Matt Hume's gym?

BusterBluth - I just read a post on sherdog that said that more people don't train at Matt Hume's because it is a "grind house" and that lower level guys get beaten up a lot.

Not true at all. In fact, it's just the opposite.

BusterBluth - I'm wondering if anyone here is a part of AMC Pankration or knows what the environment is like there?

I've been thinking about starting at his gym, but I don't have any prior experience and have no aspirations to compete or anything like that.

I know this it is a serious gym that trains champions, and I'm not sure it is a place that would want a hobbyist taking up their time.

Thank...
Yes, was there for about a year. Very friendly, and generally full classes. Easy to start up. Phone Post 3.0

ehumble - 
BusterBluth - I just read a post on sherdog that said that more people don't train at Matt Hume's because it is a "grind house" and that lower level guys get beaten up a lot.

Thats good to know. Did you spend any time training there?

sillypants - 
BusterBluth - I'm wondering if anyone here is a part of AMC Pankration or knows what the environment is like there?

I've been thinking about starting at his gym, but I don't have any prior experience and have no aspirations to compete or anything like that.

I know this it is a serious gym that trains champions, and I'm not sure it is a place that would want a hobbyist taking up their time.

Thank...
Yes, was there for about a year. Very friendly, and generally full classes. Easy to start up. Phone Post 3.0

Awesome, good instruction I presume...Why did you leave?

Dj said there's a lot of regular people that work at Google and Microsoft that train there so it seems like a very open place and not just for pros.

My question is, does Matt Hume have an open door for other pro fighters to come in and train or is he kinda exclusive to dj? I assume he has an open door but it blows my mind that more fighters haven't gone there to take their game to the next level. They go to jacksons or att or alliance, aka, elevation etc etc

Maybe they don't wanna live in Seattle? Or maybe he doesn't want any new people, I think he likes to train fighters from scratch, take guys from the beginning and make em champions rather then have already skilled fighters come in. That's a real coach.

BusterBluth - 
ehumble - 

Yes, I currently train at AMC. Have been there since August of 2014.

ehumble - 
BusterBluth - 
ehumble - 

I have an interest in taking the boxing and sub. wrestling classes on MON and WED. Do you know if the schedule on the website is accurate?

BusterBluth - 
ehumble - 
BusterBluth - 
ehumble - 

I have an interest in taking the boxing and sub. wrestling classes on MON and WED. Do you know if the schedule on the website is accurate?

Yup, the schedule is correct. You should definitely come check AMC out.

ehumble - 
BusterBluth - 
ehumble - 
BusterBluth - 
ehumble - 

Thanks VU.

I would like to. Money (and nerves) is the only reason I haven't yet, but I may be coming into a little bit more money soon which would afford me the opportunity to attend.

Earlier in the thread it was said that the classes are usually pretty full, is that at all a detriment to your ability to learn?

BusterBluth - 
ehumble - 
BusterBluth - 
ehumble - 
BusterBluth - 
ehumble - 

Thanks VU.

I would like to. Money (and nerves) is the only reason I haven't yet, but I may be coming into a little bit more money soon which would afford me the opportunity to attend.

Earlier in the thread it was said that the classes are usually pretty full, is that at all a detriment to your ability to learn?

Will PM you.

Cool interview with Matt Hume:

https://evolve-mma.com/blog/gyms-around-the-world-amc-kickboxing-pankration/

It's a dark room filled with teddy bears and inspirational quotes. In the corner you see Hume holding mitts for DJ and then during the 1 minute break DJ hope on the Xbox, then right back into live sparring, it's great. Phone Post 3.0

He really does love his video games, lol.

The Principal - I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were you! $200 a month; skimp on everything you need to in order to go (cheaper cable, internet, phone plans, etc.) Phone Post 3.0

My main problem is an has been for a while my messed up car that has needed more work than I anticipated.  And as I live some 20 miles from AMC, I have to get that sorted out first.

BusterBluth -
The Principal - I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were you! $200 a month; skimp on everything you need to in order to go (cheaper cable, internet, phone plans, etc.) Phone Post 3.0

My main problem is an has been for a while my messed up car that has needed more work than I anticipated.  And as I live some 20 miles from AMC, I have to get that sorted out first.

Your getting close to a year ... Just go. Most places have a free class sometimes even a month. Some even will let you make your own payment schedule up.
Step 1 is walk through the doors.. Trust me you won't regret it Phone Post 3.0

ThickS0lid N Right -
BusterBluth -

Your getting close to a year ... Just go. Most places have a free class sometimes even a month. Some even will let you make your own payment schedule up.
Step 1 is walk through the doors.. Trust me you won't regret it Phone Post 3.0

Thanks man...I can afford the monthy payments as it stands now(barely), but it  could take another $1500 to fix my car just to be able to get there. I don't know if AMC has payment plans, but its a moot point right now because my car can't make the trip.

Blowtorch19 - This is a couple years old but it seems pretty welcoming.

http://youtu.be/2NPdxHe2nl8 Phone Post 3.0

BusterBluth -

Cool interview with Matt Hume:

I trained there back in 2001 for 3 months while I lived in Seattle. Cant say enough good things. Great environment regardless of if you are a pro or have never trained. Lots of Pacific northwest fighters coming thru to crosstrain from places like Mo Smiths, Hallmans, Charlie Pearsons, Quest, etc.

Find a way to make it happen. You wont be disappointed. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks CavRyda for posting up the pics and vid.

And donnybrook for the comment.