Marvel is "woke" because money

The exec said she is sometimes asked, “Aren’t you tired every time your movie comes it’s number one in the world?” That’s an “odd comment,” she mused, and said her response is, “The reason we have that success consistently is because our audience is global. You cannot have a global audience and not somehow start to represent it… For us, it was really, really, really important to have that.”

Alonso continued, “For the longest of time, we heard a woman-led film will never open. I say, ‘Please check, Captain Marvel made a lot of money.’ Then they always told us that Black Panther was never going to open and that nobody wanted a completely Black cast, and that made $1.3B. So you can look at it from the social point of view, the cultural point of view. But truthfully, this is a business. From a fiscal point of view, you are leaving money on the table by not representing. I think 51% of our audience is female, 28% of our audience is Hispanic. If we don’t represent the people that watch what we make, eventually they’ll go elsewhere because somebody else will figure it out.”

What’s more, “We can only tell stories if we succeed and actually have money to make them. So the idea being, ‘If it makes money, why not make it?’ To me it seemed like a very simple equation, but it took a lot of time, a lot of talking.”

Full interview at Marvel’s Victoria Alonso On ‘What If…?’, Animation Push – Annecy – Deadline

Demographics gonna demographic.

I think there’s a huge difference between having a woman lead movie, and a minority-led movie compared to changing existing characters to be queer.

1 Like