McGregor WARNED to Stay Away from Welterweight

2 Likes

Former UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor, who also held gold at 145 pounds, has long teased a run at the welterweight title in an effort to become the promotion’s first ever three-division champion. Unfortunately for MMA fans, “Notorious” got rich and famous and became a part-time fighter who now sports a putrid 1-3 record over the last five years, getting stopped in all three losses.

In addition, the 34 year-old Irishman is coming off major surgery after breaking his leg against Dustin Poirier last summer. It’s not unreasonable to think those factors — along with his muscular 190-pound frame — would compel McGregor to contemplate a return to 170 pounds, where he last competed in the UFC 246 main event against fellow puffed-up lightweight Donald Cerrone.

Bad idea, according to No. 4-ranked contender Gilbert Burns.
“I’m not even calling for that fight cause it’s not fair,” the Brazilian told MMA Fighting. “I think he’s a 55-pounder, [if] he’s at 170, he can’t take those punches. He cannot handle that wrestling. You can’t handle the top five guys in that division. You can fight a couple of guys at 170 but he’s not a welterweight. If he really thinks [he is], try some top five [fighters] in that division. I think it’s not fair. We’d just destroy Conor.”

McGregor may instead be targeting an immediate lightweight title shot.
“If you’re talking about the top five in the world, everybody hits hard except Colby [Covington] but everybody can wrestle,” Burns continued. “Colby can wrestle. Colby and Conor is not fun cause Colby would just outwrestle him. Kamaru [Usman], he can hit hard and he can wrestle. Khamzat [Chimaev], he can hit hard and he can wrestle. Leon Edwards, he can hit very hard, good striking and can wrestle. I hit hard and can wrestle so don’t say you’re a welterweight.”
Burns, 36, knows a thing or two about the top of the welterweight food chain, having battled current champion Kamaru Usman and former titleholder Tyron Woodley. As of this writing, “Durinho” remains unbooked but has been linked to a potential showdown against fellow 170-pound veteran and one-time “BMF” champion Jorge Masvidal, though it may depend on what happens to “Gamebred” at his upcoming trial.

3 Likes
1 Like

Sam Alvey Calls For Young Fighters To Be Themselves

“They just have to be themselves, or find an aspect of themselves and let that shine everybody. I mean every fighter is different. But at the end of the day, every fighter tries to be the same. And it’s they don’t have to they go out and do their own thing. You know certain fighters have found a way,” Alvey told The AllStar.

Sean Strickland has found his way he is as far from Conor McGregor as you can get., but man is he memorable. But you look at Conor came in and he’s the highest grossing UFC athlete of all times by a large margin. And he did it by winning fights but by running his mouth, he won fights because he ran his mouth so well. I think so many other fighters have seen that and they’re just trying to copy him. They’re trying to be the next Conor McGregor instead of the next whoever they are.”

There is no doubt that McGregor ushered in a whole new era of trash-talking that many other fighters have tried to emulate. Alvey feels that this charade is not necessary and that showcasing one’s personality should be the way to go.

Alvey takes on Michał Oleksiejczuk this Saturday at UF Vegas 59 in what could be his farewell fight. He knows this and thinks other ventures such as bare-knuckle boxing or WWE could be suitable options.

1 Like

The champ and the top 4 all murder Conor. Usman, Colby, Khamzat, Leon and Burns all take him down and beat him up badly

1 Like

fixed

4 Likes

Fuck it, put him in there with Usman.

2 Likes

Gilbert has pummeled the correct.

2 Likes

Personally I would love to see Colby vs Conor. The build up and promotion would be incredible

Colby wins 50-44

5 Likes

I don’t know why he’d even flirt with WW. He’s too small.

2 Likes

He wants to be a 200 lb man so bad but he never will be. Pride. He always talking down people smaller than him but he wouldn’t stand out in a lineup of 15 year old boys.

2 Likes

Burns would crawl over broken glass to get a Red panty night from McGregor as would everyone else at 170lbs.

4 Likes

Yeah and they’d all win too

2 Likes

true the muses GIF