Military And Lying on MEPS Application

I visit military forums a lot. Any time some kid asks if he should reveal he has a medical issue or smoked weed a couple times. People are always like "you must be honest and tell the truth. The military believes in honesty only."

They usually talk a poor dude into telling the truth about some small thing and he gets disqualified. His hopes and dreams down the toilet.

Yet.... Every military guy talks about the greatest military badass of all time. Audie Murphy.

A dude who lied about his age to get into the military. Phone Post 3.0

Subbed Phone Post 3.0

I would never advise that. I always tell kids that if its not recorded publically or if its patient client priviledged information then its none of their business.

1997, I was in transportation briefing, about to receive my tickets to San Diego, basic training with the U.S.M.C.  A MEPS Marine comes in and calls my name.  He says that they need to talk to me.  I go in and speak with the MEPS Commander and he asks me about my conviction as a minor.  I tell him the truth and that I had disclosed everything with my recruiter.  He said it was not disclosed on my paperowork.  I am told I won't be shipping out that day and that they would contact me.  Due to the nature of my conviction as a minor, my recruiter thought it would be best to hide it and not disclose it.  I am basically called a liar and not allowed to serve in the military.  My parents and I fought it and eventually the truth came out, which took over a year.  I had a high ranking official come visit me at my house, apologized and tried to get me to renlist.  I told him I appreciated the offer but after the shit I had to deal with, I didn't think the military was the right decision. 

Even when you TRY to tell the TRUTH, you're fucked regardless.

The thing is if you lie and they find out you knowingly lied it can be a problem. Although I know of only 2 people that ever happened to and both just got medically seperated on pre-existing conditions.

An Army recruiter put it to me this way: "If you SAY you have a college degree, you have to provide proof. If a doctor has not diagnosed you with allergies, then you can not say for certain that you DO have allergies..."

The point he was making is that if you can't prove it, then you can't claim it happened.

Had a buddy that had two knee surgeries enlist. He was asked about the scars during a medical exam so he lied and said he fell. Doctor looked at him and told him straight up that he's lying and he needs to tell the truth. My buddy stuck to his story. Couldn't prove otherwise, so it had to be let go. Phone Post 3.0

Lol what fucking military forums do you go to Phone Post 3.0

VinegarStrokes -

The thing is if you lie and they find out you knowingly lied it can be a problem. Although I know of only 2 people that ever happened to and both just got medically seperated on pre-existing conditions.

Yup. Knew a guy that did coke a few times before enlisting and said no on the paperwork.
Fast forward a couple years and he'd gotten into some second hand trouble. During the OSI investigation they confronted him with the past drug use and he was fucked. Dumb ass had told a couple of friends and they snitched on him. Bad conduct discharge almost immediately.

Bottom line...if you're gonna lie, take that shit to the grave with you. Phone Post 3.0

I had enlisted to be an MP. My whole life was mapped out. Serve as MP, leave, go to police academy and then into the police force.

Before i went to MEPS i went to a party. Probably 2 months before. At the party everyone was smoking weed. I was asked ot partake, declined. I was drinking though. At one moment in the night some chick comes over and says since I won't smoke it, just eat the roach. " It won't do anything. "

I eat the tiny roach. Obviously didn't do shit. At MEPS i told them the truth. Told them that in my life I had eaten one tiny roach. No other drugs, nada. They disqualified me from being an MP. I should have lied.

I subsequently decided not to enlist.

Shogun of Harlem -
WendyIDMT - 
VinegarStrokes -

Yup. Knew a guy that did coke a few times before enlisting and said no on the paperwork.
Fast forward a couple years and he'd gotten into some second hand trouble. During the OSI investigation they confronted him with the past drug use and he was fucked. Dumb ass had told a couple of friends and they snitched on him. Bad conduct discharge almost immediately.

Bottom line...if you're gonna lie, take that shit to the grave with you. Phone Post 3.0

LOL - the OSI Investigator tricked him.

