Marc Ratner quits NSAC,joins ZUFFA

I've already filled in John McCain.  I'm not gonna let these guys turn MMA into a combo of WWE and everything that is bad about boxing.... not to worry...

god, macedawgg, i hope you're right.

"Any particular reason why they only approached CSAC and not the NSAC?"

Well MMA wasn't yet legalized in California, so they were basically starting with a blank slate. I guess Pride saw an opportunity to get in on the ground floor, whereas the NSAC rules were already set and enacting change there would be more difficult.

"I'm not gonna let these guys turn MMA into a combo of WWE and everything that is bad about boxing.... not to worry..."

What's bad about boxing is the unbelievable amount of corruption and incompetence in the sanctioning bodies. MMA doesn't even have any sanctioning bodies.

MMA does have sanctioning bodies.

"Submission®"

Zuffa has copyrighted "submissions". WTF?
What's next? "The"?

Interesting

tenchu--I assume that is a joke

btw... I was just joking

"tenchu--I assume that is a joke "

I am not joking. It's in the press release, earlier in the thread. I wish it was a joke. I hope I am missing something.

but SUBMISSION® is not...

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=dbmjst.2.20

I'm sorry, Barrister can give the even-keeled, legal analysis,

That is freaking weak sauce.

Tenchu--that deserves its own thread IMO. You want to make one?

Cool now they can pay him over the table instead of under it.

Good for the UFC and good for Marc Ratner.

It's not the word "submission" -- it is the stylized form "SUBMISSION" for use on clothing and promotions.... just another brand name, that's all (no worse than Tap-Out, etc.)...

"It's not the word "submission" -- it is the stylized form "SUBMISSION" for use on clothing and promotions.... just another brand name, that's all (no worse than Tap-Out, etc.)... "

Ok, so I can print a T-Shirt with the word submission but it can't be in UFC's graphic style that they use for "submission"?

"tenchu--I assume that is a joke"

Well, it's a trademark, not a copyright:

"The Ultimate Fighting Championship® brand is the world's leading professional mixed martial arts sport association and offers the premier series of MMA sports events. Owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC and headquartered in Las Vegas, Nev., UFC® fight programs feature six live pay-pay-view events annually through cable and satellite providers. In addition to its U.S. distribution, UFC® fight programs are distributed internationally throughout the world, including broadcast on WOWOW, Inc. in Japan and Globosat in Brazil. Zuffa, LLC licenses the distribution of UFC video games through Crave Entertainment and Take Two TDK Mediactive and its fight show DVDs through Studioworks Entertainment, a Ventura Distribution company. "Ultimate Fighting Championship," "Ultimate Fighting," "UFC," "Submission," "As Real As It Gets" and the Octagon cage design are registered trademarks or trademarks owned exclusively by Zuffa, LLC in the U.S., Japan and other jurisdictions. All other marks that may be referenced herein belong to their respective holders."

What is the stylization? Does the 5 on that link indicate they filed for 5 different "stylized" forms.

If I didn't use that stylization, could I have an MMA show--Submission Fighting, or would I violate that mark?

Let me guess, it would tend to be "confusingly similar" should Zuffa choose to pursue?