Masvidal's Attorney Expresses Optimism of Settling Covington Assault Case Before Trial

The scheduled trial for UFC star Jorge Masvidal continues to be delayed, but will it even happen?

At a hearing Wednesday in Miami-Dade County court, Masvidal’s case was continued with a new pre-trial date of May 10 in anticipation of a May 22 trial start. However, Masvidal’s defense attorney, Saam Zangeneh, who joined virtually, indicated that a deal could be struck before then.

Masvidal, 38, has pleaded not guilty to single counts of aggravated battery and criminal mischief after he allegedly attacked former friend and UFC opponent Colby Covington outside a Miami steak restaurant.

“We’re not ready (to proceed) either,” Zangeneh said at the hearing, which MMA Junkie attended virtually. “We have the last round of depositions coming up, and I believe we’re going to be setting up with Mr. Simpson (assistant state attorney at Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office) to see if we can resolve this case. I can tell the court I’m in a multiweek trial in the district of the Virgin Islands starting on the 27th of this month. I think it would be prudent to potentially set this for status at the end of March. I think we may be able to get this resolved.”

Masvidal did not appear in person or virtually at the hearing.
If found guilty, Masvidal could face up to 15 years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine for second-degree felony aggravated battery with additional penalties possible for the criminal mischief charge.

The alleged incident took place roughly two weeks after Covington defeated Masvidal by unanimous decision in the UFC 272 headliner. Covington has claimed he suffered a brain injury and chipped tooth as a result of the attack.

Neither Masvidal nor Covington has competed since the alleged incident, though Masvidal is scheduled to fight April 8 vs. Gilbert Burns in Miami.

If I was Colby I’d demand bout tree fiddy million

1 Like

Didn’t realise Mas did all that too

stop it GameBred Brain Dead

If l were colby the sound " ka…ching" would have good off in my head when jorge told the world he was set for life in his octagon farewell speech.

How could they possibly reach a settlement, when Masvidal has been steadfast that he’s done nothing wrong, and that he’s not guilty? Is he finally admitting to being a cowardly cheap shot artist??

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect a pathetic loser mystery disguise cheap shot “artist” to actually own up to their actions even when on video with witnesses.

Colby shouldn’t stop until Phoney Montana is pawning his shitty versace robes for $10 to still come up short.

Fucking loser. If he isn’t in jail I’ll happily see him lose everything he didn’t deserve from the last few years he cashed in in UFC.

2 Likes

Mas handles this wrong. If you want to be street you face him like a man. You have your friends filming the encounter and Colby probably would have backed down as he was out numbered. Mas looks like a gangster and gets his respect back without throwing a single punch

They’ll probably plea it down and he’ll pay a fine.