Mike Winkeljohn not impressed with NM Gov.

On Friday New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham modified emergency public health orders, easing restrictions on retail operations and requiring everyone to wear a cloth face-covering in public with exceptions for eating, drinking, and exercise. Retailers and houses of worship can operate at 25 percent of their maximum occupancy as determined by fire code. However, the revised orders do not include theaters, performance spaces, entertainment venues, or high-intensity contact services like dine-in restaurants and bars, salons, tattoo parlors, and gyms.

Mike Winkeljohn, co-owner of Albuquerque's Jackson-Wink MMA, was not impressed, and expressed his feelings on the social network.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CATSTxynoWm/?utm_source=ig_embed

Unfortunately, that's not Hitler, Hitler never said that, and Hitler caused the deaths of an estimated 11,000,000 non-combatants, which is difficult - impossible actually - to rationally compare with shuttering gyms for a few more weeks.

3 Likes

I’m no longer a Winkeljohn fan. I don’t want to bash him, so I will leave it at that.

9 Likes
Ministry of Truth - I'm no longer a Winkeljohn fan. I don't want to bash him, so I will leave it at that.
4 Likes
Kirik -

https://www.instagram.com/p/CATSTxynoWm/?utm_source=ig_embed

Unfortunately, that's not Hitler, Hitler never said that, and Hitler caused the deaths of an estimated 11,000,000 non-combatants, which is difficult - impossible actually - to rationally compare with shuttering gyms for a few more weeks so the vulnerable don't get sick to the point that hospitals are overwhelmed.

Yeah, all the overwhelmed hospitals have caused massive furloughs and layoffs for medical personnel and cross the country.

2 Likes

If the local hospitals are not even close to being overwhelmed (sounds like they are not), it's stupid to keep businesses closed this long.

Pro tip: The objective is to flatten the curve.....not eliminate it. (we can't)

More local insight:

https://www.abqjournal.com/1452243/virus-restrictions-putting-nm-hospital-patient-health-at-risk.html  

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys. I removed the remark about hospitals, as it clearly took away from the point.

2 Likes

Another brilliant person in the MMA community looks like a total moron when discussing something aside from just MMA. 

They should make a Celebrity Death Match with him vs Eddie Bravo. 

4 Likes
8flat - 

If the local hospitals are not even close to being overwhelmed (sounds like they are not), it's stupid to keep businesses closed this long.

More local insight:

https://www.abqjournal.com/1452243/virus-restrictions-putting-nm-hospital-patient-health-at-risk.html  

Even bigger pro tip: you can’t simply open things up 100% without taking precautionary steps, such as opening things up in stages and reevaluating risk as new cases pop up which inevitably will, based on what we know about the virus, history, and modelling.

I take the time to go through the hospitilization and mortality trends in different states regularly. Almost every state has massive trends downward in both hospitilizations and deaths. New Mexico is an exception. It's one of the few places where hospitilizations/deaths were still trending up, not down. They definitely seem to have peaked later. They also seem to have stabilized now and are probably about to trend downward.

All that being said, no matter what side you stand on, the idea of not respecting or "being a fan" of someone because they have a different opinion on how to reopen is extremely juvenile and petty. Then again, pettiness and the inability to accept people with different opinons seems to have infected the pysche of most people in our country.

1 Like
Ministry of Truth -
8flat - 

More local insight:

Even bigger pro tip: you can’t simply open things up 100% without taking precautionary steps, such as opening things up in stages and reevaluating risk as new cases pop up which inevitably will, based on what we know about the virus, history, and modelling.

Where did I say there shouldn’t be precautions?  Making this a binary argument is disengenous. 

My bowhunting buddy is a pulmonologist, this is his world.  He can’t stand trump and is centrist/liberal…last week he was shaking his head telling me this is stupid to continue to keep businesses closed while ICUs are empty.  If cases are high, totally different story.  But they’re not.  He called where he works a “zombie hospital”.  I asked him why people think we can eliminate the curve rather than just flatten it, he laughed out loud.  This thing will run its course no matter what we do, most of us will get it by the time a vaccine is ready.

RonaldRaygun -

I take the time to go through the hospitilization and mortality trends in different states regularly. Almost every state has massive trends downward in both hospitilizations and deaths. New Mexico is an exception. It's one of the few places where hospitilizations/deaths were still trending up, not down. They definitely seem to have peaked later. They also seem to have stabilized now and are probably about to trend downward.

