Matt Lobs Truth Bombs!

Check out this link to see a good discussion and watch Matt use
truth bombs to dismantle the old argument that Hubud as an
energy drill is effective training. Truly a masterful performance
and fun reading!
http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/showthread.php?t=13014

"Truly a masterful performance and fun reading!"

Agreed. After years of addressing this Matt has become very efficient at communicating his point.
I think I'm going to start using "Negative, see above" when I argue politics and religion with people :).

I tried to follow the link, but unfortunately I was blocked by my works servers!

But I have heard the arguements before.

The basic tie and untie motions of Hubud are a fixed pattern. But the foot work isn't, and what variable(s) are inserted like arm drags, pushes, strikes, neck grabs, foot drags, knees, elbows, etc are not. Switching training methods is also done, where from the neck grab we move into a brief plumb exchange, or into a grapplers arm swimming for position, or a wrist, elbow or shoulder grab or pulling exchange. The pressure and intesity is varied and can be done up to sparring level. A return to the patternised movements is only necessary to provide another opportunity for the player to percieve, identify and react to another spontaneous variable from the armlength touching range.

It has increased my perception and awareness for my opponents movement and intentions when I clinch and roll. My actions and transitions are more spontaneous, and my ability to react to someone putting their hands anywhere on my arms is much better.

Its not the whole puzzle, just a piece of the puzzle.

I think many practicioners learn a few variables and think that's the whole game. But that would be like learning a few combinations and thinking you can fight.

Now I believe coaching punching is done well when you devise a structure that allows you to establish a base of set combinations and defensive reactions, that then address infinate variables to be addressed and trained against. It allows you to focus on those variables that might need training the most. Nobody gets really good just free sparring. Structure and Aliveness must balance based on what the focus and goal is at that point in training.

Why should my entry/clinch game be different?

Is there a time when experience will dictate less structure is needed? Absolutely! Do more free rolling and sparring.

Is there always room for refinement on specifics? Definately! Come back to the drills that teach the basics.

That's why I haven't thrown out basic reaction drills to punches and combo's.

It's also why a full repetoire of hubud, dumog, silat, CSW, and BJJ all feed off each other. 'Cuz its all GRAPPLING!

If something works better for you, great. But my game is good and getting better every day, week and month. And that's all I can ask from my training!

Ray White

It comes down to the concept of 'activity specific movement'. Without understanding that concept a person may very well be taking two steps forward and three steps back.

That thread sums it all up well for those interested.

http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/

main forum.

tacticalfighter,
Do yourself a favor and read the thread. I think even the guy who was
so adamant about hubud changed his mind by the end although he
wouldn't come right out and say it. He started out saying that hubud
was a great "shell" in order to teach other skills and ended up saying
he doesn't use it much anymore but only uses it in seminars where he
thinks it is the only thing the participants will respond to. Good stuff.

Matt,
Just read that thread, interesting.

I don't know what Hubad is (think I get the idea from the post though) but whats your thoughts on Uchi-Komi type practice from Judo? Is this a useful 'style' of drill from your perspective, or simular to the others discussed above.
Just trying to frame the ideas discussed around something I'm a bit more familar with.
Thanks for your time.
Troy.

Troy, honestly I am not familiar with that terminology, so I don't know what you are referencing?

Perhaps Luis or Karl can chime in, as they are far more familiar with Judo then I am.

Sorry!

It’s where the Judo guys 'fit' into the first part of the throw and then reverse out again.
Kind of practice the first part of the throw without resistance in rhythm, and then only maybe throw on the 10th rep, type of thing.

So it hasn’t really go any resistance but almost mirrors the movements that occur in performing the throw (although this may be debatable as well I guess).

Thanks.
Troy

Tball,

Sorry for hijacking your thread here. I'm a big fan of the SBG (as well as a judoka) and I think I can frame it this way. For me. uchikomi fits within the "three 'I' framework" that the SBG talk about. The first stage when you learn the throw is the "Introduce" stage. The second is when you do it in uchi-komi with progressive stages of resistance and movement (static/3-man/moving uchikomi) is the "Isolation" stage. The last is the "Integration" stage - full on randori.

It's similar to boxing when you learn the jab, work the jab on the pads when the trainer is moving it around and firing counters back at you and finally...sparring.

If I have got any of the above wrong, please let me know. As I said, I'm no expert, just someone who's supportive of the SBG Philosophy and their emphasis on alive training, and always willing to learn.

Cheers

please hijack away!
Thats exactly the kind of info I'm after. I'm really impressed with the SBG gym stuff and just trying to frame it around some stuff I can relate to (and check that my simple thought process has actually understood what Im reading :-) ).

Thanks.
Troy.

That's it. That would fall into the category of Introduction, and it's certainly activity specific.

So it would be solid, and VERY different from the drills discussed in the other thread that you may not be familiar with.

Thanks Matt, Valan,

Clarifies the 3 I's as well, which I wasn't fully sure about.

Troy,

How effective uchikomi is really depends on how you integrate it in with the rest of your training. As a practicing Judoka, I find that the uchikomi you described is best suited as a warm-up or to teach beginners the basics of the throw. After that, it's in the isolation stage that you really learn the nuances of the technique and how to apply it effectively.

And this would apply whether you're drilling a judo, wrestling or any other kind of throw.

Regards
Kon

"It comes down to the concept of 'activity specific movement'."

That was the key for me. It is common sense. Although I do enjoy an occasional round of patty cake with my daughter. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"That was the key for me. It is common sense. Although I do enjoy an occasional round of patty cake with my daughter. Not that there's anything wrong with that."

That is certainly a good context!

www.straightblastgym.com