Mendes, tell me about this fighter….

Molumba - Conor has a huge reach advantage and the theory is that Mendes will somehow overcome this by wrestling Conor (who is much bigger) and pounding him out.

The more likely scenario however is that Conor will prove himself adept enough at wrestling to make this a stand up fight. If he can do that. He is vastly superior to Mendes when it comes to striking and should win easily.

So really this whole fight is about 1 question. Can Conor wrestle or not?

My opinion is that someone as dedicated to the sport as him would not leave a big hole in his game. Any grappling in the UFC he has done he has dominated. His BJJ skills are slick. We have not yet seen him off his back, but he trains daily with Gunnar Nelson who is top 3 BJJ in the UFC. His head coach and mentor is predominantly a BJJ coach - having become the first Irishman to earn a BJJ black belt. He has had a star wrestling coach for 8 years in Sergey Pikulskiy.

http://www.the42.ie/conor-mcgregors-wrestling-coach-on-mendes-2191125-Jul2015/

Basically Americans think the rest of the world can't wrestle. Conor is Irish. They haven't seen him wrestle. Therefore a wrestler will kill him. That's the logic.

It's either right or wrong.

I've put big money on Conor. They are wrong. Phone Post 3.0
I'm a massive Gunnar Nelson fan, but top 3 in BJJ in the UFC?
That's a big claim.
Who are the other two? Phone Post 3.0

Needlemover -
Molumba - Conor has a huge reach advantage and the theory is that Mendes will somehow overcome this by wrestling Conor (who is much bigger) and pounding him out.

The more likely scenario however is that Conor will prove himself adept enough at wrestling to make this a stand up fight. If he can do that. He is vastly superior to Mendes when it comes to striking and should win easily.

My opinion is that someone as dedicated to the sport as him would not leave a big hole in his game. Any grappling in the UFC he has done he has dominated. His BJJ skills are slick. We have not yet seen him off his back, but he trains daily with Gunnar Nelson who is top 3 BJJ in the UFC. His head coach and mentor is predominantly a BJJ coach - having become the first Irishman to earn a BJJ black belt. He has had a star wrestling coach for 8 years in Sergey Pikulskiy.

Basically Americans think the rest of the world can't wrestle. Conor is Irish. They haven't seen him wrestle. Therefore a wrestler will kill him. That's the logic.

I'm a massive Gunnar Nelson fan, but top 3 in BJJ in the UFC?
That's a big claim.
Who are the other two? Phone Post 3.0
I'd go Werdum / Jacare / Nelson Phone Post 3.0

Travis Lutter is the Michael Jordan of bjj, as such he is 1., 2., 3. In bjj in the UFC and he doesn't even fight there anymore.

Mendes is a monster standing and on the ground. He KOs FW like a HW.
I really think that stylistic wise, Aldo was a better fit for Mc Gregor. Phone Post 3.0

CM vs CM is gonna be a good fight!

GrindOnLine - Mendes is a monster standing and on the ground. He KOs FW like a HW.
I really think that stylistic wise, Aldo was a better fit for Mc Gregor. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks man, this may be intriguing.

NCAA champ from Alpha Male. 2X title challenger who lost to Aldo twice. Great wrestling and mad power. Would get creamed by CM Punk.

Hes 3 inches shorter with a 8 inch reach disadvantage. Imagine the distance he has to cover to shoot in or even land a overhand right. Thats going to cost him alot of energy. Not to mention the distance conner keeps. I just dont see him getting in on conner often enough for his wrestling to mattee. Phone Post 3.0

BigDaddy15 - NCAA champ from Alpha Male. 2X title challenger who lost to Aldo twice. Great wrestling and mad power. Would get creamed by CM Punk.

Good info.

I did not know he was an NC 2 A champ. Got to be tough as nails, and have grit.

williepep -
BigDaddy15 - NCAA champ from Alpha Male. 2X title challenger who lost to Aldo twice. Great wrestling and mad power. Would get creamed by CM Punk.

Good info.

I did not know he was an NC 2 A champ. Got to be tough as nails, and have grit.

He was runner-up not champ. Not that it's a big difference Phone Post 3.0

Aside from great strenght, wrestling and big power, he's fast. His boxing is not as smooth as Conner's but his takedowns are a great equelizer. I think the key is when he takes Conner down can he do serious damage or get a sub. I think he will.

Molumba - Conor has a huge reach advantage and the theory is that Mendes will somehow overcome this by wrestling Conor (who is much bigger) and pounding him out.

I think Werdum, Jacare and Maia might have something to say about that Top 3 BJJ, esp since all have fought at the elite levels of MMA and Gunnar has not yet.

Every single semi-decent pro MMA camp for a long period now has coaches with good backgrounds in the main areas.

The logic about Connors' wrestling or primarily take down defense is more like "since we havent seen it, and since he's been intentionally kept away from wrestlers that will test it, its still a question mark." Yes, he has shown some good tds himself against Holloway and Brandao but neither are wrestlers and neither are high level wrestlers. So the question is a legitimate one. He could still prove us wrong. He is tall, long, fights long, athletic and has a great sense of distance and much taller and longer than Mendes so he has many factors that could have him defend the tds. The bottom line however is that its not controversial to question what has not been (intentionally) tested.

williepep -
superninjadragonkiller - Wow really... Phone Post 3.0

Sorry this is so surprising, if you don't know that much about the fight game there is no reason to poke fun of a poster seeking information.
Got me there. Just a green name with 10+ years BJJ experience. My apologies Phone Post 3.0

dhughes - I've not followed him very closely either, OP. There should be no shame in asking this kind of question here.

Thanks.

Hopefully you are also getting a bit filled in by some of the information in the thread.

The ufc has put a couple of his fights up on youtube for free
also he took aldo further than anyone has in their previous fight that had all sorts of shenanigans going on in it late blows nut shots and eye pokes as well as one hell of a striking performance from both guys
i think he'll beat connor and i do't mind that i could watch another 7 fights between him and aldo

trollololololololol,olol,lol,lololololololololol

ChaosOverkill - 

trollololololololol,olol,lol,lololololololololol

9 times out of 10 you would have me.

But on this one, I just wanted to know.

Blame it on market saturation by the UFC, or laziness on my part.

All I can tell you is the result, the result that I have just never noticed and or payed attention to this guy.

Gunnar is not top 3 in bjj and Connor is not more likely to show he is adept at wrestling.

Just to make 3 off the cuff.

Jacare, werdum, and maia are all better. Phone Post 3.0

KingMeNow - Hes 3 inches shorter with a 8 inch reach disadvantage. Imagine the distance he has to cover to shoot in or even land a overhand right. Thats going to cost him alot of energy. Not to mention the distance conner keeps. I just dont see him getting in on conner often enough for his wrestling to mattee. Phone Post 3.0
Did you ever wrestle? It's not that big of a deal. Siver got in on his legs a few times he couldn't finish but if he can get past the reach Chad can. People are acting like Siver, and porier could strike with chad. They can't not at 145 at least. Chad has no issue with longer guys. Aldos biggest weapon against chad was his take down defense. Connor may be better than aldo somewhere it wasn't going to be physical strength and wrestling.

Chad just has to not get comfortable in Connors range of he keeps Connor in boxing range he will be fine. Phone Post 3.0

Think Sean Sherk, Joe Daddy or Gray Maynard. He's that kind of guy. Powerful wrestler, kind of short and stubby, very strong, good conditioning, throws heavy punches. Beats everyone but the very best.

Is Conor the very best?

It'll be fun watching.