" McGregor Has Skillset to Beat Gaethje but not Oliveira " - Outlaw

conner is going to need a win. over anybody. before i’m going to start wondering if he has a chance against top 5 guys. i’m not sure he beats anybody in the top 15.

I’m a huge Conor fan.

I don’t think he beats either of them. He may very well have the physical skills to win against Gaethje and I think he probably has a better than average shot at Oliviera as well. The problem is his heart. His heart isn’t anywhere close to being in it.

2 Likes

That fight was at 170. It makes a difference imo.
Nm, I’m wrong and retarded.

Conor at 145 had power. At 155 he just hits hard. Chandler hits harder than anyone in the division. That is power at 155. Justin got wobbled pretty good by him and recovered. Obviously anything is possible but Conor isn’t what he was in 2015.

3 Likes

No it isn’t.

Johnson knocked out Poirier at 155.

Conor was only able to do it when Dustin was weight depleted at FW.

1 Like

Agree.

Unless Conor knocks Gaethje out, Gaethje beats his ass, both from legjicks and heart.

The Conor that dominated Eddie Alvarez probably teens off on Gaethje and drops him several times too.

This Conor is a shell of himself

4 Likes

Conor only beat Eddie because it was still early in the fight.

The Conor that beat Eddie is the same Conor that lost to Diaz and went life and death with him after gassing out in the second round in the rematch.

I agree with this. And I think Conor still has solid power, he’s just lacking the skills, setups, & ability to land consistently now that he used to have. And then if he can’t do it in one he’s toast from not training hard consistently & living a party life.

Diaz was able to survive the shots. Eddie couldn’t. He landed them on Diaz too.

1 Like

I think McGregor might be a bit too fragile to face Justin at this point of his career. Will get KOd worse than he did vs Dustin.

3 Likes

Yep, his body isn’t a fighter’s anymore.

Gaethje is for sure a BIG favorite there…but it’s a fight that Conor CAN win if everything goes his way. I think that’s what Hardy is saying here. I don’t think he’s saying he expects Conor to win that fight, but it’s a fight that at least has a path to victory for Conor.

Gaethje and Chandler are probably the only guys in the top 10 who will try to beat Conor at what he’s good at. Everyone else would likely clinch him, take him down etc…I don’t think Conor is likely to beat any of the top guys, but Gaethje and Chandler are at least compelling because I think the fight mostly stays standing until it ends. I can’t say that about the rest of the top 10.

Depending on who you have in the top 10, a guy like Fisiev would stand with him too, but that’s not a fight that will happen. Conor is going to fight someone who has headlined PPVs in his next fight.

1 Like

I felt the same way about the Chandler fight. It’s kind of hard to know exactly how hard Charles is getting hit/hurt since it seems like a huge part of his strategy is to bait the opponent into a ground exchange so he does tend to flop more than the average fighter

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree. He was landing just fine on the feet against Poirier…he just got cracked and stopped. Poirier is a great offensive fighter too, and he hit Conor clean enough to get him out of there. I think Conor’s offense is still great, he just isn’t great at taking clean shots. We saw that in the Diaz fight too.

I never thought Conor was a defensive master or anything…he was always just really good at landing clean punches, especially early…and when he lands clean and stops the guy, he wins. When he lands clean and doesn’t stop the guy, he loses.

I don’t necessarily think Conor is less skilled now…Poirier is just a whole lot better now than he was when they fought the first time.

I dunno. He was flat footed & stiff as a board getting stuck with counters often when he landed.

But he’s always been a better hammer than nail.

floyd fight absolutely ruined him

dana has got to regret allowing it

4 Likes

Not sure about Conor the boxer.

But Conor who fought Alvarez would make Gaethje real look bad on the feet.

3 Likes

He doesn’t exist anymore.

1 Like