Miletich responds to 'shill' commentary

Shill ?? I heard say numerous times in the slow main event , it was slow. And sometimes even fighters put on a calculated fight which can be boring.

No shill , just greatness. Who gives a shot what a blogging douchebag says anyway. Phone Post

Pat has been saying that about Woodley for a while now, its something he believes or he wouldnt keep saying it, its not like he is running around calling everyone 'world class' or the best athlete in the sport, thats his opinion on Woodley

Miletech is a fucking GREAT announcer. One of the very best in MMA. They need to keep that clown Shamrock off the telecast. Phone Post

It was a good article, read it before you blast the author. You can disagree with it but I think he make a valid point.

The article starts off with, "Pat Miletich is the best broadcaster in mixed martial arts at recognizing the action in the cage and explaining it in a way that's accessible to fans."

MDS is offering constructive critism. Miletech shouldn't get so butt hurt.

the_fight_observer - It was a good article, read it before you blast the author. You can disagree with it but I think he make a valid point.

The article starts off with, "Pat Miletich is the best broadcaster in mixed martial arts at recognizing the action in the cage and explaining it in a way that's accessible to fans."

MDS is offering constructive critism. Miletech shouldn't get so butt hurt.

MDS is a legit writer.  He said nothing that was out of bounds.  The booth was far from their best on Friday, Pat included.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rogan. But if you're gonna call Pat a shill, then you must not have much good to say about Joe either.

Both guys are great at what they do, and most of the bloggers that attack these guys are just butthurt because they don't have the job.

It was a very good article from MDS, both respectful & offering constructive criticism. MDS should have been much harsher, because Pat was talking utter shit.

Miletich, the moron who claims that the SF HW Grand Prix 'is the best tournament in the history of MMA' (LOL) immediately shows himself up by asking 'State MDS credentials?' - arguing ad hominem displays a severe lack of intelligence and an admittance that he is indeed wrong and all he can come up with is to attack the person criticising him and not the argument.

PS: Pat also claimed Tarec Saffiedine is "one of the absolute best pure strikers in the sport of MMA." LOL That immediately results in him losing any and all debates he could possibly enter when relating to his shilling.

Archangel - lmao @ MDS Who? never heard of him and never would have had he not called Pat a shill. someones website needs some traffic imo

lol, pretty sure mmafighting.com is one of the biggest sites out there. Doubt they were doing it for traffic.

Plenty of ad hominem on this thread - easy to spot the mentally challenged. They throw terms like Zuffa shill and UFC fanboy around like confetti instead of addressing the point that what Pat was saying is utter bullshit. This SF HW tourny better than the Pride Open-weight Tourny of 2006? Yea, sure it is Pat. Sure it is.

This is absolutely laughable. Miletich is number 1 in the booth as far as I'm concerned.

Let's see what MDS called out Miletich on...

- re: Sergei Kharitanov..."Kharitonov is the guy," Miletich said. "He just performed really well in K-1. He could come out and hurt some people."

Kharitanov sucked in K-1 in 2010.  Q: Who in the fuck is Singh Jaideep?  A: Someone you never heard of who blasted Kharitanov in K-1 last month.

- He called the SF HW tournament the greatest tournament in the history of MMA, without a doubt.  Think about that for a second.  That's a ridiculous statement.

- He said Tarec Saffeidine is one of the best strikers in MMA and his defensive wrestling is "second to none".  Neither of those statements is anywhere close to true.

He overstated a lot of things that he said on Friday night to sell the product, that is shilling.  MDS nailed this.

MDS - 'Miletich frequently overstates the qualities of the fighters. Friday night's main event fighter Tyron Woodley is, according to Miletich, "the best athlete, all-around athlete, to get into MMA," and "not the No. 1 fighter in the world yet, but he's quickly rising." Woodley's opponent, Tarec Saffiedine, is "one of the absolute best pure strikers in the sport of MMA."

Look, Woodley is a good athlete and was a good wrestler in college, but he's not the best athlete in the sport and he's not "quickly rising" toward being the best fighter in MMA. And Saffiedine isn't one of the best pure strikers in MMA. Someone who really is one of the best pure strikers in MMA -- someone like, say, Thiago Alves -- would tear Woodley apart, not lose a decision to him.

