Marijuana Study Counters 'Gateway' Theory

DaveFu - Part of the problem is that stoners are the most vocal, yet worst group to campaign for reform. When people believe the best thing you have going in your life is recreational pot, you won't convince anyone to legalize it.

A lot of people like pot, but hate being associated with stoners.

I agree with you but look how foolish it is...

"A lot of people like alcohol, but hate being associated with alcoholics."

FaceToFace - 
DaveFu - Part of the problem is that stoners are the most vocal, yet worst group to campaign for reform. When people believe the best thing you have going in your life is recreational pot, you won't convince anyone to legalize it.

That isn't foolish, it's the truth. You can participate in an activity and despise those that embrace the stereotype and the lowest common denominator.

How many people teach MMA and BJJ, but hate the associated meathead culture?

Why do most OGers not post on the UG even though they're probably incredibly knowledgeable about the sport?

I agree with you. I should have said look how foolsih it is to allow that stigma to keep it illegal (like it once did with alcohol).

You can not logically argue away an emotional argument.

This is an article written to present data in a manner to mislead the reader. There are arguments for and against the war on drugs. I would point out misleading logic if this were a pro war on drugs article as well.

"But marijuana's drug chemistry likely does not play a significant role, if any role, in this decision. "

The argument was never about marijuan's drug chemistry playing a significant role to become a gateway drug. The argument has been that a significant percentage of kids that use more dangerous drugs had started with mj.

The article contradicts itself here:

"Nearly one-third of the teens said they use marijuana to alleviate boredom. Those teens also were 43 percent more likely to try cocaine and 56 percent more likely to try a hallucinogen other than LSD, the researchers found. "

The act of seeking out and using mj increased the chance in a significant portion of kids to seek out and use other drugs. The reason why a kid used it does not reinforce the argument that small time drug use does not lead to larger drug use. The article presents data that shows that measurable number users do move on to stronger drugs and there is at least a correlation.

The article tries to swith the argument that the premise of the correlation is based on the chemistry of the drug, and because no correlation was found in the drug chemistry that there is no correlation at all.

On a final note, the comparison between countries in which drugs are not criminalized and the US is used to say "see these countries do it and they are ok", but most of those countries are very different from the US. One major difference is the size of population. The US has 300,000,000 people. The countries we are compared to have a significanlty smaller Population. 10% of netherlands population = 1.68 million vs 10% of the US population = 30+ million. It is hard to compare two countries with fundamental structural differences.

Once again, I am not choosing a side, I am choosing honesty is arguments and advocacy. Find me a pro drug war article and I will find dishonesty there as well.

BarkLikeADog - Does anyone here know anyone who even remotely buys the gateway argument? Seems like a straw man at this point.

I'm 100% pro-legalization.

I think the "gateway" argument had merit only in that marijuana was likely, for most people, the first substance to acquire through a person who sold drugs illegally.

Of course, that reasoning makes it an invalid argument against legalization, because the illicit channel would be no more necessary that it would be for beer or cigarettes.

DaveFu -
FaceToFace - 

That isn't foolish, it's the truth. You can participate in an activity and despise those that embrace the stereotype and the lowest common denominator.

How many people teach MMA and BJJ, but hate the associated meathead culture?

Why do most OGers not post on the UG even though they're probably incredibly knowledgeable about the sport?
I fall into all the above categories. VU. Phone Post 3.0

in

Piss poor article.

The gateway drug nonsense was never a theory. At least, not in the scientific sense. It was bullshit propagated by politicians and absolutely unsupported by any legitimate scientific research.

Sorry, but the word "theory" gets devaluated enough by the anti-evolution crowd and by conspiracy enthusiasts as it is, so I often feel the need to point out situations in which an alternate term would be more fitting. I believe this is a great example. Phone Post 3.0

I have a family member who is a drug counselor at a rehab center.

And I quote, "In my 5+ years of being a counselor I have yet to see a client who is on hard drugs that didn't start with Marijuana or alcohol, or in most cases, both."

ROCKER24 -

I have a family member who is a drug counselor at a rehab center.

And I quote, "In my 5+ years of being a counselor I have yet to see a client who is on hard drugs that didn't start with Marijuana or alcohol, or in most cases, both."

Of course. They're the two most readily available drugs out there. If you're the type of person who'll get into heroin, chances are that you're the kind of person who will have experimented with other substances and chances are that, like pretty much anyone else, you'll start with the stuff that's readily available. Phone Post 3.0

Worst side effect to MJ is prison and it shouldn't be.

Good thread FTF Phone Post 3.0

FaceToFace - 

an increase from 200k to 1.6M is a 700% increase, not 800%.