Metamoris 5 – The Good and the Bad

3 bad things about Metamoris 5

1. Annoying commentary

Jeff Glover and Kit Dale trading cheapshots during the matches was annoying and unprofessional. Jeff started taunting Kit by saying “tapped out in 30 seconds” and Kit coming back saying that Jeff has an IQ of 31. A match between the 2 might be good idea for the next Metamoris. Kenny was smooth and informative as usual.

2. Lack of submissions

Only 1 out of the 6 fights ended with a submission. Perhaps 20 minutes is just not enough time.

3. Too much no-gi

Only 1 out of the 6 fights were in the gi. Hopefully this won’t be a trend in up-coming Metamoris shows as sweaty bodies make submissions less likely. Keenan and Yuri had a very entertaining gi-match and showed everyone the beauty of gi Jiu Jitsu.

3 good things about Metamoris 5

1. Action-packed fights

Besides a bit of stand-up stalemate between Vinny and Matheus there was minimal stalling and getting stuck in 50-50 guards which is often seen in other competitions. The fights were all entertaining with great techniques displayed.

2. Good matchups

4 out of the 6 fights could be labelled as MMA vs BJJ matchups. Interesting that Metamoris have been going with this formula. I think the concept of ‘style vs style’ makes for entertaining fights and could increase popularity for Metamoris.

3. JT all over Rory Macdonald

Despite the 25 pound disadvantage, JT Torres dominated the majority of the match showing that technique triumphs over strength.
- See more at: http://bjjchecklist.com/metamoris-5-the-good-and-the-bad#sthash.ygWPdOFG.dpuf

Should be 50% gi/ 50% no gi

They should get some judo, catch, sambo etc guys in bring in a wider audience Phone Post 3.0

So the formula for increasing viewer interest is longer gi matches? I would have to disagree.

Stop asking for more gi.

The Gi/NoGi should be based on the matches.  The MMA guys wont put on a gi.  

One thing I was super annoyed by was the Instant Replay.  They used this graphic effect where the replay would show and the INSTANT REPLAY box would pop up.  Well that graphic took like 5 seconds to complete and you ended up missing a lot of the match that was currently happening.  Don't put that graphic in the middle of the screen.  If you want to use a swipe effect, take it to the top left corner so we can continue watching the match.  

People complain a lot about modern BJJ with 50/50 guard and double pulling guard being boring. The close guard that Vinny did was just as boring. While I'm a huge fan of Renzo, he did the same thing.

The most exciting match was between Keenan and Yuri in a gi, so yes, please more gi matches. It seems like the strong/bigger guy had the advantage in no-gi, where strength, sweat and explosiveness helped them out a lot, no technique.

Those instant replays were the worst for me. They have to do something about the stalling as well. Phone Post 3.0

While I think I'm saying the obvious thing, I'm glad Rickson agrees with me.

“If there’s no penalty for stalling, fighters will find a way to control the match and the time, looking for a comfort zone,” Gracie said. “It makes it exactly like a modern jiu-jitsu fight, but longer. It’s the same boring match, but lasting longer."

http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/blog/rickson-gracie-on-metamoris-if-you-dont-fight-the-way-people-expect-you-to-go-home/

Instant replays were annoying. Final event should be no time limit Phone Post 3.0

killer2005 - People complain a lot about modern BJJ with 50/50 guard and double pulling guard being boring. The close guard that Vinny did was just as boring. While I'm a huge fan of Renzo, he did the same thing.

The most exciting match was between Keenan and Yuri in a gi, so yes, please more gi matches. It seems like the strong/bigger guy had the advantage in no-gi, where strength, sweat and explosiveness helped them out a lot, no technique.

I think the Gary Tonon match was just as, if not more, exciting.

If the bigger and stronger guy always had the advantage in gi, how did JT do so well?

I love seeing how mma guys go against grapplers.

Be awesome to see more of that.

Franky Edgar vs ...
??? Phone Post 3.0

Shorter matches

Bonus for submission Phone Post 3.0

misterw - 
killer2005 - People complain a lot about modern BJJ with 50/50 guard and double pulling guard being boring. The close guard that Vinny did was just as boring. While I'm a huge fan of Renzo, he did the same thing.

If the bigger and stronger guy always had the advantage in gi, how did JT do so well?

The Max/Gary match was exciting and both guys were close in weight which is why no one had the advantage other than skill.

For the JT/Rory, that was my exact point. Rory slipped out several times from submissions and muscled his way out, advantage Rory in weight/size.

killer2005 - 
misterw - 

The Max/Gary match was exciting and both guys were close in weight which is why no one had the advantage other than skill.

For the JT/Rory, that was my exact point. Rory slipped out several times from submissions and muscled his way out, advantage Rory in weight/size.

Weight only matters when bjj guys lose...but otherwise it's "Only technique matters, not weight" to sell memberships!

The truth has spoken

agree w everyting but I like commentary and dont agree that the event was action packed. 

NEXTLEVELBJJ - Those instant replays were the worst for me. They have to do something about the stalling as well. Phone Post 3.0

yep

The MMA vs. BJJ matches are getting old. Definitely get some other grappling arts in there. Sonnen vs. Galvao has been the best one yet, and that's not saying much. Paul Harris needs an invite, non stop aggression. Lots of talented grapples out there to pick from.

Agree on the commentary.  Dale and Glover trading gay jokes was pretty lame.  Not at all entertaining.  Like Kenny's commentary, as I usually do.