Merle Travis or Chet Atkins?

For you country music fans, who was a better guitarist -  Merle Travis or Chet Atkins?

I have an opinion, but I want to hear what the crowd has to say. 

Chet for me

Gotta go with Chet Atkins

Chet

Chet 

Merle

without Merle there is no chet. chet tried to copy merle.

While there were a 100s of blues guys doing it before merle, its still called "TRAVIS picking"

Chet for me.  

Ike everly, father of the everly brothers, taught merle guitar as a teenager.

Got to go with Chet myself. I was watching youtube videos and he was just amazing.

Merle, all the way.  I prefer his heavier thumb to Chet's precision.  Merle's had more oomph and guts.

Write in Jerry Reed, Roy Clark and Glen Campbell. 

Roy Clark doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves. He played an insane number of instruments at maestro-level.

whaledog - 

Merle, all the way.  I prefer his heavier thumb to Chet's precision.  Merle's had more oomph and guts.

Merle made two fingers sound like five, but Chet make five fingers sound like 20.

Chet may be the greatest ever in that  st_yle.   He was sweep picking before Yngwie. 

angryinch -

Chet may be the greatest ever in that  st_yle.   He was sweep picking before Yngwie. 

In my opinion, what Chet was to Merle, Tommy Emmanuel is to Chet.

Tommy has taken Chet’s to a whole new level. 

Gonna go with Chet. He recorded a far more diverse array of tunes and was one of the top producers in Nashville at the time. There are some early recordings of him doing a pretty good Django too. 

phydeau - Roy Clark doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves. He played an insane number of instruments at maestro-level.

actually EVERYONE gives Roy shit tons of credit.

A guy who doesnt get the wide spread love he should is Hank Garland

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. - 
phydeau - Roy Clark doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves. He played an insane number of instruments at maestro-level.

You're probably right, 'cause I've never heard of him.

phydeau -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. - 

You're probably right, 'cause I've never heard of him.

you can watch the whole thing, but here's the end. If you never heard of him, you've never heard of "hee haw". It was only on TV for THIRTY years. you prob never heard of the TV show "the odd couple" either