Mendes, tell me about this fighter….

Count me in as somebody who knows absolutely nothing about Mendes. Even after seeing his picture, it still didn't really ring any bells. I guess this is what happens when you fast forward thru pretty much every card.

Though if he fought Aldo twice, I most definitely have seen him fight. Obviously he didn't make much of an impression. Phone Post 3.0

Mendes is a very good fighter he's fast, strong, has ko power and is a great wrestler. If he doesn't give McGregor the room he is used to he has a great chance of winning. Pressure him and don't let him get into rhythm early. Phone Post 3.0

Typical Team Mini Male fighter

Mind = Mendes
Heart = Conor

Mendes is tough, great endurance, quick, good power and great wrestling. I see him giving Conor tons of issues, but the 9" reach advantage is what I'm curious about Phone Post 3.0

Ya someone care to list the opponents chad faced to get to the title? Lmao and they talk about Connor title shot smh Phone Post 3.0

williepep - 
kyleburkle - 

Mendes has actually evolved into a striker, his hands looked good, i think he mite take connor

Thanks for the input.

I do think a lot of what Connor does is hard to quantify and measure.

But this sounds interesting.

Of course it's hard to quantify and measure someone that's never really had any a and b level fights. This is like asking how your son's state ranked high school football team will do against thee Super Bowl runner ups. I mean, you can't remember watching any NFL but your kids football is really dominant in their prep league.

Molumba - Conor has a huge reach advantage and the theory is that Mendes will somehow overcome this by wrestling Conor (who is much bigger) and pounding him out.

The more likely scenario however is that Conor will prove himself adept enough at wrestling to make this a stand up fight. If he can do that. He is vastly superior to Mendes when it comes to striking and should win easily.

So really this whole fight is about 1 question. Can Conor wrestle or not?

My opinion is that someone as dedicated to the sport as him would not leave a big hole in his game. Any grappling in the UFC he has done he has dominated. His BJJ skills are slick. We have not yet seen him off his back, but he trains daily with Gunnar Nelson who is top 3 BJJ in the UFC. His head coach and mentor is predominantly a BJJ coach - having become the first Irishman to earn a BJJ black belt. He has had a star wrestling coach for 8 years in Sergey Pikulskiy.

http://www.the42.ie/conor-mcgregors-wrestling-coach-on-mendes-2191125-Jul2015/

Basically Americans think the rest of the world can't wrestle. Conor is Irish. They haven't seen him wrestle. Therefore a wrestler will kill him. That's the logic.

It's either right or wrong.

I've put big money on Conor. They are wrong. Phone Post 3.0

Gunnars wrestling looked like shit against Rick Story. He got like 1 takedown but Story got right back up, Gunnar also got dropped and rocked. So whatever they are doing at SBG is obviously not turning them all into NCAA super wrestlers

The only top european fighters who ever developed high level MMA wrestling either went to the US (Gus) or brought in US sparring partners (Bisping)

But yeah of course, Conor is magically developing these high level wrestling skills in Ireland. That and doing his balance exercises

Mendes fought Cody McKenzie last year.

Bobby Lupo - Mendes fought Cody McKenzie last year.

Brutal KO Phone Post 3.0

Bobby Lupo - Typical Team Mini Male fighter

First Mr Lupo I want to thank you for teaching me the proper name, and different phases of the Brooklyn Fade.

I must admit I often find this group's fighters to be a little boring.

^^^ Something just seems odd about that picture.

Mendes is a problem for anyone not named Edgar, Aldo or McGregor. Mendes has power, speed and great wrestling but lacks diversity in his combinations and doesnt exactly have the longest arms in his division, I honestly think that Ronda Rousey has identical reach to Chad, nit even being funny. His heart can't be questioned but his chin can. Aldo has lacked the killer instinct in recent fights that McGregor currently possesses. That fight with Aldo was grueling and Mendes isn't exactly hard to hit especially since he fights more emotionally charged in big moment fights.

Chad could win but his lack of prep for Conor plays into Conor's hands, causing Chad to fight more off instinct than actual fight camp preparation. Height and reach play a huge part. If Chad is every bit of 5'6" and Conor is every bit of 5'9", then height won't mean much. But an 8 inch reach advantage for a man who is laying waste to very talented men, if you are in the UFC, you are elite in my book. The reach and his multifaceted array of attacks in different forms of martial arts are what make him the uncrowded champ.

His massive belief in himself, team, training and his approach to fighting keeps himself in an almost GSP like mindset when it comes to winning and approaching mixed martial arts.

