Middle-schooler's given gun control assignment

Seventh-Grade Assignment: Write Letters to Lawmakers Begging for Gun Control...

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/georgia-middle-school-gun-control-letter-assignment/

tudents at Hampton Middle School in Hampton, Ga., were given a homework assignment that required them to write a letter asking lawmakers for stricter gun-control laws.

The seventh-grade social-studies assignment, a copy of which was obtained by Blue Lives Matter, stated:

“For this assignment, you are writing a letter to the lawmakers of the United States. The purpose of this letter is to pressure lawmakers to have stricter gun laws in the United States. Your letter should contain at least five complete sentences. Make sure that you use proper grammatical skills when writing your letter,” read the assignment given out by social studies teacher Corey Sanders to his students at Hampton Middle School.

A parent of one of the students, William Lee, told Blue Lives that his son came home from school “and said he had to write a paper on gun control.”

“I looked at it, and I told my son, ‘No, you’re not doing that assignment,’” Lee said. “Then I emailed his teacher the next day and told him that my son would not be writing that.”

Blue Lives reports that the teacher agreed to exempt Lee’s son from the assignment without penalty. According to Lee, there were other parents in the class who had issues with the homework, but they didn’t find out about it until after their children had already turned it in.

This homework was straight-up propaganda, and it has absolutely no place in our schools.

It’s not clear whether the teacher intended to actually mail the letters — but the truth is, it doesn’t really matter. Either way, this homework was straight-up propaganda, and it has absolutely no place in our schools. It was obviously the right decision for the teacher to have excused Lee’s son from the work, but propaganda should never have been given as a homework assignment in the first place.

I understand that it seems to be hip and popular and cool to demand gun control now, but the truth is, there are still millions of Americans in this country who support the Second Amendment. They understand that we have a constitutional right to self-protection, and they also understand basic statistics such as the fact that gun violence has actually declined sharply over the past 25 years.

If this teacher is not one of those people, fine. This is America, and he has the right to believe whatever he wants. He has absolutely no right, however, to use his position as a teacher to attempt to indoctrinate his students, or to assign them homework that demands the students to view the world the way he does — because the students, after all, have a right to their beliefs, too.

According to Blue Lives, the purpose of this class was to teach students about Africa, Asia, and the Middle East — so Lee was confused as to how the subject of gun control even came up in the first place. For me, however, that’s not the problem. If a social-studies teacher wants to bring current events into a middle-school classroom, that’s fine with me, but he did it in the completely wrong way.

The correct way would have been phrasing the assignment to ask the students to write lawmakers expressing their views on gun control — allowing students, if they chose, to say they support no new gun-control measures — but the teacher didn’t do that. He asked the students to write lawmakers expressing his view on gun control, and that is what is completely unacceptable.

Termination

Or how about asking congrss to secure their schools.  Thats really the crux of the problem.  Probably get some good ideas.

Sounds like exactly the type of assignments pussystank the antifa mod would direct students to write.

Akkadian88 -
EFM -

Or how about asking congrss to secure their schools.  Thats really the crux of the problem.  Probably get some good ideas.

Yeah, everyone knows that when it comes to finding solutions to complex problems, 12 year olds are the ones to go to. 

Ya I mean shit bro instead of consulting our engineering team on complex issues I instead text my seventh grader .

Akkadian88 -
EFM -

Yeah, everyone knows that when it comes to finding solutions to complex problems, 12 year olds are the ones to go to. 

Better chance then letting congress solve the problem.

Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -

The problem of how to secure schools? Or of gun control? Either way 12 year olds don't have the answers and assuming they do is so goddamn stupid it defies belief. If you disagree, name a single complex national problem anywhere on the planet at any point in history that was solved by 12 year olds. 

The teacher knows that. The entire purpose of a stunt like this is to further push a Leftist gun ban.

LOL, is this the way the school in PA came up with the rock throwing solution, asked the 7th graders? LMAO

Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -

The problem of how to secure schools? Or of gun control? Either way 12 year olds don't have the answers and assuming they do is so goddamn stupid it defies belief. If you disagree, name a single complex national problem anywhere on the planet at any point in history that was solved by 12 year olds. 

Shouldn't you be out on a ledge somewhere?

Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -

I have no idea what that means, but I'm still waiting on you to tell me of any complex national problem solved by children. 

your reaction to such off handed, tounge in cheek remarks makes me thing you're wound a little tight.  you should go get a massage or something.