When discussing former University of Tennessee special teams standout Ovince St. Preux, Miletich called him, "One of the only guys I've ever seen go from a high level of football into a high level of MMA." It's actually not all that uncommon for football players to give MMA a try, and there are two active UFC fighters, Brendan Schaub and Matt Mitrione, who were much better football players than St. Preux. I don't expect Miletich to mention Schaub and Mitrione, though, because he typically pretends the UFC doesn't exist during Strikeforce broadcasts.

In discussing the upcoming Strikeforce heavyweight tournament, Miletich called it "the best tournament, ever, in the history of MMA, without a doubt." I'm excited for that tournament and hope it goes off without a hitch, but even if it exceeds expectations, it wouldn't be close to the best tournament in MMA history. And at the end of the broadcast, Miletich was asked to identify a dark horse in the eight-man tournament field, and he chose Sergei Kharitonov.

"Kharitonov is the guy," Miletich said. "He just performed really well in K-1. He could come out and hurt some people."

Kharitonov most certainly did not just perform really well in K-1. At last month's K-1 World Grand Prix 2010, Kharitonov was TKO'd in the first round by a mediocre opponent named Singh Jaideep.

If Friday night's show were an anomaly, I'd give Miletich a pass. But he's done it before. During the fight between Josh Thomson and JZ Calvan in October, Miletich said both of them were among the Top 5 lightweights in mixed martial arts. Thomson and JZ are both fine fighters, but no one thinks either of them -- let alone both of them -- is among the Top 5 lightweights in the world. USA Today and SB Nation compile MMA rankings from several different sources into a consensus Top 25, and after the Thomson-JZ fight, those rankings had Thomson as the 16th best lightweight and JZ not even in the Top 25.'

When are you mugs attacking MDS and defending Pat going to address these points? You know, what was actually said and whether or not Pat was correct? Instead of just crying 'UFC shill!' every time a journo criticises anything that isnt UFC.

It's true, Pat is the best commentator Strikeforce has, but he gets carried away with the rah-rah hyperbole sometimes. Probably spending too much time with Mauro has made him think that hyping everything to the moon like a pro wrestling announcer is the way it's supposed to be done.

maxmain - 
Graceful Kauto - MDS - 'Miletich frequently overstates the qualities of the fighters. Friday night's main event fighter Tyron Woodley is, according to Miletich, "the best athlete, all-around athlete, to get into MMA," and "not the No. 1 fighter in the world yet, but he's quickly rising." Woodley's opponent, Tarec Saffiedine, is "one of the absolute best pure strikers in the sport of MMA."

Look, Woodley is a good athlete and was a good wrestler in college, but he's not the best athlete in the sport and he's not "quickly rising" toward being the best fighter in MMA. And Saffiedine isn't one of the best pure strikers in MMA. Someone who really is one of the best pure strikers in MMA -- someone like, say, Thiago Alves -- would tear Woodley apart, not lose a decision to him.

When discussing former University of Tennessee special teams standout Ovince St. Preux, Miletich called him, "One of the only guys I've ever seen go from a high level of football into a high level of MMA." It's actually not all that uncommon for football players to give MMA a try, and there are two active UFC fighters, Brendan Schaub and Matt Mitrione, who were much better football players than St. Preux. I don't expect Miletich to mention Schaub and Mitrione, though, because he typically pretends the UFC doesn't exist during Strikeforce broadcasts.

In discussing the upcoming Strikeforce heavyweight tournament, Miletich called it "the best tournament, ever, in the history of MMA, without a doubt." I'm excited for that tournament and hope it goes off without a hitch, but even if it exceeds expectations, it wouldn't be close to the best tournament in MMA history. And at the end of the broadcast, Miletich was asked to identify a dark horse in the eight-man tournament field, and he chose Sergei Kharitonov.

"Kharitonov is the guy," Miletich said. "He just performed really well in K-1. He could come out and hurt some people."

Kharitonov most certainly did not just perform really well in K-1. At last month's K-1 World Grand Prix 2010, Kharitonov was TKO'd in the first round by a mediocre opponent named Singh Jaideep.

If Friday night's show were an anomaly, I'd give Miletich a pass. But he's done it before. During the fight between Josh Thomson and JZ Calvan in October, Miletich said both of them were among the Top 5 lightweights in mixed martial arts. Thomson and JZ are both fine fighters, but no one thinks either of them -- let alone both of them -- is among the Top 5 lightweights in the world. USA Today and SB Nation compile MMA rankings from several different sources into a consensus Top 25, and after the Thomson-JZ fight, those rankings had Thomson as the 16th best lightweight and JZ not even in the Top 25.'