You picked the right fight to be interested in. Conor wins impressively but Chad's stock just goes up because of his willingness to take the fight on short notice and gets Frankie after he loses to Conor.

Molumba - Conor has a huge reach advantage and the theory is that Mendes will somehow overcome this by wrestling Conor (who is much bigger) and pounding him out.

The more likely scenario however is that Conor will prove himself adept enough at wrestling to make this a stand up fight. If he can do that. He is vastly superior to Mendes when it comes to striking and should win easily.

My opinion is that someone as dedicated to the sport as him would not leave a big hole in his game. Any grappling in the UFC he has done he has dominated. His BJJ skills are slick. We have not yet seen him off his back, but he trains daily with Gunnar Nelson who is top 3 BJJ in the UFC. His head coach and mentor is predominantly a BJJ coach - having become the first Irishman to earn a BJJ black belt. He has had a star wrestling coach for 8 years in Sergey Pikulskiy.

Basically Americans think the rest of the world can't wrestle. Conor is Irish. They haven't seen him wrestle. Therefore a wrestler will kill him. That's the logic.

VTFU for your 34th post, I dont completely agree with everything you said but a solid breakdown none the less fren

WARcabrinha15 - Mendes is a problem for anyone not named Edgar, Aldo or McGregor. Mendes has power, speed and great wrestling but lacks diversity in his combinations and doesnt exactly have the longest arms in his division, I honestly think that Ronda Rousey has identical reach to Chad, nit even being funny. His heart can't be questioned but his chin can. Aldo has lacked the killer instinct in recent fights that McGregor currently possesses. That fight with Aldo was grueling and Mendes isn't exactly hard to hit especially since he fights more emotionally charged in big moment fights.

Chad could win but his lack of prep for Conor plays into Conor's hands, causing Chad to fight more off instinct than actual fight camp preparation. Height and reach play a huge part. If Chad is every bit of 5'6" and Conor is every bit of 5'9", then height won't mean much. But an 8 inch reach advantage for a man who is laying waste to very talented men, if you are in the UFC, you are elite in my book. The reach and his multifaceted array of attacks in different forms of martial arts are what make him the uncrowded champ.

His massive belief in himself, team, training and his approach to fighting keeps himself in an almost GSP like mindset when it comes to winning and approaching mixed martial arts.

You picked the right fight to be interested in. Conor wins impressively but Chad's stock just goes up because of his willingness to take the fight on short notice and gets Frankie after he loses to Conor.

Thanks for the input and balanced approach.

Do keep in mind, I have seen CM fight, and have paid attention to him. It is just Mendes that I do not recall for some reason.

Let me repeat, I know from experience if you will that Conor generates crazy power in those hands.

He is a total beast. Not sure how anything less describes him. Do not see him losing to Connor. Phone Post 3.0

Also he's shown significant striking improvement. Look at the difference between his fights with aldo
In the first fight he chased takedowns until he got his faced kneed into orbit
In the second fight he showed seriouis striking savy. he used faked takedowns to land seriously hard uppercuts as well as a nice counter left hook. If you are saying that all he has is an overhand right and a double leg you are misinformed

Molumba - 
Needlemover -
Molumba - Conor has a huge reach advantage and the theory is that Mendes will somehow overcome this by wrestling Conor (who is much bigger) and pounding him out.

I'm a massive Gunnar Nelson fan, but top 3 in BJJ in the UFC?
That's a big claim.
Who are the other two? Phone Post 3.0
I'd go Werdum / Jacare / Nelson Phone Post 3.0

Lol wtf. That's all I need to know about you. Let me see how this ignore button works

Molumba - Conor has a huge reach advantage and the theory is that Mendes will somehow overcome this by wrestling Conor (who is much bigger) and pounding him out.

He got taken down by Dennis Siver Phone Post 3.0

superninjadragonkiller -
williepep -
superninjadragonkiller - Wow really... Phone Post 3.0

Sorry this is so surprising, if you don't know that much about the fight game there is no reason to poke fun of a poster seeking information.
Got me there. Just a green name with 10+ years BJJ experience. My apologies Phone Post 3.0
Dude, the guys asking an honest question without any attitude, admitting that he's a novice. Why you hating on him? If you're a black belt 10 years, aren't you used to spreading knowledge to people who are seeking information. Or are you the dude on the gym who makes fun of white belts for making rudimental mistakes? I'm not being a dickhead, I just don't like how the UG has been getting snarky on guys who are trying to get into the sport Phone Post 3.0

matt_the_kiwi -

He got taken down by Dennis Siver Phone Post 3.0
No, he didn't.

How many times does this have to be addressed ?

Stop rehashing this fallacy. Phone Post 3.0