Matthew 10:33

"But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."

What are your thoughts on this verse? Does it sound profound or petty to you...or something else? Is "tit for tat" appropriate for a divine being who refuses to give plain evidence for his very existence? Does that sound like a coercive threat?

I understand that, but it's really faith with a gun to your head, don't you think? It doesn't encourage faithfulness out of virtue...merely out of fear of abandonment.

not very Essene like

:)

lol....doh!

I think this is the use of hyperbole, to help us to understand that the kingdom of God only comes when we are living out the life of Christ, we cannot be the place where heaven and earth meet (the new temple) if we deny Christ. This is apparent, because Peter did deny Christ, yet Christ lovingly returned to Peter and restored him.

rev

No it doesn't. I am sure I commit sins all the time that I don't even know are sins, Jesus conquered sin and death, if I believe that then He makes up for my weakness.

rev

Peter was restored in order to be tested again and die for his Lord.  I don't think it is hyperbole for those who were faced with the decision to deny Christ and live or remain loyal to him and die (see the martyrdom of Polycarp as an early example).  

I don't think this is an issue for those who have serious doubts about Christ.  This is for those who know he is real but still deny him before men. 

I think monkeyshine means a general attitude of repentance, a lifestyle that is humble and acknowledges ones sinfulness and still a confession for omission and commission as part of a walk with the Lord.

Are you bored the Hawker?  Of course you know your post will require at least three pages of text from Rooster in response.

Could it be interpreted as:

Whoever acknowledges (ie lives) the Christ type life before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven (ie he will live the benefits though coming one with God). 33 But whosoever shall deny me before men (treasure the knowledge as a private thing), him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven (will reap no benefits)?

"But whosoever shall deny me before men,

him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."

you should back track to 10:24,for better understanding,

this section is usually looked

upon by scholars,as *The cost and compensations of discipleship"

which thus would make the meaning,that once you accept Jesus as your saviour,

you can't play both sides of the fence,proclaiming him one moment,denying him the next,

in for a penny,in for a pound.