Marijuana Study Counters 'Gateway' Theory

To those who know it's like declaring that grass is green, but this kind of information needs to be put out there more to counter the irrational 'Reefer madness' stigma that continues to linger...

"Marijuana may not be the "gateway drug" some believe it to be, a new study contends.

Instead, teens smoke pot for very specific reasons, and it is those reasons that appear to prompt their decision to try other drugs, researchers report."

"We found that marijuana use within itself wasn't a risk factor for use of other drugs," said lead author Joseph Palamar, an assistant professor in the New York University Langone Medical Center's department of population health. "People do generally use marijuana before other drugs, but that doesn't mean marijuana is a cause of [using] those other drugs."

"The analysis focused on high school seniors surveyed between 2000 and 2011 who had reported using marijuana within the past 12 months. Researchers also analyzed the teens' self-reported use of eight other illicit drugs, including powder cocaine, crack, heroin, LSD, other psychedelics, amphetamines, tranquilizers and other narcotics.

Nearly one-third of the teens said they use marijuana to alleviate boredom. Those teens also were 43 percent more likely to try cocaine and 56 percent more likely to try a hallucinogen other than LSD, the researchers found.

About one-fifth said they used marijuana to achieve insight or understanding, and this reason also made them 51 percent more likely to try a hallucinogen other than LSD.

Finally, one out of ten reported using marijuana to enhance the effects of other drugs, a reason that appeared to indicate across-the-board openness toward using any of the eight additional drugs.

Those teenagers who said they used marijuana "to experiment" actually had a decreased risk of using any of the eight other drugs, the researchers found."

"Science has consistently shown that environmental factors, such as ready access to other illicit substances, and personal traits, such as a propensity toward risk-seeking behavior, are associated with the decision to move from marijuana to other illicit substances," Armentano said. "But marijuana's drug chemistry likely does not play a significant role, if any role, in this decision. "

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20150710/marijuana-study-counters-gateway-theory

MMAdotCOM - Alcohol is the gateway to other drugs Phone Post 3.0
Yep. Phone Post 3.0

Another study to debunk this bullshit theory?  I thought the gateway theory had been debunked a billion times over the last few decades.  

I have no facts but I bet a pier group a kid falls into is the leading cause of doing hard drugs. If a kid starts to hang out with druggies he/she will prob end up being a druggie. Phone Post 3.0

MMAdotCOM - Alcohol is the gateway to other drugs Phone Post 3.0

IF there is a gateway drug, I agree, it would definitely be alcohol. 

12 marijuanas is equivalent to 12 million cigarettes.

Not even once. Phone Post 3.0

I used to love smoking weed. 

I have also never touch any other kind of drug.

Do you really believe the anti-pot is based on any sort of rational public health/scientific argument? Nope....It is a cultural and business issue.

Altofsky - 12 marijuanas is equivalent to 12 million cigarettes.

Not even once. Phone Post 3.0

lol

Pot was a gateway drug for me when I was younger. Phone Post 3.0

My mom use to ask me "Are you practicing with the weeds?"

DaveFu - Do you really believe the anti-pot is based on any sort of rational public health/scientific argument? Nope....It is a cultural and business issue.

That is why it is so hard to change...

"You can't reason someone out of something they were never reasoned into"

You combime that with the money put against it by big business and you get our current predicament.

Right Hand JO Power - Pot was a gateway drug for me when I was younger. Phone Post 3.0

Why did you initially use it?

FaceToFace -
Right Hand JO Power - Pot was a gateway drug for me when I was younger. Phone Post 3.0

Why did you initially use it?

To get high Phone Post 3.0

Part of the problem is that stoners are the most vocal, yet worst group to campaign for reform. When people believe the best thing you have going in your life is recreational pot, you won't convince anyone to legalize it.

A lot of people like pot, but hate being associated with stoners.

Does anyone here know anyone who even remotely buys the gateway argument? Seems like a straw man at this point.