Math: U actually use more than basics in your job?

Math teachers excluded from this question. lol. I'm assuming scientists and engineers use advanced math a buttload, too.

But what about the rest of you? Do you use more than basic mathematics in your career or everyday life?

I remember back in high school learning algebra, a lot of us complained to our teacher that we couldn't see how we would ever use it when we "grew up." She said, "Just wait, you'll see how important it is."

Well, I'm a big boy now and don't recall ever needing algebra for any job and am wishing I had spent all that time learning another language or something, rather than so many years building on x = y + 1, etc.

Of course, basic math (I consider this knowing how to add, subtract, multiply, divide, etc. smaller numbers in your head, and using a calculator for bigger ones) is huge for anyone to know, IMO, and I am very thankful for it. Just haven't seen the need for algebra, let alone advanced algebra, or calculus in my career.

When I tried to figure out the circumference of your mom's ass, advanced mathematics was needed. Phone Post 3.0

Pappy Knuckles - When I tried to figure out the circumference of your mom's ass, advanced mathematics was needed. Phone Post 3.0

Wasn't needed for your mom's, because everyone already knew it.

I've used some algebra and geometry in the course of doing tree work to determine height, weight, distance etc. but mostly op is right. Phone Post 3.0

I use math everyday....but nothing very advanced Phone Post 3.0

Algebra I use nearly every day.  Calculus, not nearly as much but every now and then.

I am a software developer so I do occasionally use more then just basic math but usually there isn't a lot of math involved.

There is a ton of logic in what I do though and complex math and physics taught my brain how to logically work through a problem. I think that aspect of it is beneficial for almost everyone.

Ya some math formulas to figure percentages and weights and measurements.

Everyday as an electrician Phone Post 3.0

I'm a machinist so yes I use math pretty much every single minute at work.

SOHCAHTOA....

I haven't used anything past basic algebra and some geometry in my job. I work in health sciences - food primarily and the fact that I needed pre-cal, cal 1 and 2 as well as physics for my undergrad was my first indication that colleges/universities are a business. Since then about 1/3rd of my classes, including graduate courses have been absolutely worthless.

I'm a chemist, I use math everyday. My degree required way more math classes than actually required. I could have stopped at Calc

Alchemist744 - I'm a chemist, I use math everyday. My degree required way more math classes than actually required. I could have stopped at Calc

Any idea on why you think you were required to take more math than needed? And do you wish you would have taken other classes instead or are you okay with the additional math courses?

As I mentioned, I'm thankful for my basic math, geometry, etc. But looking back I feel I could have gotten a lot more out of being able to speak Spanish, German, etc. instead of the advanced math I don't use, although I understand how others do need it.

Thingading - 
Alchemist744 - I'm a chemist, I use math everyday. My degree required way more math classes than actually required. I could have stopped at Calc

Any idea on why you think you were required to take more math than needed? And do you wish you would have taken other classes instead or are you okay with the additional math courses?

As I mentioned, I'm thankful for my basic math, geometry, etc. But looking back I feel I could have gotten a lot more out of being able to speak Spanish, German, etc. instead of the advanced math I don't use, although I understand how others do need it.

The matheatics required in order to take the Chemistry and Pharm classes I wanted. You are required to show a certain proficiency in mathematics to do the advanced formulas. I try not to see it as a waste of time and money, even though I dont use as complicated math at my job. Anytime you learn something it is not a waste. I do however wish I would have learned a foregin language, We do R&D for quite a few Chinese and Swiss Pharm companies and Clinical trials in Brazil and it would of helped me communicate with clients and patients and even advanced my research and career.

Learn Chinese they'll be a super power