Marcelo v Paulo miyao

Would just want to see how he deals with Paulo's guard Phone Post 3.0

MG would maul either of the Miyao's

It would be like a hot knife thru butter Phone Post 3.0

GaspareBJJ - MG would maul either of the Miyao's

I have to agree, I just want to see it to see how he deals with that sort of guard Phone Post 3.0

What does he do against Gianni who trains at his academy? Phone Post 3.0

Ozzimandias - What does he do against Gianni who trains at his academy? Phone Post 3.0

He does not let him get all cray cray.

Sour -
Ozzimandias - What does he do against Gianni who trains at his academy? Phone Post 3.0

He shuts it down before it starts. Phone Post 3.0

GaspareBJJ -
Sour -

He shuts it down before it starts. Phone Post 3.0
Actually,
I made that up- in for Paul Phone Post 3.0

GaspareBJJ - MG would maul either of the Miyao's

Let's not get carried away. I think Marcelo would win, but Paulo would be competitive. Apart from that 300+ lb guy in Brazil with the over/under pass from hell, even the elite like Rafa have to settle for super close matches.

Shemhazai -

Let's not get carried away. I think Marcelo would win, but Paulo would be competitive. Apart from that 300+ lb guy in Brazil with the over/under pass from hell, even the elite like Rafa have to settle for super close matches.
Rafa is a guy who goes for points, MG goes for death and destruction. The pace and pressure MG would put on this new breed would be unfathomable. Marcelo is the hero the new wave of BJJ needs right now, but not the one we deserve. MG is like a demiGod to these guys. Phone Post 3.0

GaspareBJJ - 
Shemhazai -

Rafa is a guy who goes for points, MG goes for death and destruction. The pace and pressure MG would put on this new breed would be unfathomable. Marcelo is the hero the new wave of BJJ needs right now, but not the one we deserve. MG is like a demiGod to these guys. Phone Post 3.0

Marcelo's last 2 years competing at Worlds he faced Lucas Leite and CLaudio Calasans in the finals and he didn't get particularly close to passing either of their guards, and as good as those two are I think Paulo's guard is harder to pass than either of there's.

Marcelo hasn't been active for a while and as great as he was I think some people are remembering him through rose tinted glasses based on watching him roll in training and not in competition.

dokomoy - 
GaspareBJJ - 
Shemhazai -

Marcelo's last 2 years competing at Worlds he faced Lucas Leite and CLaudio Calasans in the finals and he didn't get particularly close to passing either of their guards, and as good as those two are I think Paulo's guard is harder to pass than either of there's.

Marcelo hasn't been active for a while and as great as he was I think some people are remembering him through rose tinted glasses based on watching him roll in training and not in competition.

I'm not talking about Miyao but I disagree on rose tinted glasses. His last event at ADCC 2011 he blew through his first day of matches in less than 3 mins combined, and finished Victor Estima, a NoGi Worlds winner that same year, in less than a minute. He controlled the semi finals match with Kron, minus him getting caught in that guillotine near the end, but he escaped and passed, mounted, and triangled Leo Vieira in the finals in another few minutes.

He's never had an ADCC run at his weight category (out of all 4 other years) that he ran through in so little time.

If you want to say he wasn't the same finishing machine in the gi? Sure, but his last gi comp, the 2011 Worlds, he won gold and didn't concede a single point.

I always bring this up about MG, but out of the 27 matches he's won in ADCC history, he finished 24 of them, and the only 2 people he's beaten in ADCC history that he's never finished are Leo Santos and Renzo Gracie.

In nogi, MG would finish either Miyao.

In the gi, I don't think MG would pass Paulo's guard.

GaspareBJJ - 
Shemhazai -

According to this page:

http://bishopbjj.com/2013/03/05/its-science-rafael-mendes/

Rafa finished 80% of his matches in 2013 by submission, so while he may not be marcelo, I wouldn't say he's a points guy.

@Drew Foster - I know Marcelo was insanely good and very dominant when he was competing and I'm not trying to argue otherwise. If all he was saying is that Marcelo's the favorite or he thinks he'd finish Paulo than I wouldn't have said anything.

BUT Gaspare's statement(and I'm kind of using him as a proxy because a lot of other people talk about Marcelo in the same way) suggests something entirely different. Marcelo goes for the finish when he thinks he has the opportunity, but after his finals match with Lucas he basically said he just wanted to stay safe on top(which is perfectly defensible but far different than "going for death and destruction) and the idea that Marcelo's pressure would be "unfathomable" for someone who trains with Leandro Lo day in and day out is kind of silly.

Basically all I'm trying to say is that Marcelo was one of the best ever but he didn't win actual every match he ever had and he didn't finish(or try to go for the finish) in every match he won, and I think that that's worth mentioning when people talk about him in such hyperbolic terms.

Guys I'm trolling, HELAX

But I do think ,prime nogi MG beats Miyao. Phone Post 3.0

Mg beats Miyão in Gi, nogi, sambo, wrestling and street fighter 2 Phone Post 3.0

Drew Foster - 
dokomoy - 
GaspareBJJ - 
Shemhazai -

I'm not talking about Miyao but I disagree on rose tinted glasses. His last event at ADCC 2011 he blew through his first day of matches in less than 3 mins combined, and finished Victor Estima, a NoGi Worlds winner that same year, in less than a minute. He controlled the semi finals match with Kron, minus him getting caught in that guillotine near the end, but he escaped and passed, mounted, and triangled Leo Vieira in the finals in another few minutes.

He's never had an ADCC run at his weight category (out of all 4 other years) that he ran through in so little time.

If you want to say he wasn't the same finishing machine in the gi? Sure, but his last gi comp, the 2011 Worlds, he won gold and didn't concede a single point.

I always bring this up about MG, but out of the 27 matches he's won in ADCC history, he finished 24 of them, and the only 2 people he's beaten in ADCC history that he's never finished are Leo Santos and Renzo Gracie.

Voted Up.

I think Drew ended the thread right there!

Muffinho - In nogi, MG would finish either Miyao.

In the gi, I don't think MG would pass Paulo's guard.
Massive MG fan but this is probably accurate. He still wins though. Phone Post 3.0