Mariusz's workout

Shamelessly stolen from the UG

ttt

If you look at Mariusz's workout (posted at his site), aside from his event specific training, he trains pretty much like a bodybuilder.

In fact, many strongman competitors do. Brad Cordoza (has a long thread with some training info and a ton of great pics over at t-mag) trains somewhat similar to a bodybuilder, and I know that Whit Baskin did as well (at least he did prior to his accident). I want to say Juoko Ahola (sp) did, but I'm not sure.

Now, these guys may not have the raw power of a say a Zavickas (sp) or Virastuk (sp AGAIN lol), but in many ways, are more athletic. (Though that could have to do with the fact that they don't weigh as much...)

Just food for thought.

Wiggy

"If you look at Mariusz's workout (posted at his site), aside from his event specific training, he trains pretty much like a bodybuilder."

wasn't Mariusz busted for roids, though?

in that case, it makes perfect sense to train like a bodybuilder.

"wasn't Mariusz busted for roids, though?"

Name any strongman competitor at the world championship/elite level that isn't on roids or more, though - regardless of what sort of training they do.

"Name any strongman competitor at the world championship/elite level that isn't on roids or more, though - regardless of what sort of training they do."

valid point. But being on roids can increase your recovery speed, which makes you better able to handle bodybuilding-style massive volume programs.

Or at least, that's what I thought they did.

also throw in the fact that even without roids, Mariusz has pretty freaky genetics, and probably a recovery level well above that of even most athletes.

Just goes to show that there is no right way to train.

Too many people suffer from paralysis by analysis.

Train hard get results.

Real farmer strength, an old photo of Jouko Ahola´s grandfather:
http://www.dlc.fi/~gold-cam/ukki.html

Mariusz looks like a bodybuilder, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I never understand why "training like a bodybuilder" gets such bad press. It has produced big, strong guys for years and it will continue to do so.

So much of what is considered cutting edge thess days is at best a change of pace and at worst training in a less effective manner with less effective tools for the sake of being hip, cool or differnt.

Train hard with the tools you have available, eat well, recover as completely as your life and schedule allows, repeat.

TAKU

agreed

Taku is correct

Pretty interesting Phil Pfister training vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwzU-VMtp8

They're both scary.

"Name any strongman competitor at the world championship/elite level that isn't on roids or more, though..."

Is it really that bad? As far as I know Pudzianowski is the only elite-level competitor that has tested positive for banned substances.

"As far as I know Pudzianowski is the only elite-level competitor that has tested positive for banned substances."

Mariusz didn't test positive for steroids, it was rumored he tested positive for coke.

Damn, a 289lb guy doing 10 sets of 7-10 pullups is pretty crazy.

"Is it really that bad?"

Yeah. You just don't get that big and strong naturally. I mean, Pudz is as big (if not bigger) than quite a few professional bodybuilders, and take a look at all the stuff they take.

Take a look into Whit Baskin's story. Drug use almost got him killed. IIRC (and I'm not saying I do) "performance enhancing" drug use led to recreational drug use (mostly X, I think). He ended up behind the wheel of his car high as a kite, got into a hardcore wreck that almost killed him. He was in the hospital for quite a long time. The last I heard, he was trying to get back into WSM, and promoting natural training, using his story to try and inspire others. I'm not sure how far he got.

It's too bad, b/c from some of the stuff I read, Whit was never quite himself after the whole ordeal. Folks said that he would seem real strange when he talked - almost as if he was drifting in and out. Some of his writings (I saw a few posts he made on a couple forums) seemed sorta zoned, too...

Now, Whit made it to WSM qualifiers once, but never even to the main show. If guys on that level are on that much stuff, what do you think a guys who are dominating like Pudz are on....

I used to think ALL of them are heavy heavy juicers but a couple of years ago one competitor was a farmer from Canada who was just a big boned, fat, teeth missing, strong half bald dude. Hell his technique looked bad too yet he was in the Top 10 (8th or 5th I dont remember).

I was impressed. Of course, he might have been juicing too, but he certainly didnt look it - not just physically but the vibe was not one of an athlete but that a local hick you just picked to compete on that day.

I'm not sure which event or if it was the final or a qualifier for that matter, but just that a guy like that could hang at the top level blew me away.

I'm sure most of them not only use "performance enhancers" but tons and tons of them as well.

Pfister jumps about as high as Costanza.