Marcelo Garcia Seminar Notes

In Phone Post 3.0

Cool thread! You can picture MG doing these moves as you're describing them. Phone Post 3.0

Red Stuff - Cool thread! You can picture MG doing these moves as you're describing them. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks- one of my students described it best.

He said it was awesome to see Marcelo perform his own moves- and see how crisp and precise he does them.

(They are used to me teaching Marcelo's moves- mostly from MGinaction...but I'm a poor man's version of him, so of course my movements, techniques, etc, don't have the refinement that his does)

BJJ Joe - 

Awesome! Thanks!

Now I want to see pictures of Marcelo at Disney. :)

This is from last year:

In! Phone Post 3.0

Other notes:

At one point, Marcelo used Liborio as his uke to demonstrate the butterfly guard pass (from knees), and the transition to his over/under half guard pass.

Prior to the technique- Marcelo said he felt embarrassed teaching next to someone as great as Liborio. He said when he was a kid, he would watch Liborio's World Championship win (the first IBJJF Worlds in 1996 on videotape- and it always inspired him.)

Also, it was cool to see Gezary and Carina working out the details of the high elbow guillotine. It's always nice to see high level black belts still interested in learning new techniques (and seeing that they aren't already familiar with every technique)

It was eerily similar to when a bunch of us had lunch in Barcelona during the ADCC in 2011. During lunch Marcelo was explaining his high elbow guillotine and right away Tarsis Humpheries and Cobrinha started working the technique.

Another thing- I've spent a ton of time with Marcelo throughout the years- but only a couple of times right before a seminar.

I forgot how professional he was when it came to his seminars.

After doing hundreds of seminars, I figured he would be super relaxed and chill and be able to just "wing" it, but he took it super serious and kept stressing that he wanted to make sure everyone had a great time and learned a lot.

(It definitely made me rethink a bit how I teach classes- as I'm not 1/1000th as accomplished as he is, and he takes it more serious than I do when I teach.)

VU kying418!  Great idea breaking down the seminar here.  Hopefully this inspires others to do the same.  Also I hate you, you lucky bastard!

VTFU Phone Post 3.0

VU - thanks for taking the time to share all of this, appreciate it! Phone Post 3.0

This is a great post! Also pretty awesome to get to meet and learn personally from Marcelo, if I won the lottery the first thing I would do is try to train with Marcelo what a legend! Phone Post 3.0

ttt Phone Post 3.0

Awesome!!! Thank you for sharing!
I bet taking notes and then posting them and discussing them helps you retain stuff and makes you a better teacher.

Thanks so much for sharing! Phone Post 3.0

Very cool. Thanks for sharing Phone Post 3.0

overEZ - Awesome!!! Thank you for sharing!
I bet taking notes and then posting them and discussing them helps you retain stuff and makes you a better teacher.

Thanks for the nice words everyone. It is always my pleasure to share Marcelo's Jiu Jitsu, strategy, philosophy, and personality with others!

Thanks Kying. Always enjoy reading your MG posts. How's everything at Frontier?

T Phone Post 3.0

Surfer Joe - Thanks Kying. Always enjoy reading your MG posts. How's everything at Frontier?

You are welcome- I have short term memory...how do you know again I just switched jobs?

Frontier's not bad- everyone seems really nice, and I finally got some work to do after 1 month of sitting around looking for work to do.

I remember you saying you worked for V and I work there too. I'm out on the west coast and I know we sold Cali/Texas/Florida to Frontier so I just assumed you switched over.