Matthew 10:28 "Destroy Body/Soul"

Translated in the KJV as :

Matthew 10:28 "Fear not him who can kill the body, but he who kills both body and soul in Gehenna."

"And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna."

(Gehenna was a literal place in Jerusalem - the rubbish dump)

Who do you think this is talking about?

Consider these things :

Jesus is talking not to a crowd, not to pharisees, but to his disciples.

Is he telling them to fear God?

Is "the one" that he is talking about God or someone else?

Also bear in mind what the next two verses say :

"29`Are not two sparrows sold for an assar? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father;

30and of you -- even the hairs of the head are all numbered;

31be not therefore afraid, than many sparrows ye are better. "

If the point of this story is to tell people to fear God, why does he say to them "don't fear God" in the next two verses.

I read an interesting interpretation of this :

"Jesus describes two groups of people. First, those who who will betray, capture and kill you; and second, those who call you names and bear false witness against you. One group of people Jesus said to beware of, the other group of people he said do not worry about. One group of people who betray their children to death, the other group of people will insult you. One group of people who you should fear, another group of people who you should not. "

"Jesus tells His Disciples plainly the people whom they should beware of in Matthew 10:16 he says, "Look, I'm sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as serpents and as harmless as doves." Jesus told them they were going as prey to carnivorous animals! They needed to be shrewd as serpents concerning them and He speaks of these carnivorous animals specifically in Matthew 10:17, "Because people will hand you over to sanhedrins and flog you in their synagogues, beware of them." So be fearful (beware) of those of the sanhedrin! "

It basically goes on to say that the point of the paragraph is Jesus telling his disciples not to fear the first group, but to fear the sanhedrin.

I'm not completely convinced as yet, some elements of it do make more sense (for example - why would Jesus say to his disciples, his friends "Beware, if you don't do what I like, I will throw you in the Gehenna!" - especially when taken in context) I'm going to study this some more.