Melendez v Thomson confirmed for June

Gilbert Melendez will defend his Strikeforce LW belt against Josh "The Punk" Thomson June 27th. This fight was suppose to happen last month at the Cung/Frank fight but Josh had to pull out with an injury.

Who is going take it?

Sweet =)

awesome fight.

I think Gil takes it, but it will for sure be very competitive and may go 5 rounds...Winner of this fight should fight winner of Yves Edwards v. KJ Noons to unite those titles.  that would be nice.

Gilbert`s coming off of a his first loss,and I see him winning this one.Both have trained together,but it will interesting.Melendez by G-n-P in a unanimous decision.

DW - I think Gil takes it, but it will for sure be very competitive and may go 5 rounds...Winner of this fight should fight winner of Yves Edwards v. KJ Noons to unite those titles.  that would be nice.

Those belts are for different orgs. Gil/Josh is Strikeforce and Yves/KJ are with EliteXc. Especially with both orgs now having tv contracts that won't let a fighter appear on the other, you won't see that unless one of the orgs folds or the guys walk.

5 round fights are tailor made for a Melendez type fighter, that guy juts keeps on keeps on coming every single second of the fight, has an outstanding gas tank and is always on the offensive.

Melendez takes it with a tko in the 4th or 5th via, pushing the pace continually for the entire match, weakening Thompson down and finishing with GnP.

should be a great fight

Gil takes it in a fight that looks like a repeat of Guida vs. Josh