EFM - 

I know.

We can secure airports that handled thousands of passengers everyday, but we can't put metal detectors and armed security at schools???

Rashomon -
EFM - 

I know.

We can secure airports that handled thousands of passengers everyday, but we can't put metal detectors and armed security at schools???

Seems like the logical solution.  We protect every other building with valuable items in that way.  Cant think of anything more valuable than our kids.

Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -

I have no idea what that means, but I'm still waiting on you to tell me of any complex national problem solved by children. 

your reaction to such off handed, tounge in cheek remarks makes me thing you're wound a little tight.  you should go get a massage or something.

So since you can't back up your ridiculous assertion that 12 year olds should be tasked to solve the worlds ills, you've devolved into the "you mad bro?" argument, usually used by 12 year olds on xbox live. 

What is it with you and 12 year olds?

If you dont think its possible to ask a group of children a question about a complex idea and get one or two good ideas, you underestimate kids.  

And I didnt say they should be tasked to solve the worlds ills, i suggested it would be a better approach than having them write to congress asking for tougher gun laws, maybe one of them has a better idea.

If you didnt pick up the sarcasm around them coming up with better ideas than congress, i dont know what to tell you.

you go from zero to asshole faster than anyone ive ever come across.  Lighten up a little.

As a teacher, you’re not allowed to impart political views in your lessons, but, thankfully for tenure, it’s not a fireable offense. 

Writing from a perspective you don’t agree with is one of the most beneficial things you can possibly do when learning how to develop a formal argument. It’s typically a standard practice in college level writing classes. 

It teaches, of course, that the quality of an argument doesn’t depend on the opinion being argued. 

The actual assignment document poses it as an imaginary hypothetical. 

That said — 6th grade, Georgia... should have broadened the assignment and anticipated the reaction.

Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -
Akkadian88 -
EFM -

So since you can't back up your ridiculous assertion that 12 year olds should be tasked to solve the worlds ills, you've devolved into the "you mad bro?" argument, usually used by 12 year olds on xbox live. 

What is it with you and 12 year olds?

If you dont think its possible to ask a group of children a question about a complex idea and get one or two good ideas, you underestimate kids.  

And I didnt say they should be tasked to solve the worlds ills, i suggested it would be a better approach than having them write to congress asking for tougher gun laws, maybe one of them has a better idea.

If you didnt pick up the sarcasm around them coming up with better ideas than congress, i dont know what to tell you.

you go from zero to asshole faster than anyone ive ever come across.  Lighten up a little.

If children are so capable at solving complex problems you should have no trouble providing examples, like I've asked you 3 times now. 

You said children are more capable than congress at solving problems and I'm not the only one that pointed out how stupid that is, because it is. It's so, so very stupid. 

I'm not being an asshole and you're not a victim, you're just stupid, and you should be ashamed at how easy it is for others to point out. 

lol.  fuck you're something.

Oddly enough the same middle school has been making the media rounds because a teacher was ranting about the MAGA slogan:

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/americas-never-been-great-georgia-middle-school-teachers-classroom-rant

Some foul magic afoot down in Hampton. 

Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

Writing from a perspective you don’t agree with is one of the most beneficial things you can possibly do when learning how to develop a formal argument. It’s typically a standard practice in college level writing classes. 

It teaches, of course, that the quality of an argument doesn’t depend on the opinion being argued. 

That said — 6th grade, Georgia... should have broadened the assignment and anticipated the reaction.

Yea, they do this in debate / legal classes all over the world.

As long as there was no intention of actually mailing those letters, what's the big fucking deal?

It'd be better if the next assignment was to write the opposing viewpioint as well, of course. 

iclimb513 -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

Yea, they do this in debate / legal classes all over the world.

As long as there was no intention of actually mailing those letters, what's the big fucking deal?

It'd be better if the next assignment was to write the opposing viewpioint as well, of course. 

the big fucking deal is the assigment wasnt structured in such a way as to say "whatever you current view on gun control, take the opposite position and defend it rigorously"!

its was posed as "BEG for lawmakers to pass gun control"

why not assign them "BEG for law makers to repeal abortion rights", "BEG for law makers to repeal the 13th ammendment", etc etc

^ and btw, there are no fucking 7th grader debate teams for a reason