Manny Pacquiao RING's #1 welterweight

THE RING’s Ratings Panel of boxing journalists from around the world and the magazine’s Editorial Board were so impressed with Pacquiao’s second showing above 140 pounds (the first was his one-sided beating of Oscar De La Hoya last December) that they installed the fabulous Filipino as the No. 1-rated welterweight.

The move put Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 knockouts) ahead of former Cotto-victim and current beltholder Shane Mosley.

Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs), who lost a unanimous decision to Cotto in November of 2007, was dropped to the No. 2 spot in THE RING’s welterweight rankings.

Floyd Mayweather, the former RING welterweight champ who debuted at No. 2 following his comeback rout of lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez in September, dropped to the No. 3 spot.

Cotto (34-2, 27 KOs) was pushed back to No. 4.

“Manny Pacquiao’s TKO of Miguel Cotto drew a wide array of suggestions from THE RING Ratings Advisory Panel,” said Nigel Collins, Editor-in-Chief of THE RING magazine, “and the majority felt that Pacquiao deserved the top spot. The Editorial Board agrees.

“Shane Mosley (No. 1 last week) has only fought three times at welterweight since he lost the 147-pound title to Vernon Forrest in 2002, winning a decision over Luis Collazo, losing a decision to Cotto, and stopping Antonio Margarito. Mayweather (No. 2 last week) has never faced a true welterweight anywhere as good as Cotto or Margarito, and in his only fight since his lengthy layoff he faced a blown-up lightweight.”

Cotto’s loss to Pacquiao did not affect his pound-for-pound rating in THE RING. The magazine still ranks Cotto No. 7, which means the top four welterweights are also in THE RING’s pound-for-pound Top 10....

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1327/ring_ratings_update/

Seemed like the wrong decision when I first read it, but considering Cotto's loss, Mosely and Mayweather's comparable lack of activity in the division, Williams' move up and Margarito's suspension...well, I guess I can't argue much.

How do u get ranked number one in weight division without ever truly fought a match at the welterweight limit? Weren't both of pac's "welterweight" fights actually catchweight fights at 144?

this is like ranking BJ number 1 at welterweight for beating alves at 165. makes no sense.

Pac is definitely the current p4p number 1 i just think he should have a fight with the 147 welterweight limit before being ranked number 1. If u move up in weight and want the title u need to do it by the rules not ur own special rules.