Mexico president federal takeover of local police

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/enough-is-enough-mexicos-president-announces-federal-takeover-of-local-police-forces/

--

Is it just me or the US should do the same with problematic police departments across the country?

--

Mexico’s embattled president unveiled sweeping reforms Thursday to dissolve corruption-plagued municipal police forces nationwide amid an outcry over the role of gang-affiliated authorities in the presumed slaughter of 43 students.

More carnage hit Mexico hours before President Enrique Peña Nieto’s announcement, with the discovery of 11 beheaded bodies in the troubled southern state of Guerrero — the same region where the students were attacked in September.

“Enough is enough,” Peña Nieto said, acknowledging the anger of Mexicans who have joined a wave of protests over a case that has highlighted the country’s struggle with police corruption.

“Mexico must change,” he said in a speech at the National Palace before congressmen, governors and civil society groups.

Peña Nieto said he would send a set of constitutional reforms to Congress on Monday that would allow federal authorities to take over municipalities infiltrated by drug cartels.

He said the measures also include the dissolution of the country’s 1,800 municipal police forces, “which can easily be corrupted by criminals.”

Police duties would be taken over by state agencies in each of the 31 states and the federal district.
The overhaul would begin in four of the country’s most violent states: Tamaulipas, Jalisco, Michoacan and Guerrero.

It was in the Guerrero city of Iguala where the 43 students vanished on September 26 after they were attacked by local police.

Prosecutors say Iguala’s mayor ordered his police force to confront a group of students over fears they would disrupt a speech by his wife.

Guerreros Unidos gang henchmen confessed to killing the students and incinerating their bodies after officers turned them over.

- New massacre -

In the latest massacre, 11 bodies were found Thursday on a road near the Guerrero town of Chilapa following reports of a shootout, state and municipal officials said.

“In addition to being executed, the 11 people were decapitated and subsequently some were burned,” said a state government official who requested anonymity.

A note was left near the bodies with a message addressed to the criminal group “Los Ardillos” (The Squirrels), with the words “Here’s your trash,” the official said.

A state police officer said the bodies had high-caliber bullet wounds. The victims appeared to be in their 20s.
Chilapa is 40 kilometers (25 miles) east of Ayotzinapa, where the teacher-training college of the 43 students is located.

Pena Nieto announced that he would ramp up the presence of federal forces in a gang-plagued region known as Tierra Caliente (Hot Land), which straddles Guerrero and Michoacan, as well as Jalisco and Tamaulipas.

- ‘Trust tests’ -

Peña Nieto is not the first Mexican president to seek to reform the police.

Some 400,000 active federal, state and municipal police forces across the country have undergone anti-corruption exams with polygraph tests — a system that began under his predecessor, Felipe Calderon.

The interior ministry said this month that 13 percent of municipal officers failed the exam, compared to 10 percent of state and six percent of federal forces.

The non-governmental organization Common Cause said this week that 42,214 federal, state and municipal police staff are still working despite failing the “control de confianza” (trust test).

When he took office in December 2012, Peña Nieto vowed to reduce the everyday violence plaguing the country.

But he maintained the controversial militarized strategy of Calderon, who deployed 50,000 troops against the drug cartels in 2006.

Peña Nieto launched a crime prevention program, which officials acknowledge will take years to show results, and created a 5,000-strong militarized police force, the gendarmerie.

In an editorial, the national daily El Universal noted that past governments launched anti-crime measures in response to public discontent, with some positive results.

“But the depth of the problem is so large that these actions have not changed an indisputable fact in the perception of people, that crime continues to grow,” it said.

“This time, the State’s response will have to be stronger.”

No last thing we need is the federal gov sticking their nose in anything else. Every time they to they make matters way fucking worse. Phone Post 3.0

Hired Gun - No last thing we need is the federal gov sticking their nose in anything else. Every time they to they make matters way fucking worse. Phone Post 3.0

But what else can be done with those corrupt PDs?

They regulate themselves and hand out their own punishments... what's the solution?

LOL.

Pena Nieto is the TARGET of the protests.  Students and Mexico's middle class want him gone.  He's like a less-intelligent version of Schwarzenegger.  Acting like he's suddenly outraged is fucking hilarious.  Pena Nieto was the cartels' man in the last Mexican presidential election.  The only viable alternative (Mexico's former Secretary of State) "mysteriously" died in a helicopter crash at the beginning of the campaign.

This is such a joke.  Federal and state police are just as corrupt, and in some cases more than, local police.

Hired Gun - No last thing we need is the federal gov sticking their nose in anything else. Every time they to they make matters way fucking worse. Phone Post 3.0
Agree Phone Post 3.0

Cookie Monster - 
Hired Gun - No last thing we need is the federal gov sticking their nose in anything else. Every time they to they make matters way fucking worse. Phone Post 3.0
Agree Phone Post 3.0

So, status quo?

We have done it the past, it's called a Federal Consent Decree. The most recent example that comes to mind (iirc) was against the LAPD after Rampart.

The Adversary - We have done it the past, it's called a Federal Consent Decree. The most recent example that comes to mind (iirc) was against the LAPD after Rampart.