When are you mugs attacking MDS and defending Pat going to address these points? You know, what was actually said and whether or not Pat was correct? Instead of just crying 'UFC shill!' every time a journo criticises anything that isnt UFC.

Now when an example of shill is needed...^^^
It's not shilling, it's stating fact.  Miletich was way over the top with what he was saying, numerous examples were given. 

Mike Goldberg does this all the time.

Pat does a great job..Renallo and Quadros are fucking horrible...........

lol at maxmain displaying how retarded he is. I ask people to stop arguing ad hominem and to address the points....and what does he do? LOL Calls me a shill and DOESN'T address the points.

Exactly. Might as well get retarded tattooed on his forehead, wave a white flag and hold up a banner stating "I have no evidence to back up my opinion and do not seek to enter into reasonable debate as I know I will get owned, so I will just call someone a name and hope that will suffice"

MDS is a pro-Zuffa writer. Go look at his article history. Critical of the SF Tourney before it takes place, wrote an article praising Zuffa's matchmaking as "chess and not checkers" when it changes so frequently and actually used Silva vs Belfort as an example. Never seen him criticize Zuffa ever. It seemed like it pained him to write the Chael Sonnen story.

Graceful Kauto - MDS - 'Miletich frequently overstates the qualities of the fighters. Friday night's main event fighter Tyron Woodley is, according to Miletich, "the best athlete, all-around athlete, to get into MMA," and "not the No. 1 fighter in the world yet, but he's quickly rising." Woodley's opponent, Tarec Saffiedine, is "one of the absolute best pure strikers in the sport of MMA."

Brock Lesnar is the "BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET". How many times did we hear that? "This is the biggest fight in UFC history." What's wrong with Miletich thinking Woodley is one of the best athletes in MMA? He also said he is "quickly rising", again what's wrong with that? How many times has Rogan and Goldie given someone "K1 Level striking" as a compliment? How many Black guys has Goldberg labeled "athletic" and "explosive" so much that it's a fucking joke?

Alves would win because hes a better overall MMA fighter. "Pure striking" talent doesn't make you a better MMA talent than someone.

"One of the only guys". That means he's including a few. Now how many top football players can we name that have gone into MMA and made the main card of a broadcast and still fight. Mitrione, Schaub. Walker, and OSP. Any more? Wow, looks like that wasn't a shill statement at all.

Strikeforce is a PROMOTION. What's the root word? Promote. It's his job to promote fights and promote his show as the best as long as he isn't going overboard. MDS is nitpicking, but he doesn't show that same nitpicking when it comes to Zuffa.

Im no shill. Rogan and Goldberg do the same exact fucking thing. I suppose im now an anti-Zuffa shill because I said that? Or maybe I just call bullshit when I see it.

But you maxmain are a bitch. Because you can't admit that Pat was talking utter bullshit. At least BlackLesnar made an effort to address some points, unlike you.

Black, one simple question - is this SF HW tourny the best in MMA history?

Also, in a simple kickboxing match, Id have Alves to destroy Tarec every day of the week. Also, Woodley is not quickly rising. That is what is wrong with calling him quickly rising. He is not.

Further more, what about his views on Sergei? I notice you didn't mention that in your repost. Sergei has just done really well in K1, he said. NO HE FUCKING DIDN'T. That is an outright LIE. Goldberg and Rogan might overhype things sometimes, but they do not blatently lie like Pat did. Id be interested to hear your views on this, you know, ALL of Pat's comments, not just the ones you think you can defend.

Pat is a moron in my opinion because of his lies. You are a moron in my opinion for doing everything you can to avoid a debate and instead arguing ad hominem. Hope this helps.

PS: Im pretty sure you don't know what ad hominem is, so go look it up. Theres a good lad.

AxeAnApple - This is mma, not drama. Who cares if youre called a "shill or w.e that is" or not, this aint wwe.

As a fan, I want analysts/commentators who accurately describe the fighters and action I am watching, not someone blowing smoke up my ass in the name of the organization.

Reason #1 Mike Goldberg sucks.