Mark Rippetoe is a pretty funny guy.

I know people like to hate on Mark Rippetoe and some of what he teaches, but I think he's pretty funny in an old, crotchety, get off my lawn sort of way.

Hurtsogood -

I know people like to hate on Mark Rippetoe and some of what he teaches, but I think he's pretty funny in an old, crotchety, get off my lawn sort of way.

Never heard that. What problems do people have with Mark? I thought he was considered an expert in the big 4. Phone Post 3.0

He also says a lot of douchey stuff. He may be cool in person. Phone Post 3.0

LiveWire -
Hurtsogood -

Never heard that. What problems do people have with Mark? I thought he was considered an expert in the big 4. Phone Post 3.0

People criticize him for how he teaches people to squat and the whole GOMAD thing quite often. 

People like to leave out that his GOMAD recomendation is refering to high school boys and that his methods for teaching the big four lifts are based on getting large groups of high school athletes competant at lifting so they can get stronger for sports.

1800champagne - He also says a lot of douchey stuff. He may be cool in person. Phone Post 3.0

To me it just sounds like he's heard so many of the same questions and bullshit over the years that he just gets annoyed with it and doesn't have the patience to be polite to people about it anymore.  He doesn't seem to care too much what other people think of him.

Hurtsogood -
1800champagne - He also says a lot of douchey stuff. He may be cool in person. Phone Post 3.0

To me it just sounds like he's heard so many of the same questions and bullshit over the years that he just gets annoyed with it and doesn't have the patience to be polite to people about it anymore.  He doesn't seem to care too much what other people think of him.

He said something along the lines of "you're not a man if your body weight starts with the number 1"

Seems like a pretty silly statement. Phone Post 3.0

1800champagne -
Hurtsogood -

He said something along the lines of "you're not a man if your body weight starts with the number 1"

Seems like a pretty silly statement. Phone Post 3.0

It is, but I think its all in good fun.  I've seen shirts made that say "Real men>200lbs."

Its just funny.   He's giving super general advice for people interested in getting strong. 

For a guy 5'10" or taller who's looking to lift a much weight as possible, getting your bodyweight over 200lbs is generally going to help you with that goal.