McComeback?

2 Likes

Every day that passes is another closer to the return of Conor McGregor.

The biggest star in MMA, McGregor has not fought since suffering a brutal injury in his third bout with Dustin Poirier, more than a year ago. While it is understandable that he would want to take his time in returning to action after what was one of the nastiest leg injuries seen in combat sports, he has provided some updates along the way to show that he has been healing well and is making strides towards being able to compete again.

Conor McGregor Promises A Historic Return

While there were questions recently about whether or not Conor McGregor was still going to be competing in the UFC due to the fact that he has not been tested by USADA all year, he all but confirmed that he was still looking to fight in a recent Q&A on Twitter. Here, the Irishman reaffirmed his previous promise that when he does return, it will be in a bout at welterweight.

ā€œDefinitely,ā€ McGregor wrote in response to someone asking if 170lb was next.

On top of this, McGregor gave something of a prediction for how his return is going to play out. When one user asked how big his comeback was going to be, he had a bold proclamation to make.

ā€œThe greatest comeback in sports history,ā€ McGregor responded.

This is a bold claim for Conor McGregor to live up to, especially considering some of the incredible comebacks we have seen in MMA alone, with the likes of Dominick Cruz returning from a laundry list of injuries to reclaim the title being just one example.

Nevertheless, if he were to somehow fight for and win a title at welterweight, this would be a worthy addition to any sportā€™s fanā€™s favorite comeback list.

1 Like

UFC star Conor McGregor has been away from competition for more than a year now, with no specific guarantee of a return. More speculations arose when it recently came to light that ā€œThe Notoriousā€ has not been tested by USADA since the third quarter of 2021.

But there continues to be some footage of McGregor in the gym, with his most recent one in the wrestling room. Chael Sonnen ā€“ an NCAA Division I wrestler himself ā€“ got wind of this four-minute clip and was left impressed.
For Sonnen, the fact that McGregor went through the wrestling grind is a good enough indicator of a comeback.

ā€œMy number one takeaway, Conorā€™s not playing. There are guys who would go into a gym, they would go do a whole gym workout and theyā€™ll lift some weights, theyā€™ll hit the pull-up bar, theyā€™ll make sure they snap a photo of themselves for Instagram. Theyā€™ll hit the water fountain. Theyā€™ll even go hit some mitts, oh they love looking good at the mitts. Theyā€™ll go do the speed bag, get a little clip, put this outā€¦

ā€œThatā€™s exercise, thatā€™s good stuff. Thatā€™s good exercise. Conor grabbing a guy, pushing and pulling, back-and-forthā€¦ you donā€™t play wrestling.

ā€œYou donā€™t play wrestling, itā€™s very difficult. Itā€™s very hard stuff, and the fact that Conor McGregor is out there on a weekend, pushing and pulling, and heā€™s wrestlingā€¦ Guys, heā€™s coming back.

ā€œThis is the surest thing to a guarantee weā€™ve had. Not his tweets. Not his memes. Not him hitting pads. The fact that Conor McGregor ā€” whoā€™s down a good 15 pounds ā€” is pushing and pulling and wrestling, something you donā€™t play, something you donā€™t do to burn caloriesā€¦ Conor McGregor is coming back!ā€

McGregorā€™s last fight happened at UFC 264 in July 2021, in a trilogy against Dustin Poirier. He lost via first-round TKO due to a broken leg.

1 Like

Justin Gaethje isnā€™t all that interested in fighting Conor McGregor any time soon, for one specific reason.

Gaethje is looking to return to action in the first quarter of 2023 after having successful nose surgery over the summer. In an interview with MMA Fighting, he was asked about the potential of a matchup between two of the most exciting fighters in the history of the sport once McGregor is ready to return following a nasty leg injury suffered against Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 in July 2021.

In Gaethjeā€™s eyes, McGregor had the chance to face him already, but it never came to fruition as McGregor went on to face Donald Cerrone instead after more than a year away from the sport.
ā€œIf everybody would just remember correctly, I fought Cowboy, I beat him and then he fought Cowboy right after that [at UFC 246 in January 2020],ā€ Gaethje told MMA Fighting. ā€œI was primed and ready to go. It sounds to me like heā€™s off taking steroids right now. He hasnā€™t been drug tested by USADA in quite some time. Iā€™m looking for fair competition.ā€

As far as his fighting career goes, Gaethje is certainly open to fighting McGregor, but he wants to have an even playing field if what he believes about the former two-division champion is true.

ā€œIf heā€™s on steroids, then give me steroids and letā€™s go, Iā€™m down with that,ā€ Gaethje said. ā€œMy health is my biggest factor. I have never taken a performance-enhancing drug, and I do not want to fight people that are taking performance enhancing drugs.ā€

MMA Fighting reached out to McGregorā€™s management team Paradigm Sports, who declined to comment on Gaethjeā€™s thoughts.

For Gaethje, McGregor isnā€™t even a concern. Heā€™s focused on getting back to the road that could lead him to another lightweight title opportunity.

But he understands the questions about McGregor will likely keep coming up.

ā€œI donā€™t even know how it works, I donā€™t even know how steroids work,ā€ Gaethje said. ā€œIā€™m sure thereā€™s windows, Iā€™m sure it will [eventually] be fine, Iā€™m sure he can come back and be clean, but the fact that he hasnā€™t been drug tested tells me heā€™s taking steroids, whether itā€™s to heal his leg or not.

ā€œIf I break my leg, Iā€™m not taking steroids to heal my leg. He had the chance to fight me, he didnā€™t fight me. He picked ā€˜Cowboy,ā€™ so whatever. Who knows? Maybe. Iā€™m sure heā€™s much more confident now that he can beat me, he certainly didnā€™t take the fight then because he wasnā€™t confident, so maybe heā€™s more confident now and more willing to dance.ā€

1-3 in the last 4 years.

2 Likes

ā€œIā€™ve KOā€™d every Brazilian Iā€™ve fought. Iā€™d KO Charles too.ā€

When the Irishman was asked to predict the result of the upcoming match between Charles Oliveira and Islam Makhachev, he said:

ā€œOlly and easily.ā€
So there you have it, McGregor believes he could KO Oliveira but also believes it will be Oliveira who will take down Makhachev on October 22nd.

Who would you like to see McGregor fight upon his return to the Octagon? Do you agree that the Irishman would have no problem taking ā€˜do Bronxā€™ down? Will you be watching Oliveira vs Makhachev at UFC 280?

YAWN

1 Like

Is he related to Charlie Zelenoff?

1 Like

Born: July 14, 1988 (age 34 years

his best fighting years are behind him

dont expect much

4 Likes

Please retire and go away.

2 Likes

Sleep Yawn GIF

Conor is so boring.

What a sad little man he became.

k-pop pay attention GIF by Korea

Look out Dennis Siver.

1 Like

awkward uncomfortable smile GIF by Originals

1 Like

Heā€™ll get beat handily by anyone in the UFC. His only chance would be catching someone quick but thatā€™s a very low probability.

1 Like

tired monday GIF by BrownSugarApp