MFC MW Champ Elvis Mutapcic signs with WSOF

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Apr 09, 2013 at 12:15 pm ET

elvis-mutapcic.jpgElvis Mutapcic, considered by many to be one of the top middleweights outside the UFC, is taking his game to the World Series of Fighting.

The 26-year-old Mutapcic (13-2), currently Maximum Fighting Championships' 185-pound champion, has signed a five-fight deal with WSOF, sources close to the promotion told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). The Iowa-based fighter is expected to debut with the promotion later this year.

Mutapcic will bring a five-fight win streak to his WSOF debut, including four finishes. In February, he defended his MFC middleweight title with a five-round unanimous decision win over Sam Alvey at MFC 36. It was just the fourth time in his career Mutapcic had to go the distance.

In October at MFC 35, Mutapcic won MFC's vacant middleweight belt with a third-round TKO of Joe Henle, who like Alvey is a veteran of "The Ultimate Fighter." Two months earlier, he won his MFC debut with a quick first-round TKO of Jacen Flynn at MFC 34.

Mutapcic has not lost since a June 2011 unanimous decision setback to Strikeforce veteran Artenas Young as Shark Fights 16. Two years before that, he suffered his first pro loss, a split call on a regional show in Iowa in his fourth fight.

World Series of Fighting has held two events in its infancy, including this past month's WSOF 2 in Atlantic City, N.J., which featured UFC vet Anthony Johnson taking a unanimous decision from former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski in the main event.

Although not a certainty, Mutapcic could debut with WSOF at its third event, which is expected to take place in June in Las Vegas. Already booked for that card is a welterweight bout between former UFC fighters Jon Fitch and Josh Burkman, who was a winner at WSOF 2 against Aaron Simpson.

His names Elvis? I'm in Phone Post 3.0

I think they'll match him up with Danillo Villefort or David Branch. Phone Post 3.0

I'm kinda surprised the UFC hasn't sought him out. But he should do well in WSOF. Villefort is a good match-up, dunno about Branch though.

This guy is fun to watch though, I remember when he brutally KO'd Mutante.