Ahh, you are referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal

--

Many city officials, including Los Angeles County District Attorney Gil Garcetti, expressed a lack of confidence with Chief Parks' handling of the investigation.[20] On September 19, 2000, the Los Angeles City Council voted 10 to 2 to accept a consent decree allowing the U.S. Department of Justice to oversee and monitor reforms within the LAPD for a period of five years. The Justice Department, which had been investigating the LAPD since 1996, agreed not to pursue a civil rights lawsuit against the city. Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan and Police Chief Bernard Parks opposed the consent decree, but were forced to back down in the face of overwhelming support by the city council.[21]

--

Interesting, it seems to be a pretty complicated thing to do.

It's amazing that even after this, the cops found to have been found guilty of all sorts of allegations still got off easy:

--

he Rampart investigation, based mainly on statements of an admitted corrupt officer, initially implicated over 70 officers of wrongdoing. Of those officers, enough evidence was found to bring 58 before an internal administrative board. However, only 24 were actually found to have committed any wrongdoing, with 12 given suspensions of various lengths, 7 forced to resign or retire, and 5 fired.[3] As a result of the probe into falsified evidence and police perjury, 106 prior criminal convictions were overturned.[4] The Rampart scandal resulted in more than 140 civil lawsuits against the city of Los Angeles, costing the city an estimated $125 million in settlements.[5]

--

That's fucked, the worst that can ever happen to a cop is to be fired?

Mertvaya Ruka - 
Cookie Monster - 
Agree Phone Post 3.0

So, status quo?

I fully understand and realize that I'm odd...

But I see it as, "Cops are assholes". That's the main gripe people have. Bullying/assholish behavior.

Well if they're gonna be assholes anyway, why not shift their focus to other assholes instead of those who aren't hurting anyone else?

Change the damn laws so that harmless people don't have to interact with cops to begin with. Johnny pothead waiting in the parking lot for his dealer isn't hurting anyone. Leave him alone and focus on Joe the crackhead down the block. And if Joe happens to catch a slap or two for being a little frisky getting out of his stolen car, oh well.

I don't know numbers or any of that so I could be dead wrong, but it would seem to me that if you limit police interaction over petty victimless bullshit, half the problem disappears right there.

/rant

No, they get senteced every now and then. You just have to look around a bit to find the stories. 

Here's one, for starters:

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-corrupt31jan31-story.html

disbeliever - No way should we want the federal government we have now taking over anything else Phone Post 3.0

sure, but what's the alternative?

Altofsky - 
Mertvaya Ruka - 
Cookie Monster - 
Agree Phone Post 3.0

So, status quo?

I fully understand and realize that I'm odd...

But I see it as, "Cops are assholes". That's the main gripe people have. Bullying/assholish behavior.

Well if they're gonna be assholes anyway, why not shift their focus to other assholes instead of those who aren't hurting anyone else?

Change the damn laws so that harmless people don't have to interact with cops to begin with. Johnny pothead waiting in the parking lot for his dealer isn't hurting anyone. Leave him alone and focus on Joe the crackhead down the block. And if Joe happens to catch a slap or two for being a little frisky getting out of his stolen car, oh well.

I don't know numbers or any of that so I could be dead wrong, but it would seem to me that if you limit police interaction over petty victimless bullshit, half the problem disappears right there.

/rant

I hear you, when you look at the way police forces operate in other first world countries, you often don't find the same problems or the problems are way smaller.

Having a mental illness for example and dealing with the cops seems extremely hazardous in the US.

The police is being militarized as well in the US and there's barely any repercussions for the officers/organization when there is a problem. That culture is very problematic.

The US prisons are full, one way or another they will have to decriminalize some stuff, unless the privatization continues and the lobbyists prevent any change. Not sure what's going to happen there.

I agree, the police should stick to serious crime fighting but currently they are often called to handle situation that they're not trained to deal with and this causes a lot of problems.

Just like pedophiles are attracted to jobs dealing with kids, the police attract all kinds of psychopaths and sociopaths, they need to screen those people out.

It's a complex issue that will only get worse if left unchecked. I don't know if the federal government is the answer, but someone has to clean up shop and implement new regulations if this is going to get better.

Why does every city in Mexico sound like a delicious plate of food? Phone Post 3.0

ttt

Fucking war zone. Phone Post 3.0

BackOffWarchild -

LOL.

Pena Nieto is the TARGET of the protests.  Students and Mexico's middle class want him gone.  He's like a less-intelligent version of Schwarzenegger.  Acting like he's suddenly outraged is fucking hilarious.  Pena Nieto was the cartels' man in the last Mexican presidential election.  The only viable alternative (Mexico's former Secretary of State) "mysteriously" died in a helicopter crash at the beginning of the campaign.

This is such a joke.  Federal and state police are just as corrupt, and in some cases more than, local police.

Pretty much nailed it. I'm not from Mexico, but lots of my family still lives there and they say the same thing. Phone Post 3.0

So when are we going to invade? Phone Post 3.0

this is proof democracy doesn't mean shit.

it's about good governance not about single party vs. democracy.

would you rather live in authoritarian Singapore or democratic mexico?

yeah. thought so.

Democracy is not the be all end all. it's about good government. full stop.

Mertvaya Ruka - 
Cookie Monster - 
Agree Phone Post 3.0

So, status quo?

If the feds took over here, what would it fix?

Tjis Phone Post 3.0