Mass shooting on armed population?

Has a mass shooting ever taken place against an armed population?   Genuine question.  

Ft. Hood I believe the soldiers were unarmed on base with the exception of MPs.  

Did they eventually change that regulation?

In this country there have been two mass shootings in the last 50 years that were not in gun free zones

nottheface -

Ft. Hood I believe the soldiers were unarmed on base with the exception of MPs.  

Did they eventually change that regulation?

Military bases are still gun free zones

yomamafool - 

In this country there have been two mass shootings in the last 50 years that were not in gun free zones

Charles Whitman just misses the cut at 52 years ago?

what are the two? just curious

edwims -
yomamafool - 

That was the Texas tower guy?

nottheface - 
edwims -
yomamafool - 

That was the Texas tower guy?

Yes.

Many times in Israel,  leading to the creation of suicide bombers.

Bad guys would pull out a gun and catch fire from multiple directions a few moments later and get gunned down.

So bad guys started blowing themselves up in crowds.

Pablo Duke - 

Yes. There is an entire list out there somewhere, I've also seen it here as well. 

There are a number of attempted mass shootings where an armed civilian was present and the body count ends up being well under 10 and usually around 2-3 so the events don't wind up in national news because they didn't kill a dozen or more people. 

Fist one comes to mind was a mall shooting, I think in Oregon a few years ago

Yes the Clackamas Town Center shooting. Frankly, I never believed that Meli guy's story about the killer shooting himself so that he would avoid being shot (???), but who knows. I hope it's true, but it's really his word only. If the shooter did kill himself over seeing an armed civilian, it was probably also compounded with the fact that he was a fucking idiot that didn't know how to clear his rifle, because a lot of witnesses said he stood there smacking it and jerking the charging handle over and over before he ran into the stairwell and killed himself.

It just seems to me that if your goal was to shoot a bunch of people and then kill yourself, you'd shoot AT the other guy with the gun who is trying to stop you. The rifle may have jammed, but he obviously got it cleared in the stairwell, so he was completely capable of continuing his tantrum. I don't see why he would have just called it quits like that.

Freaky_Hibiki - 
Pablo Duke - 

Yes. There is an entire list out there somewhere, I've also seen it here as well. 

There are a number of attempted mass shootings where an armed civilian was present and the body count ends up being well under 10 and usually around 2-3 so the events don't wind up in national news because they didn't kill a dozen or more people. 

Yes the Clackamas Town Center shooting. Frankly, I never believed that Meli guy's story about the killer shooting himself so that he would avoid being shot (???), but who knows. I hope it's true, but it's really his word only. If the shooter did kill himself over seeing an armed civilian, it was probably also compounded with the fact that he was a fucking idiot that didn't know how to clear his rifle, because a lot of witnesses said he stood there smacking it and jerking the charging handle over and over before he ran into the stairwell and killed himself.

It just seems to me that if your goal was to shoot a bunch of people and then kill yourself, you'd shoot AT the other guy with the gun who is trying to stop you. The rifle may have jammed, but he obviously got it cleared in the stairwell, so he was completely capable of continuing his tantrum. I don't see why he would have just called it quits like that.

I would think that if your goal is to kill a bunch of people and then kill yourself you would probably off yourself soon after seeing someone with a gun coming for you....in fear of being wounded and being unable to kill yourself so that you end up in prison and very much alive

Interesting thread op,  ive wondered about this myself

edwims - 
Freaky_Hibiki - 
Pablo Duke - 

I would think that if your goal is to kill a bunch of people and then kill yourself you would probably off yourself soon after seeing someone with a gun coming for you....in fear of being wounded and being unable to kill yourself so that you end up in prison and very much alive

That's an interesting view. Maybe that's why a lot of mass shooters bring a handgun as well. I guess we'll never know.

Either way, I don't think that having an armed and capable population is ever a bad thing. If one armed person can deter more deaths, just imagine what kind of deterrent knowing that you would CERTAINLY face armed opposition would be.

I agree about armed citizens being a good thing....I would be more than ok with people having to take a firearms course with a certified instructor to own a gun also

This guy put together a recent list of only citizens who stopped mass shootings, no cops, it does include 2 military members but they were off duty.

He even skipped the above mentioned mall shooting in Oregon, because it can't be proven if the citizen stopped the shooter, but it certainly didn't make it worse as others says claim will happen.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/collection/good-guy-gun-stopped-bad-guy-gun/

Freaky_Hibiki -
Pablo Duke - 

You’re using rational thought for someone who obvously was incapable of using rational thought at the time 

Get A Grip Dude -
edwims - 
yomamafool - 

At the very least, the Vegas shooting and the church shooting last year. Seems hard to believe those are the only two.

Wasn’t the church a gun free zone?

shen - 

Bad guys would pull out a gun and catch fire from multiple directions a few moments later and get gunned down.

So you're saying when they could no longer use their guns effectively they switched over to bombs? Jeez that sounds a lot like what people have been arguing that taking away a single tool of evil people will not stop the evil they commit.

dabigchet -
Common Sense MMA - 
shen -

Which is why the whole ban assault rifles is such a waste of time and distraction. Remove a weapon, the bad guy gets another. How much more damage can they do with pressure cookers? More sofisticated? What about chemical agents? The whole country is distracted by the ridiculous argument. Stop the root problem. Metal detectors seem to do a good job on gov't buildings, airports, football games etc. 

the boston bombing had 3 fatalities (although many injured). most bombing attempts are failures in this country.

the idea that mass shooters would somehow become expert bombers if we make it hard to buy ARs is completely divorced from reality.

of all arguments against gun control, this is probably the worst one.

Timothy McVeigh would disagree with your assessment. 

nottheface -
Get A Grip Dude -
edwims - 
yomamafool - 

At the very least, the Vegas shooting and the church shooting last year. Seems hard to believe those are the only two.

Wasn’t the church a gun free zone?

I don't believe it was posted as such

It would have to have been a valod visible 30.06 (Texas law) sign.  Churches aren't automatically gun free