Matt Serra - Annoying as hell

Am I the only one who hates hearing him in the corner during a fight? Can he shut up for one moment? "BIG KNEE BAM BAM, BIG KNEE! BIG KNEE! BIG KNEE! BIG KNEE! NIIIIICCCCCCCEEEE". Plus what is up with so many negative comments from the corner?

"Why are you doing that? Where's the shoulder pressure? What did we train Bam Bam? Why did we train that?"

There were moments where he just relentlessly critisising his fighter. Man don't do that when the guy is in a tough spot. Tell him how to get out of it, don't give out to him for getting in it.

The voice just does my head in though. I was sitting there thinking "I didn't know Janice from Friends was an MMA fan". Anytime something happened I was waiting to hear. "Oh. My. GAWWD!"

Ever heard Laimon in a corner?

Does he sound like Fran Drescher?

Yea, I agree, yelling stuff like "PUT HIS KNEE TO HIS NOSE, SHONE" is way less useful than yelling "RETARD STRENGTH" or making comments like "judo throws don't work".

LOL I can totally see where you are coming from as a nice Long Island accent can be one of the most annoying things in the world this side of Boston.

I disagree about Matt though. he strikes me as a really cool guy. Also, I think he's a good corner man. Personally, I think it might be a bit distracting to have him yammering on in my corner. But, he seems really passionate and knowledgeable. Maybe it would be good.

LOL @ "What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE! What did we practice, SHONE? Put your knee up his nose, SHONE!"

And when he spends five minutes asking his fighters what they're doing wrong instead of tellin them their next move?

I'd love to have Serra as a corner man

I have new found respect(not that I didn't really have respect Matt) for Matt watching him on TUF4. He is a natural leader and I can see why his students like him so much.

novice, i agree with you entirely. if he were my cornerman, i'd find him to be very loud and distracting. just my .02

Yep Yourmomsbox exactly what I was talking about. There's point where you're just distracting the guy.

It's good encouragement for some and not for othes. Mat isn't commentation for your own good or the audience, he just instructing the fighter.

He is one of the best corners in the sport. This is a passionate sport. If you like match a quiet contemplative discussion of what to do, maybe see if anyone wires golf caddies? :-)

I understand where everyone's coming from being annoyed at Matt's way of expressing himself and talking to his guys. Having spent every minute of my life on Long Island until moving down south a month ago, I love hearing his shitty heavy accent and find it comforting haha. And it also makes me look alot less wierd when I talk to my friends down here since they're all fans of the show as well.

Serra is doing a great job as a corner man

lol @ kirik

I don't mind passion, I just wish he'd shut up for one second out of 10.

And the whole thing with yelling at and even sometimes talking down to the guys he's cornering. Well thats old school New York style Italian discipline 101. And if you think he's bad hahaha come to Long Island and go to a little league game. He's simply a product of his environment and the way Older people teach younger people on LI and prolly alot of other places too. Damn, so much so I hadda go back and look for these instances because the first time I saw them it seemed totally normal to get screamed and made to feel like shit while your performing bad. haha.

"If you like match a quiet contemplative discussion of what to do, maybe see if anyone wires golf caddies?"

Huh?

scratches head

hopes not to get banned

well his team is 2 for 2 something is working.he already has more victories in 2 episodes than lemon does in his ufc coaching career.

not to troll but ive never seen a Laimon coached fighter win an MMA fight.Anyone who has ever been coached by Matt has nothing but good things to say about him