"Mask" not racing according to other driver

I know theres been some comments about racing etc.  I for obvious reasons have been following the hearing....heres an excerpt from testimony at the last hearing....

The driver responsible for accident tried to plea for lesser charges, he was denied.

from hearing...

Newport Beach Officer Todd Hughes testified that "Kirby admitted to driving his Porsche too fast and losing control of the car".

Newport Beach Officer Todd Hughes also said "Kirby, 51 said he sped his Porsche closer to Lewis’ Ferrari in order for his passenger – a woman he was taking on a date – to see the sports car".

"As he sped closer, he lost control of his car and spun 360 degrees", Hughes said.

“He stated he was driving too fast,’’ Hughes said.

Investigators have said they found receipts in Kirby's wallet that indicated he was drinking earlier that evening at two bars in San Juan Capistrano and Irvine.

The judge denied Kirby the opportunity to plead guilty to vehicular manslaughter in exchange for a lighter sentence. Deputy District Attorney Jason Baez wants Kirby to spend more than 18 years behind bars.

Kirby, who remains jailed in lieu of $500,000 bail, will next appear in court for his felony arraignment on Sept. 21.

Thanks for the info Mr Harris 

RIP MASK

He's gone and I will never forget him.

Not to mention Kirby fled the scene, leaving Charles dead, and girlfriend Lacy lying in the bushes on the side of the road with severe injuries so he could save his own ass.

but didnt they say mask was driving at over 100mph?
maybe he wasnt racing but he wasnt driving carefully

Yes, and because of the damage, there is evidence that Charles may have been driving fast.  But, based on the statements of Kirby, Charles may not have never known what hit him  :( 

rharris - Not to mention Kirby fled the scene, leaving Charles dead, and girlfriend Lacy lying in the bushes on the side of the road with severe injuries so he could save his own ass.

terrible.

thanks for the info.

Saving his own ass IMO.

"I'm guilty only of admiring his car too much."

PR - Saving his own ass IMO.

Exactly. I have a very hard time believing that two guys with these cars were driving that fast at the same time down the same street.

ttt

Holy shit! That guy is riding around in a late model porsche and can't post that bound?! Mid-life crisis? Seems fitting he was on a date, liquoring up some trim, driving too fast in a car he can't afford....

rharris - Not to mention Kirby fled the scene, leaving Charles dead, and girlfriend Lacy lying in the bushes on the side of the road with severe injuries so he could save his own ass.
Yep, and all the assholes on here were so quick to jump to conclusions, including certain moderators.

Thank you for the update.

RIP Mask

Thank you for the info.

Mr. Harris, you have been voted up.

when you're cornering in a 911 and it starts to skid (oversteer) the absolute worst thing you can do is lift the throttle (typical inexperienced/drunk reaction) because it will bring the rear around even faster and spin the car quickly. If this caused the 911 to hit Mask's mid-engined( a design that loves to spin like a top when it loses traction) ferrari at high speed, mask would have had little chance of recovering control of the vehicle.

I'd like to see what the skidmarks on the road look like, they'll tell with more certainty what happened that night.

ttt

"As he sped closer, he lost control of his car and spun 360 degrees", Hughes said. "He stated he was driving too fast,'' Hughes said.

Wait a minute! Matt Hughes was there too?

RIP MASK

Thanks for the post, Reed. Personally, I was getting tired of people making assumptions about what happened and trying to vilify Charles and/or his actions.

Bottom line, for me anyways, we all lost a good guy and a visionary who backed up his words with actions and examples.

whiteghost - when you're cornering in a 911 and it starts to skid (oversteer) the absolute worst thing you can do is lift the throttle (typical inexperienced/drunk reaction) because it will bring the rear around even faster and spin the car quickly. If this caused the 911 to hit Mask's mid-engined( a design that loves to spin like a top when it loses traction) ferrari at high speed, mask would have had little chance of recovering control of the vehicle.

I'd like to see what the skidmarks on the road look like, they'll tell with more certainty what happened that night.

M3 and he would still be alive.