Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Jon “Bones” Jones

ttt

Jones wins by however he wants to!

Shogun's short tenure as champion is about to be over.

Cee-

I think you're a little too caught up in statistics. I gurantee you if Shogun faced Machida in the shape that he was when he fought Forrest/Coleman, he would have gotten tooled. Shogun redefined himself as a fighter coming into the Machida fights, and while you can say that he has a loss to Machida, Compustrike will disagree with you. (http://compustrike.com/stats_files/ufc_104/MacHida-Rua.HTM)

Also, I think too much credit is being given to Jones' top game. Yes, he's made elite wrestlers look like n00bs off there backs, but when do wrestlers ever look good off their backs? Vera was able to neutralize Jones' GnP very well and did so for a few minutes receiving hardly any damage until he left that one opening that Jones took to break his face with. Shogun won't give Jones that opening

Watch Shogun's fights where he's ever been on bottom. You'll notice that he isn't there for long. Jones has proved to have a ridiculous top game, but against non-black belts. Shogun isn't just your run of the mill black belt either, his MMA jits is very slick and leagues above anyone Jones has faced so far.

Cee-

I think you're a little too caught up in statistics. I gurantee you if Shogun faced Machida in the shape that he was when he fought Forrest/Coleman, he would have gotten tooled. Shogun redefined himself as a fighter coming into the Machida fights, and while you can say that he has a loss to Machida, Compustrike will disagree with you. (http://compustrike.com/stats_files/ufc_104/MacHida-Rua.HTM)

Also, I think too much credit is being given to Jones' top game. Yes, he's made elite wrestlers look like n00bs off there backs, but when do wrestlers ever look good off their backs? Vera was able to neutralize Jones' GnP very well and did so for a few minutes receiving hardly any damage until he left that one opening that Jones took to break his face with. Shogun won't give Jones that opening

Watch Shogun's fights where he's ever been on bottom. You'll notice that he isn't there for long. Jones has proved to have a ridiculous top game, but against non-black belts. Shogun isn't just your run of the mill black belt either, his MMA jits is very slick and leagues above anyone Jones has faced so far.

Shogun can't wrestle?

Healthy Shogun took down Rampage at will.

Shogun is incredible at everything except for wrestling. His ideas of takedowns have always been to grab a guys shoulders and jump diagonally in their direction.

MMATruth - Cee-

If I'm relying too much on statistics, then you're relying too much on opinion, here's why:

You site Rua's fights in the cage, he has only 5, and of the 5, he has lost 2.

My reliance on facts are just that, facts.

We haven't seen enough of Rua recently to make the same claims that applied to him in his PRIDE FC days.

We have seen Jones though, and he appears to get better each bout, making the difficult appear easy.

We haven't seen any of the bottom game from Rua that you claim recently, and we certainly haven't witnessed it in the UFC against a top flight opponent like Jones.

Now, there are things that we haven't seem with Jones either, and that's because he's dominating so often that it appears he's untested.

That really isn't true because he's just that good so far.

The fights that you speak of happened many years ago in an entirely different organization.

So far in the UFC, Rua has won against Machida by strikes, Coleman by strikes and Chuck by strikes.

That adds up to 2 counter-strikers and 1 over the hill fighter.

The funny thing is that 2 of the fighters own a victory over Rua.

Lidell was shell-shocked.

I don't see what you see in Rua at this point in the game, I believe he figured out Machida and caught him at the right moment.

He won't figure out Jones, none of us have figured out Jones.

He leaves us with our mouths open, saying, "WTF?" and "What's this guy gonna do next?"

You know what I mean, the same way Rua used to leave us asking the same questions 5 years ago.

It's Jones' time now, get used to it, I have.

DoomFarmer - 
tapout tough guy - Shogun can't wrestle?

Healthy Shogun took down Rampage at will.

Que??

Watch the Shogun/Rampage fight. Rampage offered no resistance to Shogun's takedowns.

Great thread and nice analysis from both sides. One thing to watch out for is just how ridiculously small Jones legs are, and he also doesn't seem to tuck his chin well. Jones will really need to be prepared for some brutal leg kicks.

As much as people say Jones has looked better in each fight, Shogun has as well in his UFC career. Win or lose each fight he's been better than the last, since the Forrest fight, regardless of win or loss. Phone Post