MMA Underground Forums

Matt Leinart trains UFC!!!

GLAZER HOPES TO TURN LEINART FROM “PRETTY BOY” INTO “KILLER”

The first two quarterbacks taken in the 2006 draft have largely disappointed during their three years as NFL players.  But while Titans quarterback Vince Young is merely talking about his desire to reclaim his starting job, Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart is taking action.

In addition to working out with Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Leinart enlisted the assistance of FOX’s Jay Glazer to toughen up the former Heisman Trophy winner.

Leinart has been engaged in Mixed Martial Arts training with Glazer, and now Glazer has decided to make his services available to any pro athlete interested in following the same path.

During an appearance on The Dan Patrick Show, Leinart and Glazer talked about the transformation.

Glazer said that Leinart had the perception of being a “pretty boy,” and that Glazer’s goal was to make Leinart into a “killer.”

We spoke to Glazer by phone after his spot with Patrick, and Glazer talked in more detail about his new pet project.  He said that Leinart is “more of a tough guy now,” as a result of being pushed beyond all mental and physical limits.

Assisting Glazer were WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner, UFC Ultimate Fighter reality show winner Ryan Bader, and UFC’s Jesse Forbes and C.B. Dolloway.  (Yeah, we had to have Glazer spell all of those names for us.)

Glazer, who calls MMA “the greatest sport in the word,” said that Leinart’s new attitude came out at one point during the training, when Jamie Varner was giving Leinart a hard time verbally.

“Shut the f–k up, Varner,” Leinart barked.

Glazer said that video of Leinart’s workouts will be posted Monday, at FOXSports.com.

Whether the work propels Leinart to the top of the depth chart in Arizona remains to be seen.  “Kurt [Warner] is the starter and rightfully so,” Leinart told Patrick.  “My mindset is I’m competing with him.”

Other pretty (and not-so-pretty) pro atheltes can also be trained by Glazer’s MMA cohorts.  Glazer and UFC champion Randy Couture are launching MMAthletics, exclusively for pro athletes.  (Given Glazer’s day job, most of the actual training will be done by Couture and his team.)

Glazer’s group already is training veteran linebacker Victor Hobson, who also plays for the Cardinals.  Glazer previously helped Vikings defensive end Jared Allen get started with MMA training, and Allen lost weight and increased his quickness and strength a couple of years ago.

Pro athletes interested in the program can find out more by dropping a line to Jay at GlazerNFL@hotmail.com.

Why do we have a feeling that a few of the non-pro athletes in the audience might be sending Jay some greetings and salutations, too?  (We hope that Glazer will at least forward to us the funniest ones he gets.)

TUF 11 will have Matt Leinart

why do you state "UFC", rather then MMA, like the article reads?

Kind of misleading to be honest.

RichDalton - why do you state "UFC", rather then MMA, like the article reads?

Have you not seen the forum in the past like, 3 years?

lol, he misspelled "trane" as well.

Brigham - 
RichDalton - why do you state "UFC", rather then MMA, like the article reads?

Have you not seen the forum in the past like, 3 years?

LOL!

shut up glazer

Well, Leinart needs something to do when not holding clipboards

Brigham have you heard of Size-On from gaspari nutrition?

Isn't it a conflict of interest for Glazer to be training or at least helping guys that he covers?

themstiles, tv doesn't believe in conflict of interest.

that article is highly gayish.

Thats really cool  Leinart training MMA. But I dout it's going to win him the starting postion...

sign him up

Brigham, Yeah, I thought you were being sarcastic, rather then being funny. My bad.

Ive seen Leinart working his ass off in the gym the past couple of weeks, hes been doing alot of standup.

Kurt Warner was there too a couple weeks back (I just saw him there once) . Theres another player that trains there too with Leinart and Varner, i think hes a linebacker, but i dont watch football and couldnt tell you which team he plays for... but i do know hes built like a linebacker and hits like a truck.

Havent seen them in there recently, not sure if camp has started for them or not.

I think its cool that they train the sport, in between their breaks and/or after their workouts i always see them checking out the BJJ class going on, but im pretty sure they wont roll with just anyone cause they cant afford to get hurt, and thats understandable, but its pretty cool to see how much they are into it...

Just my .02

Well, he sucks as an NFL QB. I guess he might as well try MMA.

You do not train UFC.  You train MMA.

But you do TRANE UFC!!!!!!!!!!!!!