Mike Awesome....

please explain to me how WCW could bury a heavyweught that moved like a luchador and bumped like sabu???

where is he now.....he was the absolute BEST in ECW......why did he not hit the bigtime???

good question he had a ton of talent but was HORRIBLE on the mic thats probably why he didnt catch on in WWE

did he ever work in the WWE???? there alot of guys with less talent and worse mic skills working there now...

The ECW era Mike Awesome was an example of smoke and mirrors booking. Heyman got the other guys to overlook the fact that Awesome was stiff, clumsy and reckless. Content like the Peter Pan moves, being driven through tables, top rope power bombs and the like made him look great with wrestlers willing to sell and take the abuse. Skillful editing really cut out the weak spots and the injuries and other issues the boys went through. Everyone in ECW worked hard to get him over for the good of the company.

A few months later Awesome returned Heyman's generosity by walking out on him without notice and taking the ECW belt with him. Heyman sued WCW and Awesome was forced to return to ECW for one night and Vince himself lent out Taz for the cause. That night Awesome entered and left without going to the dressing room for fear of his safety from the boys. He left that night without incident, but the choices he made would eventually come back to haunt him.

When Awesome went to WCW it was not the same 'protect this guy at all costs' environment and he wound up being quickly exposed. He developed a rep for being sloppy, stiff and injuring his co-workers. After he nearly crippled Booker T he was dubbed the 'career killer' which was an inside joke for a serious problem. His lack of popularity was behind being booked into lame F U gimmicks like 'That 70's Guy' and 'The Fatchick Thriller'.

By the time Vince brought WCW the Mike Awesome he got was a far cry from the illusion Heyman created from a distance. With two bum knees, a reputation for being undependable, careless and sloppy. He displayed no ability to get over aside from the dangerous Peter Pan stunts that are a no go in the safety first environment of WWE. The end of his contract saw him out for surgery and pulling two months of job duty before his release.

It didn't help his WWE cause that in the back he found a locker room filled with the same guys in ECW he walked out on and Paul Heyman himself influencing the booking. As they say, what goes around tends to come around.

Today Mike Awesome still tours Japan and works under The Gladiator gimmick.

"The ECW era Mike Awesome was an example of smoke and mirrors booking. Heyman got the other guys to overlook the fact that Awesome was stiff, clumsy and reckless. Content like the Peter Pan moves, being driven through tables, top rope power bombs and the like made him look great with wrestlers willing to sell and take the abuse. Skillful editing really cut out the weak spots and the injuries and other issues the boys went through."

Thank you very much for clearing that up, that was all I needed to read right there. I've only seen him while I was watching a few months of WCW, and after that I had to wonder wtf this thread was about.

heh, he looked stiff and sloppy from what I remembered, and the most memorable thing I saw him do was powerbomb, or slam Shaggy2dope on top of a bus. Shaggy landed in a manner that caused him to start sliding off the sloped sides of the bus, as he was falling Mike realized what was going on and grabbed Shaggy's foot trying to help. But that only caused Shaggy to land on his neck/head. It was a pretty nasty fall and it made ICP step back from the wrestling scene from what I recall.

he had a sweet mullet though

maybe true but when I saw him vs Masato Tanaka, I started watching ECW.

If only I could find a vid of that scene. It was a pretty tall bus, and a nasty fall. massages neck just thinking about it

maybe true but when I saw him vs Masato Tanaka, I started watching ECW.

they had some outstanding matches....

Tanaka has to have brain damage by now.

how big of a star was he in Japan? I know he held the FMW Brass Knucks title, but I don't recall him bein gthat "over" in FMW.

I totally flipped out when he came out of nowhere and jumped Kevin Nash. Nothing better than seeing your fave from another organization jump your most hated wrestler when you had no idea it was coming.

Q, when and where was that? thanks

It was on Nitro when Nash was in the ring on crutches giving a promo and some dude out of the crowd comes in and hits him from behind and then hits him with a crutch. It was Awesome, he had just been on the TNN show the week before.

Also I remember the commentators on Nitro talking about who had the best powerbombs, they said Awesome was like number 4 then dumbass Tenay said Nash was #1. Nash is the worst.

Bwahahahaha

Nash had the laziest fucking powerbomb I've ever seen and they kept calling it the jack knife powerbomb and yet I thought the jack knife powerbomb had pin at the end.

I've never seen Nash do a clean powerbomb into a pinning position.

I still giggle when I think about the old multiple powerbomb scenarios.

The old boy getting powerbombed is holding on to the other guys head for dear life while he's taking this horrible abuse.

I miss the old school chain suplexes that Benoit and Taz did back in the day.

I screamed like a little kid when Taz Tazplexed Kurt Angle on his debut.

Too bad that was the highlight of Taz's wrestling at the WWE.

Editted becuase of fatigue, alcohol, and just plain ignorance.

lol, I've missed too much good stuff.

From a recent interview...does this sound familiar?

IGN Sports: The DVD shows the part about Mike Awesome and how he left ECW for WCW. Does that play into the fact that he's not in WWE right now?

Paul Heyman: Mike Awesome came to WWE when WWE purchased WCW, and it was the assessment of many with WWE that he just couldn't cut it. Mike Awesome got over in ECW a very certain way. He was given guys like Spike Dudley, who could take some of the biggest beatings on the face of the planet, and he got over on delivering those beatings to those guys. He couldn't do that in WWE, therefore the formula wouldn't be successful. It's the same thing that happened to Raven when he went to WCW. It's the same thing that happened to Public Enemy. Mike just didn't pan out.

I remember Awesome top rope powerbombed Vampiro at a PPV and just about killed him. The back of his head hit the mat first due to the daft way Awesome tried to go for distance. Vampiro went limp and they took him out on a stretcher. I've never liked Awesome since.

Great post Canday.

I remember that Awesome got pinned by a scrub in ECW and Awesome went ballistic on the referee. He powerbombed the ref, then climbed up on the top rope to splash him. As Awesome was getting ready to jump, the ropes collapsed and he came crashing down to the mat. It was hilarious.