Jamycheal Mitchell. One inmate said some officers named in the lawsuit treated Mitchell "like a circus animal," the lawsuit says. Mitchell also was dragged, punched, kicked and sprayed with mace by jailers who goaded medical personnel into ignoring the inmate's deteriorating health,

Sounds like torture to me.  Not to mention, he was locked up for 3 fucking months for a $5 theft.  That alone is abusive, especially given that the guy was mentally ill.  

angryinch -
Fighting - 

correctional officers at the Portsmouth jail physically abused and withheld food from Jamycheal Mitchell. One inmate said some officers named in the lawsuit treated Mitchell "like a circus animal," the lawsuit says. Mitchell also was dragged, punched, kicked and sprayed with mace by jailers who goaded medical personnel into ignoring the inmate's deteriorating health,

Sounds like torture to me.  Not to mention, he was locked up for 3 fucking months for a $5 theft.  That alone is abusive, especially given that the guy was mentally ill.  

I do agree that he shouldn't even have been locked up for 3 hours for a 5. theft. 

I just know that 99% o COs aren't torturing people for no damn reason.  Especially not petty theft. 

Purely a guess here, but I'm going to say the schizo guy refused to eat. 

Fighting - 
angryinch -
Fighting - 

I do agree that he shouldn't even have been locked up for 3 hours for a 5. theft. 

I just know that 99% o COs aren't torturing people for no damn reason.  Especially not petty theft. 

If you are ever in doubt about how COs treat prisoners, you should read up on the Florida prison system.  

MMAdotCOM - USA is increasingly appearing like a 3rd world country Phone Post 3.0

Our prison system is just as bad as the ones in many 3rd world countries. 

Aside from the loss of weight did his body show signs of abuse? Everyone was in on this, all the way up through the medical personnel? This is the guy they decided to single out for their nefarious sadist desires?

"This is the guy they decided to single out for their nefarious sadist desires?"

Stanford Prison Experiment + a mentally ill inmate is a recipe for disaster.  

I'll reserve judgement until all the facts have been presented. As far as clerical issues go they should be held accountable to some degree if a judge had twice commanded he be moved and they just didn't do it. That's not something that should be swept under the table. Those in charge should be held accountable. There is no reason for petty theft to be anything more then a day stay at the local jail. Something sounds fishy that he was being held for 3 months. I've heard of some depraved stuff that CO's do to inmates from friends who are on both sides of the bars. 3 months for petty theft is just outstandingly wrong and immoral. Now if it was armed robbery or he led police on a lengthy car chase I can understand the jail time. I almost have to question what the family was doing for those three months he was locked up. No attorney? Phone Post 3.0

MMAdotCOM - USA is increasingly appearing like a 3rd world country Phone Post 3.0
Only if you spend all your time on the Internet. Phone Post 3.0

baj54 - I'll reserve judgement until all the facts have been presented. As far as clerical issues go they should be held accountable to some degree if a judge had twice commanded he be moved and they just didn't do it. That's not something that should be swept under the table. Those in charge should be held accountable. There is no reason for petty theft to be anything more then a day stay at the local jail. Something sounds fishy that he was being held for 3 months. I've heard of some depraved stuff that CO's do to inmates from friends who are on both sides of the bars. 3 months for petty theft is just outstandingly wrong and immoral. Now if it was armed robbery or he led police on a lengthy car chase I can understand the jail time. I almost have to question what the family was doing for those three months he was locked up. No attorney? Phone Post 3.0

My guess is that on top of the guy being mentally ill, the family was likely poor and couldn't afford a lawyer.  

MMAdotCOM -
LFTM -
MMAdotCOM - USA is increasingly appearing like a 3rd world country Phone Post 3.0
Only if you spend all your time on the Internet. Phone Post 3.0
You mean reading the news? Phone Post 3.0
You mean looking for stories that match your bias and then using them to justify your worldview? Comparing the US to a third world country is intellectually dishonest.

I'll wait until the facts on this case come out to form a full opinion. If nothing else people should be held accountable for him not being transferred when the judge ordered it. If anyone was complicit in the mans death then they should be held accountable.

Don't let me stop you from making knee jerk reactions without all the facts. It's what people like you and AI are known for. Phone Post 3.0

MMAdotCOM - 
angryinch -
MMAdotCOM - USA is increasingly appearing like a 3rd world country Phone Post 3.0

Our prison system is just as bad as the ones in many 3rd world countries. 

Worse actually Phone Post 3.0

This.  I got thrown in jail in TJ once.  It was just a pleasurable experience beginning to end.  

Jamycheal? I'd be crazy too if that was my name. Phone Post 3.0

How the fuck does a judge order him to be transferred to a mental hospital TWICE and the dude is never even put on the waiting list because of "clerical errors" both times?  This whole thing seems fucky.

Most people who know correction officersno that most of them are about the same level as criminals, and many enter the job to bully and get power, or to mask huge insecurities.

"Mitchell, who suffered from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, was jailed in April 2015 after allegedly stealing $5 worth of snacks from a convenience store. He was found dead in his cell three months later after losing 46 pounds. A medical examiner said Mitchell died of heart failure accompanied by "wasting syndrome," or severe weight loss."

WTF? This is insane! Phone Post 3.0

angryinch -
Fighting - 
angryinch -
Fighting - 

If you are ever in doubt about how COs treat prisoners, you should read up on the Florida prison system.  

This, I have friends who have done bids and there stories are horrifying. It's largely a bunch of dumb rednecks with barely a high school diploma getting paid 10 bucks an hour. If you think that's a recipe for quality good luck to you. Phone Post 3.0

their* Phone Post 3.0