Martial Shadow, need help

Was wondering about the kosher food preperation. Would it be unkosher to eat a rare piece of steak? When we did a butchering job for a Jewish rabbi, we had to hold down the animal while he slit the throat. But it was quartered and hung just like any other beef would be. When the blood has drained and the meat "matured" then it is cut and packaged, but there is still blood present. Does this have to be cooked out until it is dry?

Also, I understand why the blood idea is so important to Christians, but why is it so important to Jews, when there is no longer sacrifices?

thanks bro,

the rev

ttt

OMG! Well, hope this helps.

1- Only a shochet can slaughter AND inspect the animal in question. Holding it down likely destroys the kashrut process (at least by Lubavitch standards as opposed to other Jews). Hanging should be ok if it is not in contact with unkosher meat. The blood that is present must be salted and spiced out. What remains after that, if it passes inspection, is permitted. It is likely the meat is now trief. for good overview, see wikipedia.

Whys is blood important? Why the entire Kashrut process? Cause Torah says so.

To examine the marks in cattle (so as to distinguish the clean from the unclean) (Lev. 11:2)

Not to eat the flesh of unclean beasts (Lev. 11:4)

Not to eat unclean fish (Lev. 11:11)

To examine the marks in fowl, so as to distinguish the clean from the unclean (Deut. 14:11)

Not to eat unclean fowl (Lev. 11:13)

To examine the marks in locusts, so as to distinguish the clean from the unclean (Lev. 11:21)

Not to eat a worm found in fruit (Lev. 11:41)

Not to eat of things that creep upon the earth (Lev. 11:41-42)

Not to eat any vermin of the earth (Lev. 11:44)

Not to eat things that swarm in the water (Lev. 11:43 and 46)

Not to eat of winged insects (Deut. 14:19)

Not to eat the flesh of a beast that is terefah (lit torn) (Ex. 22:30)

Not to eat the flesh of a beast that died of itself (Deut. 14:21)

To slay cattle, deer and fowl according to the laws of shechitah if their flesh is to be eaten (Deut. 12:21)

Not to eat a limb removed from a living beast (Deut. 12:23)

Not to slaughter an animal and its young on the same day (Lev. 22:28)

Not to take the mother-bird with the young (Deut. 22:6)

To set the mother-bird free when taking the nest (Deut. 22:6-7)

Not to eat the flesh of an ox that was condemned to be stoned (Ex. 21:28)

Not to boil meat with milk (Ex. 23:19)

Not to eat flesh with milk (Ex. 34:26)

Not to eat the of the thigh-vein which shrank (Gen. 32:33)

Not to eat chelev (tallow-fat) (Lev. 7:23)

Not to eat blood (Lev. 7:26)

To cover the blood of undomesticated animals (deer, etc.) and of fowl that have been killed (Lev. 17:13)

Not to eat or drink like a glutton or a drunkard (not to rebel against father or mother) (Lev. 19:26; Deut. 21:20)

MS

Damn! Here I thought the Gracie diet was tough to remember.  That is a whole lot of rules.

MS,

most of Gods rules have meanings, or reasons behind them. This is what I was asking, if it is just because God said so, then fine, but I thought there was more to it.

thanks

the rev

I don't think it is cruel either. No more cruel than how most meat is produced anyway. If you really have a dislike of such things then you should become a vegan because eating meat entails killing things.

true, cows in the slaughterhouse are terrified.

Kashrus from what Ive been told is pretty much cos G-d says so. We can extrapolate reasons out from there, but the main reason is because G-d says so.

I didn't like it, seemed unnecessarily long and painful, but it wasn't a big deal to me. This was when I was seventeen. I used to work with my friends at their parents butcher shop. My two friends and I would go out and kill the cattle, pigs, sheep gut and skin them, half or quarter them, and then take them back to the locker to hang. Didn't bother me back then.

Almost all of the butchering jobs we did were privately owned animals, and I have to say Bludhal they had no idea what was happening. They are just standing their stupid in the field and then they are dead. 22 rifle to the head.

the rev

They did a bunch of studies on kosher slaughtering. Both on chickens and cattle. What they found was that if the animal was put into an area where it could back out freely at any time, and they would shect the animal and it wouldn't back out or do anything at all, indicating the pain is minimal, if anything at all is even felt.

This was before I studied the deadly brazilian martial are made popular by the flying gracie brothers. I would of course slap a triangle on the animal and choke them onto my dinner plate.

the rev

My post somehow got onto the Islamic fashion post!

Hawker- Kashrut, done properly, requires the animal suffers no pain. Think of the guillotine in France. It was developed as a humane way to execute criminals- quick and painless beheading over burning, stoning, hanging, etc. The schochet must slit the artery just so, the animal bleeds out immiediately- if not it is trief and not kosher.
MS

Ok so, the way it was done is perfectly kosher apparently. The rule is that a schochet must make the cut, but the ppl who hold the animal down, it doesnt matter.

Martial Shadow-

I would suggest reading Hebrews. The whole book. The levitical system of animal sacrifice was done away with when the new covenant was established

Hebrews 7:18-19 (New American Standard Bible)
18For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former commandment because of its weakness and uselessness
19(for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

Hebrews 7:22 (New American Standard Bible)
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
22so much the more also Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

Hebrews 8:6 (New American Standard Bible)
6But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
7For (A)if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.
Hebrews 8:8
8For finding fault with them, He says,
"(A)BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD,
WHEN I WILL EFFECT (B)A NEW COVENANT
WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;

Hebrews 10
One Sacrifice of Christ Is Sufficient
1For the Law, since it has only (A)a shadow of (B)the good things to come and not the very form of things, [a]can (C)never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually year by year, (D)make perfect those who draw near.

Hebrews 10:4
4For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

*There are many more verses

MS is a devout Jew bro, he doesn't believe that Hebrews is scripture.

the rev

wouldn't exactly use devout as he adjective ;) but I am Jewish and the NT, while a good read, has no legal bearing on my understanding of municipal, international or sacral law.

MS