Maybe Nick Diaz turned down the fight because...

With Jake Shields taking on Hector Lombard, Diaz wanted to let his good friend get a crack at the title. We all know the Diaz brothers respect their teammates and training partners to the highest level -- look at Nate and Gil -- so Diaz may not have wanted to complicate the title picture by getting in the mix with Jake. 

Of course, there is also the possibility that he simply didn't want to return because he isn't mentally or physically ready to compete at this time, but I think Jake's presence had a big part in  the picture. 

Whatever reason Diaz had for turning down the fight, we know that it's not because he is scared. 

I think it's mostly because he's "retired" and doesn't want to "come back" now tha GSP is done.

Stop making excuses for him. He bitched and moaned about an opponent running away from him, then when he is offered to fight and redeem himself he rejected it. If this was anyone else but Diaz the UG wouldnt be making excuses for him they'd be calling him a pussy or hypocrite for moaning then rejecting the opportunity when it is presented.

gamechanger - Wait, what...Jake is fighting Lombard???!!!!!!

Wow, what a terrible match up for Jake....Zuffa is definently throwing Jake under the bus with an insane match up like this that he has no chance of winning
Idiots like you say this every time Shields fights, if this fight goes past the first, Jake has a very large shot at winning.

SMH, people always counting Shields out.

War Lombard though.. Phone Post 3.0

Wow, what a terrible match up for Jake....Zuffa is definently throwing Jake under the bus with an insane match up like this that he has no chance of winning
Jake is gonna smother Lombard. It is a mismatch just the opposite of what you're thinking. Phone Post 3.0

MMc AA - Stop making excuses for him. He bitched and moaned about an opponent running away from him, then when he is offered to fight and redeem himself he rejected it. If this was anyone else but Diaz the UG wouldnt be making excuses for him they'd be calling him a pussy or hypocrite for moaning then rejecting the opportunity when it is presented.
If Georges turned down a fight right now i don't think the UG would be in flames.. Nick is retired man, get over your butthurt. Phone Post 3.0

Willo232 - 
MMc AA - Stop making excuses for him. He bitched and moaned about an opponent running away from him, then when he is offered to fight and redeem himself he rejected it. If this was anyone else but Diaz the UG wouldnt be making excuses for him they'd be calling him a pussy or hypocrite for moaning then rejecting the opportunity when it is presented.
If Georges turned down a fight right now i don't think the UG would be in flames.. Nick is retired man, get over your butthurt. Phone Post 3.0

GSP has never accused another fighter of being scared or running away from him.

Why would Nick want to fight someone again that didn't want to fight him the first time?

That makes zero sense and Nick is absolutely right.  

MMc AA -
Willo232 - 

You do know what the word retired means right? Phone Post 3.0

I think he's waiting to see if Robbie or Jonny get injured...

Hoping that he gets to skip the queue...

toddiejasl - I think he's waiting to see if Robbie or Jonny get injured...

Also a possibility. We have seen that work for plenty of fighters in the past and Nate recently joked that he would do the same at lightweight.

LOL @ him ducking anyone. Phone Post 3.0

JoshSanchez -
toddiejasl - I think he's waiting to see if Robbie or Jonny get injured...

Also a possibility. We have seen that work for plenty of fighters in the past and Nate recently joked that he would do the same at lightweight.

He's coming off 2 losses and a title shot. His time for skipping queues is over. You can bet your last dollar he is going to need to fight again before a title shot. Phone Post 3.0

I don't think he's ducking anyone but also don't think he declined out of some noble gesture for Shields.

IMO he feels like he deserves a title shot and that's the only fight he's interested in, besides Anderson Silva. Big money fights. Phone Post 3.0

LitUp - I don't think he's ducking anyone but also don't think he declined out of some noble gesture for Shields.

IMO he feels like he deserves a title shot and that's the only fight he's interested in, besides Anderson Silva. Big money fights. Phone Post 3.0

I just think it's something interesting that could be in the back of his mind. I mean, if Dana said that he could "maybe" come back in May, perhaps he is seeing what happens with Shields' fight first. 

Willo232 - 
MMc AA -
Willo232 - 

You do know what the word retired means right? Phone Post 3.0

"I'll be back in May" doesn't sound very retired to me.

Nick's probably waiting to see if Robbie Lawler wins the belt. He knows that's his best chance at getting another title shot since he won their first fight and it's a fight the fans have been asking for since Lawler knocked out Koscheck

doesn't he also have his fight promotion going on? WAR or somethin in stockton? Phone Post

Against a fighter with less cardio, Jake always has a shot. Phone Post 3.0

The Perverted One -
MMA Lives Here - Nick ducked Condit. It was the biggest fight available for his ranking, legacy and banked account and he ducked. Guess he wants to fight a wrestler, not a hitter. Phone Post 3.0
Lol nick bitch slapped Condit you think he's scared of him Phone Post 3.0
The ass pain runeth deep with this one. Phone Post 3.0