Man with 21 mile commute gets surprise car

Jesús X -
EBD75 - The guy seems really genuine from all the first hand accounts. He takes a bus ride for part of the distance, but there aren't routes available that go all the way (there is almost no public transportation in Detroit). One other thing to consider is the coat of insuring a car in the city. Even a used piece of junk costs $4-5k annually to insure if you live in the city. I don't believe every aspect of the story, but it is hard not to have a tremendous amount of respect for the guy. He hasn't missed a day of work or been late for his entire tenure at the company per his boss. That is almost unfathomable. Phone Post 3.0

I live in urban long beach,ca way more expensive Than michigan,my insurance at full coverage is maybe 2k a year. lol at 4-5k a year in insurance, a house doesnt even cost that much to insure, he could get liability on a bucket for 50-80 a month same price as a buss pass
Car insurance rates are based on how likely the car will be stolen in that area, not how expensive it is to live in that area. Phone Post 3.0

ribz -
ribz - 21 miles to work? Or is that round trip 10.5 miles there and back?

What factory did he work at? Does it have a Union? The auto factories pay good money. Phone Post 3.0
Googled article.

He makes 10.55 an hour. Works at a plastic parts factory.

Cool story, but I could afford a car on 10.55 an hour. Not a new car, but something. Phone Post 3.0
I managed on 7.50 an hour 25 hours a week a 250 payment for almost 2 years.

Granted I was living with parents but still. Phone Post 3.0

Axe Murderer 28 - 
RdotC - How fucking jaded is this thread?

Let's talk shit and run down some guy that didn't even ask for a story to be made about him or for people to give him money.

Fucking disappointing. Phone Post 3.0
And this, Jesus Christ. The guy never asked for this. Phone Post 3.0

No but he is sure accepting it perfectly fine.

I think the problem is people making him out to be some type of hardship case. As I mentioned above people are coming out and bitching at the company for not giving him a raise to counter his hardship. People are ripping on the company saying, i bet the CEO doesn't have to walk that far. Saying, he only makes 10.55 after 10 years...wtf where is his raise. People saying he should be making 20 an hour just because of his attendance. etc

There is just so much of this that doesn't add up.

If the guy just recently had his house burn down, his car stolen, had a family of 5 to feed and was trucking it to work 10 miles each day on foot, yea I think we could all agree this was a great thing to do but everything about this has been shown common sense type solutions.

He had other choices but chose to take the hardest choice. Which honestly makes no sense at all.

easedel -
Axe Murderer 28 - 
RdotC - How fucking jaded is this thread?

Let's talk shit and run down some guy that didn't even ask for a story to be made about him or for people to give him money.

Fucking disappointing. Phone Post 3.0
And this, Jesus Christ. The guy never asked for this. Phone Post 3.0

No but he is sure accepting it perfectly fine.

I think the problem is people making him out to be some type of hardship case. As I mentioned above people are coming out and bitching at the company for not giving him a raise to counter his hardship. People are ripping on the company saying, i bet the CEO doesn't have to walk that far. Saying, he only makes 10.55 after 10 years...wtf where is his raise. People saying he should be making 20 an hour just because of his attendance. etc

There is just so much of this that doesn't add up.

If the guy just recently had his house burn down, his car stolen, had a family of 5 to feed and was trucking it to work 10 miles each day on foot, yea I think we could all agree this was a great thing to do but everything about this has been shown common sense type solutions.

He had other choices but chose to take the hardest choice. Which honestly makes no sense at all.

You have no clue what his circumstances were yet you still choose to judge and talk shit. That says a lot about you.

Of course he's accepting it, who the fuck wouldn't?! Phone Post 3.0

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/02/06/robertson-car-commuter-detroit/22988565/ Phone Post 3.0

On app can't embed but above article cited insurance costs as the reason he didn't get a car after his old one broke ten yes ago. Phone Post 3.0

21 miles a day would be brutal on your feet. Dude has a pile of worn out shoes in his backyard like old tires.

I can't really speak on why he does not have a car after all this time, but living in the area I can tell you that there is not much in the way of public transportation and there is no way he would be able to ride a bicycle all the way from Detroit to Rochester Hills, the roads are just not conducive to it. And obviously that would be impossible in the winter Phone Post 3.0

I work with a Colombian dude in his 50s who rides his bike to/from work every day, he's the happiest guy in the whole place and in good shape Phone Post 3.0

Jesús X -
EBD75 - The guy seems really genuine from all the first hand accounts. He takes a bus ride for part of the distance, but there aren't routes available that go all the way (there is almost no public transportation in Detroit). One other thing to consider is the coat of insuring a car in the city. Even a used piece of junk costs $4-5k annually to insure if you live in the city. I don't believe every aspect of the story, but it is hard not to have a tremendous amount of respect for the guy. He hasn't missed a day of work or been late for his entire tenure at the company per his boss. That is almost unfathomable. Phone Post 3.0

I live in urban long beach,ca way more expensive Than michigan,my insurance at full coverage is maybe 2k a year. lol at 4-5k a year in insurance, a house doesnt even cost that much to insure, he could get liability on a bucket for 50-80 a month same price as a buss pass
As others have stated, insurance costs are directly connected to crime and theft statistics. Google car insurance and detroit to see for yourself.

I'm not sure why so many people are so negative to the guy. A banker who occasionally gave him rides is the one who took the story to the press and a 19 year old college kid is the one who did the fundraiser online. Phone Post 3.0

no buses in Detroit?

Impressive dedication if true though I would imagine he would be as thin as a rake.

Great to see a hard worker rewarded but it really shows the difference between working smart and working hard

Another article I read his boss mentioned how he uses this man as an example of why there is no excuse for others to not make it into work.

I bet the other workers hate him.

If it wasn't for the kindness and generosity of the public and the unique times we live in were people could help him out, what would all this guys hard work be for? To help a company who pay him as little as they possibly can and never reward him? Who only use his dedication as a stick to beat the other workers with?

Would it really have been so bad for him to take the odd sick day?

He walked 21 miles a day in the D? He should get a medal for just surviving that s#it.

scourge - no buses in Detroit?
There are buses in Detroit but not enough and there is no bus system to speak of in Oakland County which is where he works. Phone Post 3.0