Media faces 'Extinction Level Event'

Saagar Enjeti: Media faces 'Extinction Level Event' as Russiagate, #MeToo IMPLODE

Well worth your 12 minutes

1 Like

People are too stupid to hold the media accountable.  They get caught in lie after lie and nothing happens. 

5 Likes

Surely there has got to be someone who can set up a 'true news' media outlet.  Where they prize truth and straighness above all, and champion that as their selling point.  And employ fact checkers and make public their errors and so on.  Surely there is a market for it.

wow wow wowy wowy wow....

rip, mankind

Good clip. He's right. Our media has turned to shit.

It's getting harder to find out the truth.

This opens the door for lies and CT theories.

We are on a dangerous path.

1 Like

blood fist - 

That door has been opened a long time. Multiple 24 hour news channels have to keep the lights on. Unlike a newspaper, you can't just make more ad space on a slow news day. 

Competitors saying mean things about each other or celebrities saying stupid things isn't news. It's filler. 

DaveFu - 
blood fist - 

That door has been opened a long time. Multiple 24 hour news channels have to keep the lights on. Unlike a newspaper, you can't just make more ad space on a slow news day. 

Competitors saying mean things about each other or celebrities saying stupid things isn't news. It's filler. 

The door has been been open to false media for a long time. True.

But now with media sources growing exponentially in number and any accuracy or honesty standards completely gone, we are entering a new age of confusion imo.

I think the deregulation allowing media conglomerates to form and the popularity of counter-cultural right wing media has been ongoing for about 30+ years. Its just reaching a boil becuse for about 20 years, their supported leadership hasn't had to pretend to give two shits about the other side of the aisle. 

1 Like

I believe WGN America is going to launch a nightly news broadcast  in the fall that is going to be without political bias that uses legit sources for their news.

We'll see when it happens

I have a tip. Just stop watching. You know its shit but for what ever reason most people can not just turn it off. I dont think ive watched an actual news cast in 3+ years. Get rid of cable. Get outside, go enjoy life (as much as you can currently) instead of worrying about what politicial team is saying not nice shit about the other politicial team. In time the well dries up and these pos all go away. You know its not really news but you cant turn away from it but want to bitch about it. That makes a whole lot of sense. 

1 Like

baj54 - 

I have a tip. Just stop watching. You know its shit but for what ever reason most people can not just turn it off. I dont think ive watched an actual news cast in 3+ years. Get rid of cable. Get outside, go enjoy life (as much as you can currently) instead of worrying about what politicial team is saying not nice shit about the other politicial team. In time the well dries up and these pos all go away. You know its not really news but you cant turn away from it but want to bitch about it. That makes a whole lot of sense. 

That's a good tip. Just stop watching. It's better than getting caught up in a media world chaos full of lies, opinions, falsities etc.

Unfortunately, UNtruth in media will have a negative effect on society....regardless of whether you personally watch it.

blood fist -
baj54 - 

That's a good tip. Just stop watching. It's better than getting caught up in a media world chaos full of lies, opinions, falsities etc.

Unfortunately, UNtruth in media will have a negative effect on society....regardless of whether you personally watch it.

It’s already divided the country into two teams against eachother. Whats next

4ozToFreedom - 
blood fist -
baj54 - 

It’s already divided the country into two teams against eachother. Whats next

Yes. The degradation of truth in media has worsened the political divide.

I don't want to be a doomer, but if the current media mess continues, or gets worse (likely :( ), we could face a situation where huge numbers of people don't know the truth anymore about a lot of things, imo.

This can go far beyond politics and into science, history, etc... in fact, it already has.

BF, people have been incredibly ignorant for most of human history. We've had the tinfoil hat brigade shouting crazy shit thousands of years before there was tinfoil.

I think the CT threat is minscule compared to the mass media conglomerates trying to form an authoritative oligarchy and only paying lip service to the principles that initially guided them. 

While I feel bad for those that are incapable of it, I have little pity for those unwilling to use critical thinking and adopt the readily offered 30-second binary choices offered. 

The real threat of this rampant anti-intellectuallism is when people tout an appeal to an unassailable authority such as today's flavor "science." and try to shame people by removing the context  and meaning of language. A lot of jews get called Nazis these days. 

DaveFu - 

BF, people have been incredibly ignorant for most of human history. We've had the tinfoil hat brigade shouting crazy shit thousands of years before there was tinfoil.

I think the CT threat is minscule compared to the mass media conglomerates trying to form an authoritative oligarchy and only paying lip service to the principles that initially guided them. 

While I feel bad for those that are incapable of it, I have little pity for those unwilling to use critical thinking and adopt the readily offered 30-second binary choices offered. 

The real threat of this rampant anti-intellectuallism is when people tout an appeal to an unassailable authority such as today's flavor "science." and try to shame people by removing the context  and meaning of language. A lot of jews get called Nazis these days. 

Dave,

I hear what you are saying and agree with you to some extent. There have always been ignorant or misinformed people. Even back in the Walter Cronkite days when the news was the news, there were still lots of people with crazy ideas..or no ideas.

What makes the current media envronment different today is that now, among the countless new media sources all over the web, there are focused groups TRYING to mislead you into their agenda. And they are getting slicker and better at packaging their lies.

This is different than before. People don't go to University libraries anymore to check facts. They go to youtube or FB or some site with NO credentials.

Many will believe almost anything they see on any video that looks half way believable.

We see that right here on the OG.

1 Like

The media is supported by the elite so they will not go out of business.  It is their propaganda mouthpiece and they dont care if it loses money

Journalism is all but dead. Every legit "news" source has a spin or slant on it. The news wasn't on 24 hours a day for a long time. I agree that we have a relatively new problem of filtering excessive choice in information. I just disagree that most people have the opportuinity to reach a worldwide audience in minutes is a bad thing. I think the positives vastly outweigh the negatives. 

You keep claiming that  people need to be credentialed. Who do you trust to be the arbiter of truth? The Pope, the President, the UN, the boy scouts, Joe Pesci, Google? Everybody listed has an agenda and demonstrably presents information in the most self-serving light. 

Everyone "knows" that people will only cooperate with you they if believe it benefits them somehow especially with commerce. Not believing that is self-deception. Believing you're an expert on something because you saw a video or videos from a reported "expert." is self-deception. No other person can force someone to stop lying to themselves. The smartest people are the ones who tend to be the most honest and comfortable with their ignorance. 

Tim Duncan - 

The media is supported by the elite so they will not go out of business.  It is their propaganda mouthpiece and they dont care if it loses money

Corporations have no problem using other industries as loss leaders because they can afford to. Who cares if a show lost a few hundred thousand viewers and a little ad revenue if you just used it as an informercial for your next billion dollar movie. How many national chains make money at their Times Square locations? Or maybe they're just glorified billboards since Times Square is one of the most filmed and visited locations in the world. 

Good. F@ck 'em.

Enemy of the People.