mastering jujitsu book?

with renzo on the cover whats the review on it is it a good buy? which books would you guys recommend for a beginner that just what to read on the basics

Renzo's book is really about MMA and John Danaher gives excellent info on the breakdown of theory.

A great basic bjj book would be the "Brazilian jiu-jitsu theory and technique" book by Renzo & Royler.

then Royler's no gi book and JJ Machado's book.

You should check out John Will's books. The production value is low, but the advice that he gives for newbs is very good. There is also a book on "Guard Passing" that is a good read. The author is Tim Cartmell (sp?). In general, no one book has all the answers, but by reading several different books and working out, you can start to put together an overall picture.

I would not recomend the Gracie books IMHO.

All four of John Will's books
Paasing the Guard book
The techniques of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

www.DogsofWar.net

It depends on what you are looking for.  I really liked the Mastering Jujitsu book and would really recommend it for a beginner.  It gives a good history of Brazilian Jiujitsut first starting with clasical Japanese Jujitsu then show Kano's developments in Judo.  It goes on with Maeda's own developments fighting challenge matches, teaching Carlos Gracie and then the Gracie's own developments on the art.  It also gives some really nice case studies on the evolution of MMA.  One of the key points of the book is the importance of positional dominance and how it effects a fight. 

I think it is very important to give some theory behind what you are doing to a new student instead of just a book of moves. However, if you already have a solid background and are looking for a book of techniques, Jean Jeacqeus book is really solid.  Some of the moves are a little advanced for a new guy but still a solid book.  Royler's book is also nice. 

I didn't really get a lot out of Mastering Jujutsu. I felt like I pretty much already knew all the stuff. But I do think it's a good book for beginners, that gives a good understanding of all around strategy in MMA. I recommend the Passing the guard book from grappling-arts.net, Royler's sub grappling book from any major bookstore or amazon.com, and the Fighter's Notebook from this site. Bas' Big Books of Combat are good too, but I liked the stand up one a lot more than the ground one.

I am a beginner (not training now because of injury) and I got that book from the library. I thought it was not that good. I returned it before I read it all. Too much filler stuff and not enough real content.

hey thanks for the reply ..im looking for the basics nothing fancy just helpfull stuff .the reason i ask about this book is that the local book store is asking just 12 bucks for it..about roylers book, which one exactly theories and tech ? or the no gi one,

Both Royler's books are good. The no-gi book has more concepts and principles, but doesn't over do it.

I felt Mastering Jiu Jitsu was too conceptual and historical for my liking. Doesn't make it a bad book. Just not what I was personally looking for. I felt like I was reading a college thesis on BJJ.

Mastering JJ is one of my favorite BJJ books, but it does have a lot of concepts and theory (that is why I liked it). 

I also like the books with concepts, theory and history a lot more than the books that just show techniques.  I usually will pick up a few new moves from the technique books but it's really hard to show the setups and small details that make the move work.  I also find that once you look at the technique books once then they get kinda stale.  I've read "The Gracie Way" and "Mastering Jujitsu" several times (mostly while on the crapper). 

Rodney has a good point. I have read most of Gracie Way on the crapper as well.