All that being said, no matter what side you stand on, the idea of not respecting or "being a fan" of someone because they have a different opinion on how to reopen is extremely juvenile and petty. Then again, pettiness and the inability to accept people with different opinons seems to have infected the pysche of most people in our country.

I live in Albuquerque. Albq and Metro area is around a million people. We have had under 1500 cases and very few deaths. The upward trend is due to 2 areas that combined have under 1/10th of the population and twice the cases. Farmington (I lived there many years) and Gallup both border the Navajo reservation where  the spike in cases happened. The majority of the state including Albuq has been well below the national average. 

1 Like

Before laying into anyone or any coach please consider the amount of stress and mental anguish they are under.

I myself am a gym owner who has had my business and life ripped out from under me. It is a better chance than not that I will go broke and lose everything. All this while living in a country that has managed this crisis almost better than anyone and being a perfectly healthy adult. 

So before you plile on the poor guy, think about how he might be feeling and where some of these ideas may be coming from. 

2 Likes
guitarmanzan -
RonaldRaygun -

I live in Albuquerque. Albq and Metro area is around a million people. We have had under 1500 cases and very few deaths. The upward trend is due to 2 areas that combined have under 1/10th of the population and twice the cases. Farmington (I lived there many years) and Gallup both border the Navajo reservation where  the spike in cases happened. The majority of the state including Albuq has been well below the national average. 

Thanks for the information. This is the kind of data you miss when you just look at the states overall numbers. It's really tough to get a real clear picture unless you live in the state and follow all the developments.

Honestly, I was kind of playing a bit of devil's advocate as I'm in favor of opening up more broadly across the board. That bit of extra information makes it almost impossible to argue against doing so.

For what its worth the quote is false.  Hitler didnt say that.

"There is no record of Hitler saying or writing this statement, and it couldn’t be found in "Mein Kampf," his infamous autobiography and manifesto.

We traced the quotation back to the 2014 novel "Willfully Ignorant," by Pat Miller, who served as a Republican state legislator in Colorado in the early 1990s. Miller’s book uses the quote as a header at the start of a chapter and also falsely cites it as coming from Hitler’s "Mein Kampf".

We reached out to Miller about the quote but did not receive a response.

Besides there being no evidence that Hitler said or wrote these words, in "Mein Kampf" or otherwise, it also represents the opposite of his actions."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2019/apr/01/facebook-posts/did-hitler-say-best-way-control-people-take-little/

snopes.   .    com  /fact-check/hitler-control-quote/

As a Canadian I'm all for the USA testing out different types of openings.

2 Likes
8flat - 
Ministry of Truth -
8flat - 

More local insight:

Where did I say there shouldn’t be precautions?  Making this a binary argument is disengenous. 

My bowhunting buddy is a pulmonologist, this is his world.  He can’t stand trump and is centrist/liberal…last week he was shaking his head telling me this is stupid to continue to keep businesses closed while ICUs are empty.  If cases are high, totally different story.  But they’re not.  He called where he works a “zombie hospital”.  I asked him why people think we can eliminate the curve rather than just flatten it, he laughed out loud.  This thing will run its course no matter what we do, most of us will get it by the time a vaccine is ready.

A) I did not make this a binary argument. You made a general statement that “it’s stupid to keep businesses closed this long”, and I specified.

B) Thanks for the anecdote.

Just_Bleed_Guy -

She's another cunt Democrat. They're getting OBLITERATED in November. 

They want to damage the economy hoping it hurts Trump. It’s going to be an epic backfire. 

Clean sweep coming 

You can find this writing in the fictional section at your local book store.

The election is going to be close. Come to terms with that reality. The only potential blowout is Dems winning the house 2 times in a row via landslide. Whether you or I like it or not, math is real and the Oval Office vision hasnt spread outward at mass. Senate is waivering, due to lack of general legislation passed by majority. Typically GOP grounds are showing signs of flip flop. Dems cant gain substantial support needed to entice rural americans generally. A presidential approval constantly  below 50% = difficult dog fight for the incumbent.

Reality is a good place to land.

Just one more guy who’s business deserves to go down the pan. If you don’t give a shit about your customers, don’t expect them to support you on reopening

Trump will destroy Biden in the debates. People that think this election is going to be close are the same blind mice that didn’t see Trump winning the first time.