Mick Foley and Foley is Good

I read this book when it came out and loved it. I must have been 13 or 14.

I just re read it now and my opinion on Foley has changed dramatically. He comes across as an ego maniac know it all in the book, though he tries to conceal it. The attack on the PTC chapter is some of the most holier than thou stuff I've ever read (fuck the PTC though). He talks at length about how serious he wanted his retirement to be and the importance of his legacy. I just read his wiki as I stopped following wrestling around when he "retired" at Hell in a Cell vs Triple H. I almost got a nosebleed trying to follow all the jumping around and random matches he did.

I don't begrudge him pursuing his career. But it's interesting to re read that book knowing everything that has transpired since. I loved it as a kid and my opinion has completely flip flopped reading it as an adult.

Thoughts? Phone Post 3.0

been years since ive read it but thats interesting to hear. i think i enjoyed his second book more than his first

The book isn't a bad read even today, it's him personally that I see in a new light. If you read between the lines you can tell that he's difficult to work with and high maintenance, and holds onto grudges. His attacks, particularly on WCW at the time, are childish. He has an inflated sense of his own intelligence and comes across very hypocritical at times, as well as not being entirely forthright. I almost wish I hadn't re read it.

The interesting part is none of that shines through in Have a Nice Day! It's like he went through a profound change between the 2 writings. Phone Post 3.0

honestly the biggest thing that ive always been curious about with foley, and it should probably be a given, is that he is twisted as fuck and hes got some major skeletons in his closet. tietam brown had some major dark elements in it. id be very curious to know what's the source of all that. death match wrestling and the intense fervor behind alot of his promos isnt exactly like normal

TheBearStare - honestly the biggest thing that ive always been curious about with foley, and it should probably be a given, is that he is twisted as fuck and hes got some major skeletons in his closet. tietam brown had some major dark elements in it. id be very curious to know what's the source of all that. death match wrestling and the intense fervor behind alot of his promos isnt exactly like normal
Exactly! But he tries hard as hell in his first 2 books anyways (which are the only 2 I've read) to seem like that isn't the case. He just comes across as a happy go lucky, normal family man. But all his stories are rife with conflict. I don't think he's a bad guy by any stretch but he's definitely got some major major issues he's working hard to hide. Phone Post 3.0

if i remember correctly in tietram brown the main character grew up in foster care or something like that and was possibly abused. so i wonder if some of that was actually part of foley's past. yeah he doesnt just present as a normal family man. hes a total extreme with his love of rollercoasters and santa. nothing wrong with any of that but their is a huge distinction with all the images foley presents. truth is clearly somewhere else

His first book was fantastic, the following books were awful. I stopped reading Foley is Good when he went on a psychotic rant about the PTC for fucking ages. Phone Post 3.0

The PTC was raising a lot of shit about wrestling then, most of the PTC in the book, as I recall, was a rebuttal of misleading things they had done. Phone Post 3.0

BiggGunn - The PTC was raising a lot of shit about wrestling then, most of the PTC in the book, as I recall, was a rebuttal of misleading things they had done. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, but it's very very childish, mean spirited and just downright classless. He goes on and on about some pseudo study he did himself by taping Cheers reruns and General Hospital, thinking he's some kind of intellectual. It never registered with me when I was young, but I found it cringe worthy now. Phone Post 3.0

What's PTC stand for?

Parents Television Council Phone Post 3.0

JohnMc1 -
MayorPirkle - The book isn't a bad read even today, it's him personally that I see in a new light. If you read between the lines you can tell that he's difficult to work with and high maintenance, and holds onto grudges. His attacks, particularly on WCW at the time, are childish. He has an inflated sense of his own intelligence and comes across very hypocritical at times, as well as not being entirely forthright. I almost wish I hadn't re read it.

The interesting part is none of that shines through in Have a Nice Day! It's like he went through a profound change between the 2 writings. Phone Post 3.0

Have a Nice Day was a great book. Read it in one weekend. I think the success of the book went to his head though. He did seem more full of himself in later books.
Yup. Have a Nice Day is still great to me, it's a pure tale of a kid chasing his dreams and Foley comes across very well in it. I was shocked when re reading Foley is Good though, I couldn't believe how much I disliked him. I suppose it's the difference in perspective between a 14 and 27 year old me reading the book. Phone Post 3.0

TheBearStare - if i remember correctly in tietram brown the main character grew up in foster care or something like that and was possibly abused. so i wonder if some of that was actually part of foley's past. yeah he doesnt just present as a normal family man. hes a total extreme with his love of rollercoasters and santa. nothing wrong with any of that but their is a huge distinction with all the images foley presents. truth is clearly somewhere else

And Tietam Brown's dad's big thing was getting rim jobs. The most memorable part of the story is when, somehow partially through the fault of Tietam, he causes his dad to revert to his old abusive self on his new mother figure. She had made his dad into a nice guy, but then this incident happened and he's listening to their loud sex from the bedroom where his dad is like "Oh yeah baby, lick that rim clean." or whatever the hell he's saying. It's messed up.

Unrelated to the quote, but related to OP, Foley is also super feminist and constantly pushing for more women's wrestling on WWE with a feverish intensity.

My buddy saw Foley's show Saturday in St Augustine and met him afterward. Knowing I'm a huge Foley mark he asked him to call me, which he did and I had like a 3 minute conversation with Mick. It was surreal and shows what a great guy he is. Phone Post 3.0

Bendos Toothpick - My buddy saw Foley's show Saturday in St Augustine and met him afterward. Knowing I'm a huge Foley mark he asked him to call me, which he did and I had like a 3 minute conversation with Mick. It was surreal and shows what a great guy he is. Phone Post 3.0

How come you didn't. Go ?

MayorPirkle - 
JohnMc1 -
MayorPirkle - The book isn't a bad read even today, it's him personally that I see in a new light. If you read between the lines you can tell that he's difficult to work with and high maintenance, and holds onto grudges. His attacks, particularly on WCW at the time, are childish. He has an inflated sense of his own intelligence and comes across very hypocritical at times, as well as not being entirely forthright. I almost wish I hadn't re read it.

Have a Nice Day was a great book. Read it in one weekend. I think the success of the book went to his head though. He did seem more full of himself in later books.
Yup. Have a Nice Day is still great to me, it's a pure tale of a kid chasing his dreams and Foley comes across very well in it. I was shocked when re reading Foley is Good though, I couldn't believe how much I disliked him. I suppose it's the difference in perspective between a 14 and 27 year old me reading the book. Phone Post 3.0

Remembering this is all quite sometime ago, I'm pretty sure that 'Have a nice day" was written pre-big time Foley fame.

I don't live anywhere near St Augustine, I saw him in Port Charlotte last year. Phone Post 3.0

His first two books are good.

His last two were scraping the bottom of the barrel.