Mario Yamasaki explains late stoppage

in the Black Beast/Hapa fight:

"Right in the moment, I already knew that I allowed two extra punches,” Yamasaki told MMA Fighting, "but the reaction time from a heavyweight is different than a lighter fighter. So when (Lewis) landed the punch where (Browne) went out, he was able to land two more before I came in to stop the fight. But, for sure, I should have stopped it a little earlier. Everyone has his days, and I can’t give excuses."

"It’s hard to please everyone,” Yamasaki said of the debate between early and late stoppages. "I try to be as consistent as possible, but sometimes you can’t. I wanted to give him another chance because early in the fight he was getting knocked out standing and he said ‘I'm fine, I’m fine,’ and I saw that he was trying to defend himself so I let him continue, and on the ground, it went a little longer.

"I’m sure that Browne likes that we let the fight go on a little longer so he has a chance to come back,” he continued. "No fighter likes early stoppages, but it happens. There’s no excuse. I know I should have stopped it earlier, but it was so fast I couldn't stop it."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/21/14686268/mario-yamasaki-late-stoppage-derrick-lewis-vs-travis-browne-fight-ufc

I don't know about two, maybe one. Rewind it two punches and it would have been an early stoppage.

Perhaps he was waiting for Browne's head to stop bouncing off the mat to stop it?

It was Mazzagatti.  Dana told me so.

"but the reaction time from a heavyweight is different than a lighter fighter. So when (Lewis) landed the punch where (Browne) went out, he was able to land two more before I came in to stop the fight.

Is he saying hws punch faster than lighter guys??

Reffing is tough. Everyone thinks they can do it until they finally try and realize how difficult it really is. Mario is a good ref.

That doesn't make sense to me. Tired heavy weight throws faster punches than lighter weights. Lol, no

Hapa's head was up off the mat. He was probably out, but he 'was' holding his head up until that last bomb. As a fan, I'm in favor of giving the downed fighter every chance to come back. I really didn't think it was an obvious late stoppage. A decent job, by a decent ref.

Maybe he means he's farther away because he has to allow more space for HW's to fight so it takes longer to get there. 

defreezio - Hapa's head was up off the mat. He was probably out, but he 'was' holding his head up until that last bomb. As a fan, I'm in favor of giving the downed fighter every chance to come back. I really didn't think it was an obvious late stoppage. A decent job, by a decent ref.

Either way I agree with this guy. It really wasn't that bad. I thought the Santos fight was a worse stoppage because it was too early 

Good on him for stepping up and giving his side of it. Gotta respect someone when they come out and accept that it wasn't the best choice. 

KirkBJJ -

Maybe he means he's farther away because he has to allow more space for HW's to fight so it takes longer to get there. 

I think that's what he meant. English is definitely not his first language

Fairplay Mario - Back in the ref squad.

I think alot of this comes down to Browne telling him he was fine when Lewis was rocking him on the feet, if anything the finish could've looked similar then if Lewis connected a clean shot

I don't get it, was this translated from Portuguese or Japanese or something?

I have no problem with the stoppage at all. However, the logic behind his excuse is shite.

Reaction time of heavyweights? So unlike the other weight classes they punch faster? Reaction time of lower weights like Strawweights, sure but heavyweights punch slower.

ausgepicht - I don't get it, was this translated from Portuguese or Japanese or something?

I have no problem with the stoppage at all. However, the logic behind his excuse is shite.

Reaction time of heavyweights? So unlike the other weight classes they punch faster? Reaction time of lower weights like Strawweights, sure but heavyweights punch slower.

Exactly. He didn't come in late in that he majorly fucked up. It was a "mistake" that can easily happen, no issue there. But what a weird justification LOL

Im a fan of it. More entertaining all around. We get to see someones head bounce, get to hear Dana lose his shit and I enjoy reading posts about how useless the refs are. Everybody wins.

Not that it mattters but almost every fighter and coach I have talked to about stoppages has stated that they would rather leave on the back board than have it stopped one punch early. 

Mario is a great ref no one bats a 1000.  he is a fighters ref and given the choice I am sure one that many fighters would want in the cage for their fights. 

Yamasaki doesn't like dudes dat put dey hand on womenz either

I thought when Browne's eyes rolled back, Yamasaki thought he was being sarcastic