In Boot Camp the people in charge would scare everyone and say - we have talked to your friends, you better come clean. They don't talk to anyone and get people to confess.
No trickery. They actually had signed statements from his friends stating he had mentioned it to them AND he also told the friends he put never used on the forms so the AF would take him.
They showed him the statements. Phone Post 3.0

Matter of fact. I talked to a couple of those friends and believe they were the ones tricked into writing the statements on him. He was fucked before OSI even started talking to him. Phone Post 3.0

Same thing goes for trying to get into law enforcement. If you were never in trouble for it lie your ass off and if you have to take a polygraph just stick to your lie. Phone Post 3.0

Shogun of Harlem -
WendyIDMT - Matter of fact. I talked to a couple of those friends and believe they were the ones tricked into writing the statements on him. He was fucked before OSI even started talking to him. Phone Post 3.0

I don't believe it. How did they know who his friends were? Did he give him those names? No way the military is going to go to that lengths to bust someone BEFORE the military.

Was this for a Top Secret clearance or was he just in trouble in the military?
They had suspicions due to him getting in trouble during a fight. One of the other parties involved in said melee mentioned something to the cops. Cops told OSI and OSI started questioning friends. They turned over on him FAST. Phone Post 3.0

Had a buddy who told us a similar story when he was in MEPS. He qualified for Navy Cryptographic Technician and was guaranteed his Apprenticeship school.(MOS rating) On the verge of getting top of the line training and a Top Secret SCI clearance position that would have set him up nicely upon getting out of the Navy

Chief (E7) at Meps asks him if there is anything he wants to confess, a last chance to be honest in case he lied about anything during his screening. Chief goes through the Navy Core Values, and reiterates the importance about coming clean.

Buddy caves under the pressure and starts crying, confessing that he has smoked marijuana multiple times when he was younger... they revoke his A school and he decides to still join as an undesignated seaman. (Basically a glorified Janitor)

RockTheVote -
RefriedJinx - I visit military forums a lot. Any time some kid asks if he should reveal he has a medical issue or smoked weed a couple times. People are always like "you must be honest and tell the truth. The military believes in honesty only."

They usually talk a poor dude into telling the truth about some small thing and he gets disqualified. His hopes and dreams down the toilet.

Yet.... Every military guy talks about the greatest military badass of all time. Audie Murphy.

A dude who lied about his age to get into the military. Phone Post 3.0
Lol none of those people sound like they've served... Phone Post 3.0
Exactly. Almost everyone lies in one way or another. Whether it be previous drug use or injuries, almost everyone lies. As long as there isn't some sort of paper trail, like a conviction, they will never know. The list of shit that gets you disqualified is absolutely ridiculous. If everyone was 100% honest, no one would get in. Phone Post 3.0

Shogun of Harlem -
WendyIDMT - 
Shogun of Harlem -
WendyIDMT - Matter of fact. I talked to a couple of those friends and believe they were the ones tricked into writing the statements on him. He was fucked before OSI even started talking to him. Phone Post 3.0

I don't believe it. How did they know who his friends were? Did he give him those names? No way the military is going to go to that lengths to bust someone BEFORE the military.

Was this for a Top Secret clearance or was he just in trouble in the military?
They had suspicions due to him getting in trouble during a fight. One of the other parties involved in said melee mentioned something to the cops. Cops told OSI and OSI started questioning friends. They turned over on him FAST. Phone Post 3.0

What kind of fight? Military fight? Civilian Fight?

I still don't believe it. Sorry, from my 26 years in the military and seeing these things, conducting a general Captain Mast myself, etc - it just seems untrue.
He and another guy got into a fight in the dayroom of their dorm. The guy he fought was already in trouble for various things to include drug use and was in the process of being kicked out. He and Frank were actually running buddies so the reason for the fight is a mystery. They hauled both in and in the process of random questioning, witnesses included, someone told the cops that Frank and the druggy were friends and Frank was probably doing drugs too. I guess it went from there. All I know is that since Frank and I worked together, I was being questioned as well.
Had no idea the little shit was doing crack (confirmed a few days later). I already explained the rest of it. Believe it or don't. Not a good enough story to make it up.
I retired at 23 years since we're throwing service credentials out there. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah Audie Murphy, looks like you spelled Chesty Puller wrong Phone Post 3.0

You always lie. ALWAYS, unless they can prove otherwise. I got a gig as a Marine Security Guard. I've seen over 50+ guys get denied from this for admitting they sometimes cosume more than 3 alcoholic drinks in a sitting, or have blacked out in their life. Poor saps.

What's said on the paperwork will have to remain what you say for the rest of the time you serve....