Mel Gibson's Wife Going to Hell

What the...?!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4224452/

By Jeannette Walls with Ashley Pearson, MSNBC

Updated: 2:38 a.m. ET Feb. 10, 2004Mel Gibson has come under fire for being hard on Jews in his film The Passion of the Christ but apparently, he feels that Protestants are also doomed to damnation. In fact, it looks like Gibson, a conservative Catholic, believes that his Episcopalian wife could be going to hell.

Gibson was interviewed by the Herald Sun in Australia, and the reporter asked the star if Protestants are denied eternal salvation. There is no salvation for those outside the Church, Gibson replied. I believe it.

He elaborated: Put it this way. My wife is a saint. Shes a much better person than I am. Honestly. Shes, like, Episcopalian, Church of England. She prays, she believes in God, she knows Jesus, she believes in that stuff. And its just not fair if she doesnt make it, shes better than I am. But that is a pronouncement from the chair. I go with it.

Gibson also said in the interview that he was nearly suicidal before he made his controversial film. I got to a very desperate place. Very desperate. Kind of jump-out-of-a-window kind of desperate, he said in the interview. And I didnt want to hang around here, but I didnt want to check out. The other side was kind of scary. And I dont like heights, anyway. But when you get to that point where you dont want to live, and you dont want to die, its a desperate, horrible place to be. And I just hit my knees. And I had to use The Passion of the Christ to heal my wounds.

Gibsons rep wasnt available for comment.

does anyone have the original article from that Austrailian newspaper?

There is no salvation for those outside the Church, Gibson replied.

That's a pretty standard Catholic belief.

what he doesn't get into, is what consistutes the church. is it the catholic church only? Or outside of the catholic church are people saved? Most of the catholics Ive talked with def think that baptists, methodists, reformed churches, etc, all have people who are saved in them.

I agree with JoshuaB.

The bible defines the church as all those who believe in Jesus Christ.

Furthermore Jesus KNOWS those who believe in Him and those who don't.

no, i think that is santa's M.O.

TV [news] wouldn't lie!

- Homer J. Simpson

Old style Catholics believed just the Catholic Church (I grew up in a Latin, old style Catholic Church). The American catholic church is much more liberal and pretty much believes if you believe in "God" you are going to heaven.

Whew. Thank Goodness I don't believe in this stuff. Saves a lot of anguish :-)

Prof.

I do believe that bludhall has something correct there though, but I never thought about it like that before....lol

My pastor often warns us to beware our concept of a Santa Claus God. That's a simple little box we try to put him in.

BTW, I'm at Herald Sun right now and haven't yet found the story. Not saying Mel's comments aren't true, just that this is kind of a gossipy rag. There's a Times of London story verifying it but I can't get to it because it's a subscription site.

Bludhall,

Good point. There's a lot to be said about having something palpable to see and touch to bolster faith (Santa). No doubt this explains the presence of physical idols and symbols in religion (Christ painting, figurines, crosses, sculptures of Christ/Mary etc....despite warnings against idolotry in the Bible).

It reminds me of the dilemma in Puzzled's "Losing my religion" post. I've seen several Christian friends go through similar distressing periods, and have read of many, many others on-line.

My view is that such religious distress/ennui/disillusionment is at least partially tied to the fatigue of trying to support strong belief in a non-existent being. It's tough to continually want to get closer to, or have deeper experiences of something that doesn't exist. So one keeps reaching, hoping, taxing the imagination of the mind until sometimes the mind says "I'm fatigued...there ain't nuthin' here." Given that most Theists would refuse to acknowledge such a conclusion they lay the blame on themselves and go through periods of religious fatigue and disillusionment. (In Puzzled's case he wishes to blame the institution of religion for his fatigue).

Naughty words for a Theistic forum, I know. But them's my view.

(Funny thing is on another Secular forum I'm busy defending Theistic Faith against the criticisms of Atheists).

Prof.

i don't agree with you prof but your posts are educated and well written.... :)

I know a very conservative Catholic who said that "Purgatory is not just for Catholics" and that was their official church teachings. From what I understand, people in Purgatory (according to the catholics) are being "purged" of their sins before they can meet God in heaven. Meaning, people in purgatory are NOT going to hell. so if protestants and all other assorted non-catholics can get to heaven, wouldn't that make Gibson wrong? Any Catholics want to weigh in on what is the official stance?

i would still like confirmation on if that article theat MSN News quoted....

Gibson's dad is even more of a wild man than he is. He's hardcore anti-semetic and a revisionist, I believe.

prof: My view is that such religious distress/ennui/disillusionment is at least partially tied to the fatigue of trying to support strong belief in a non-existent being. It's tough to continually want to get closer to, or have deeper experiences of something that doesn't exist.

me: ha, you assume to much my friend. You cannot prove that God doesn't exist and yet you state that as if it's a given. Puzzled clearly articulated a fatigue with religious institutions and traditions not with the experience of communing with the Living God.

You know, I have received the gift of God's Spirit so I do know that God exists. I know that you could attempt to come up with all kind of explanations as to what my experience "really may have been". I always find that odd. Someone telling me what I received who has never received it!?!? It's like running into a barbed wire fence and 10 years later, people telling you it didn't happen.

Rooster,

I know bud. I was just giving my opinion. You know me :-)

It's been my argument that Religion is a human inspired delusion, which explains the facts of Religious experience far better than the argument that Gods are real (or that the uncountable number of Supernatural forces that humans have dreamed up are real).

I understand how obnoxious that sounds to believers, I really do: some jerk on the internet presuming to call your religious experience invalid - an illusion. You may as well try and tell me I don't really have a son, without ever having met me.

I'm not sayig people's religious experience isn't true. I can't prove they aren't. I simply find another hypothesis more likely and convincing.

But while my views may be somewhat obnoxious to some here, I think I'm being nicer than many Christians have been to me regarding my beliefs. Over the years I've been called "egotistical" (simply for "not putting God first"), "blind," "foolish," "damned to Hell," "doing Satan's work" "ignorant" "stupid" "a blind follower of Evolutionism/Scientism (sic)" etc.

On any forums inhabited by Christians (including some secular on-line forums) my views are attacked constantly, and often in a superior, derisive tone which clearly says: "What a moron, oh well, enjoy your stay in Hell."

People on this forum aren't like that, which I really appreciate. And of course my Christian friends aren't like that either...well, with the exception of one or two anyway :-)

I've been there before too. I've had quite a few beliefs of mine that I wished to hang on to challenged by the same arguments I give here. (And I still have subjective experiences that are challenged by other objectivists).

Bottom line, I'm not out to harm anyone's feelings when I present my arguments.

Prof.

My mother's parents (and that whole side of my family) believe 100% that if you are not Catholic then you are going to Hell.They are from a town called Schapen in Niedersachsen,Germany.Niedersachsen (a German state in the North/West of the country,near the Netherlands [Niederlande])is very catholic.My father comes from a long line of Mennonites (in fact,the same group that includes the Eisenhower family).Not exactly two groups that see eye to eye.God certainly works in mysterious ways.